Pokemon Global Link Goes Live, Offers Overpowered Pokemon

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Global Link Goes Live, Offers Overpowered Pokemon

Do Pokemon dream of electric rats?

As it turned out, Pokemon Black & White, the latest entrants in the tremendously successful Pokemon franchise, were actually pretty awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8692-Review-Pokemon-Black-White-Versions]. But while the game itself was great, and many of the new online features looked nifty, gamers couldn't check out one of the biggest new additions to the franchise - the Pokemon Global Link, and the Pokemon Dream World - since the servers weren't online.

That's now changed. The Pokemon Global Link [http://en.pokemon-gl.com/] is up and running, and if you have Pokemon Black & White you can hook your DS up to the interwebs and sync your game to the website.

So, what's the point of it? While the Global Link adds the Global Battle Union to keep track of your statistics from PvP matches online, the main feature is the Pokemon Dream World, a semi-social game that allows players to obtain Pokemon not native to the new Unova region, as well as Pokemon with abilities they might not naturally acquire in the games.

It's kind of complicated, but here's the gist of it: You tuck one of your Pokemon into bed in the game, which links it to the website [http://en.pokemon-gl.com/]. Once there, you can play a number of minigames and interact with other trainers and dreaming Pokemon (in theory, I haven't figured out how to do this yet) as well as obtain and trade special items. As you can see here, I sent my Lampent into the dream world to test it out for myself.

By walking down the Dream Road, you can encounter Pokemon and items, and must play minigames in order to befriend them. I helped a Kangaskhan search for a Bonsly (and found it with less than 10 seconds to spare), and piled ice cream for a Bidoof and Farfetch'd - but I really, really suck at the ice cream game.

It's an interesting little experiment, and it'll definitely keep me coming back for more. I mean, in the Dream World you can catch a Ninetales with the ability Drought [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Drought]. Do you have any idea how overpowered that is?

It learns Solarbeam, too. Just to make things worse. Sheesh.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
About time they got that thing up and running.

What?! You can catch a Ninetails that can use that? Hmm.... I shall investigate this further.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Drought Ninetails is nothing. Drizzle Politoed is where it's at. Just ask my Kabutops, Ludicolo, and Kingdra! =D

But seriously, I think I'll try this out this weekend. I want some more Pokemon. Can't really remember which ones I want, though. I think the only ones I really wanted were Eevee and Growlithe, but I already got those through trade...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I can see the tournament league having a problem about dream world pokemon in the future.

A Ninetails with the drought ability reminded me of Okami for some reason...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Oh my god lol. Before I even read the post I was coming here to brag about my ninetales. It rapes bitches. Solarbeam, solarbeam everywhere.
Heart of Darkness said:
Drought Ninetails is nothing. Drizzle Politoed is where it's at. Just ask my Kabutops, Ludicolo, and Kingdra! =D

But seriously, I think I'll try this out this weekend. I want some more Pokemon. Can't really remember which ones I want, though. I think the only ones I really wanted were Eevee and Growlithe, but I already got those through trade...
Too bad drizzle+swift swim is banned.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'm waiting for my Guts Flareon and Hydration Vaporeon. I think you'll see a lot of the latter in the Uber tiers paired with Kyogre, or just a lot of people running it with a rain dance set or in a rain dance team.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
yea good luck actually finding said ninetails

note you can only access the dream world for 1 hour every 24 hours

also ninetails and vulpix only apper after you score 10,000+ dream points within dream world

and if you do catch said ninetails/vulpix or other dream world abilty pokemon and hope of breeding offspring with the DW ability then it better be female becuse male dream pokemon dont pass theirs on and even if it is female it still might not

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Surely Drowzee (or anyone with Dream Eater) would just rule the dream world with an Iron fist.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Heart of Darkness said:

But Draught Ninetails with Solar Beam? That's just....insane, I mean, I'm jelly right now.

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
Some of the DW combos are just absurd. I can't even believe that they added hydration to vaporeon :| it was already one of the best water walls. Fortunately ferrothorn exists purely to spit in the eye of all them politoed drizzle teams.

So far DW is actually pretty fun though, got myself a cloud nine likitung and harvest exegute. Also, while I haven't tested this (too busy with ranked online), I think you can breed DW males with ditto to pass on their ability, although I may not be correct about this.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
The one hour time limit is a *****. I assume it's due to server traffic, but it's still annoying. I only managed to find a Mareep, and then I couldn't do anything else until I woke my Pokemon up and caught Mareep, and now I can't go back on for 24 hours.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
thedeathscythe said:
Heart of Darkness said:

But Draught Ninetails with Solar Beam? That's just....insane, I mean, I'm jelly right now.
A lot of Fire Pokemon can learn both Sunny Day and Solar Beam, anyway. Yeah, one that can start firing off Solar Beams as fast as possible is nice, but Ninetail's Special Attack is just average. Great for taking out Rock and Ground Pokemon that might give Ninetails trouble, but not as useful against bulky Water-types, especially if they know Rain Dance (or are either Drizzle Politoed or Cloud Nine Golduck).

Not to mention how broken rain is in the games, anyway. Under sun, Pokemon can only either get double speed or boosted STAB fire attacks, but rain can double the speed of Swift Swim Pokemon while giving them boosted STAB water-attacks, too. Not to mention perfectly accurate Thunders and Hurricanes, too. =/

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
llafnwod said:
Dr. Paine said:
Soviet Heavy said:
John Funk said:
Do Pokemon dream of electric rats?
Nice reference there. Now you have me thinking of android pokemon running riot.
Actually, pokemon dream of Mareep.
I was wondering how they missed this one. Pokemon has an electric sheep.
Which are in turn apparently references to 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' :D

hctib_elttil

Sep 24, 2010
serperior gets an ability that when ever its stats would be lowered they are instead raised by that amount instead
including leaf storm which normaly drops its special attack but 2 would now raise its spec attack by 2

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Eri said:
Heart of Darkness said:

Too bad drizzle+swift swim is banned.
Yeah, I know. Doesn't stop it from being any more broken.

I almost want a Grass/Fire Pokemon with Chlorophyll to come about next generation, just so Sun teams can actually be a viable alternative to Rain.

manythings said:
Surely Drowzee (or anyone with Dream Eater) would just rule the dream world with an Iron fist.
Now that's just silly. Drowzee can't learn Dream Eater by himself, nor can he have the Iron Fist ability. Although a Drowzee with Iron Fist wouldn't be so bad, actually...

Also, this is relevant:

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
I've been getting frustrated, for so long, trying to connect, from time to time. I never knew, that they had kept it, offline, since the beginning.