Pokemon is it strange that I'm still playing?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
higgs20 said:
Gxas said:
higgs20 said:
Gxas said:
higgs20 said:
Gxas said:
snip
snip
snip
snip
well i did just convince his grandfather that his name had the word penis in it, i'm hoping that will put enough of a dent in his confidence that i will be able to crush him in all of our encounters from here on out, and assuming that goes to plan when i inevitably defeat him and become the pokemon league champion i'll be sure to say bye before i disappear to train in a mountain 5 minutes away from your lab to sit in a corner and wait for a small child who looks unsettlingly like me to come and beat me with his odd pokemon that never existed when i was young.
Well, I will be sure to bestow the same task of filling the Pokédex on him that I did you. In fact, I'll probably just forget this meeting ever happened. I mean, I did forget my grandson's name, after all.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Worgen said:

this perfectly illustrates the pokemon effect
This guy has got it.
Everyone loved Pokemon in elementary school, everyone was "too cool" for it in middle school, and in high school everyone I know loves it.

Lvl 100 (without cheats) Blaziken ftw!

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
Are you to old to be playing Pokemon? Never, I shout. Thou shalt not feel embarrassment in thy soul. Pokemon is a brilliant series. If people make fun of you, threaten them with your level 100 Mewtwo, max stats. That'll send them packing.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Worgen said:

this perfectly illustrates the pokemon effect
Yeah pretty much this, IMO Black and White is one of the best things to happen to the series in terms of creativity, but the names get stupid on occasion (Oshawott, Conkeldurr, WTH guys)

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
18 here, and still playing Diamond, which isn't even close to the best Pokemon game, by far. Hell, half of my High School still plays - even during school. The new wireless trades/battles is so much more convenient than the old cord system.

Meilow

Dec 5, 2009
I'm 22 and I plan on buying it. It holds my attention for a long time (one thing that I look for in a game). Even if it is the same "go here and defeat THE SAME 8 FUCKERS YOU BEAT IN THE LAST 7 GAMES!" Congratulations! Here's 8 more!

I personally think the game needs more of something, not more pokemon. What's it at now anyways? 900? 1200? I lost count after 251, went into Heart Gold completely blind to the fact new ones had come out.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I must admit I'm struggling to understand the appeal in pokemon games. Recently, a friend of mine convinced me to try SoulSilver, and I thought it was nice. But I vaguely remember playing one of the earliest games, and aside from the graphics, it didn't change much. Actually, I think it was merely updated. They don't seem to have particularly intensive story or quests, the mechanics have remained largely the same since the first one, and adding more pokemon sounds like DLC material to me. Does the series innovate at all?

And now this Black/White thing is coming although SoulSilver/HearGold is relatively new. What warrants a sequel so soon? Could some pokemon fan explain this phenomenon to me? Because from an outsider's perspective they look like many iterations the same game. I don't mean to attack the fandom or anything, I'm just wondering what drives the whole thing.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I'm 20, I still play it, it's a good game and people who are against it because it's 'childish' are too immature to give it a try... actually that really goes hand in hand with the pic on page 1.

Sep 17, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Yes, i do believe if youre in your twenties it's a lil too old to play pokemon
Question: Why? The Pokemon series are simple RPGs to casually play that offer enough complexity for a thriving metagame. What is so wrong with it?
Still a childrens game

Yeah and Invader Zim is a Children's cartoon
And many consider all video games for children. It does not mean they are right. If you are not willing to let your inner child thrive through nostalgia and fun then you are just going to turn out to be a very boring and sad adult.

So I say turn on that DS and watch all of those old Nickelodeon cartoons! I know I will be.

wastedyouth89

Mar 9, 2009
In my opinion, it applies the same as any game. The game is good; simple as that. Yes, they are aimed more at children, but a good game can be enjoyed by anyone. And I agree with everyone else. College kids do still play pokemon, even if it is for nostalgia.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
"There are those not in the target audience but are the truest fans."

-Winston of Subnormality

I will love Pokemon forever, played since Red and Blue, they've been getting better ever since.

Black and White are nigh!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Seneschal said:
I must admit I'm struggling to understand the appeal in pokemon games. Recently, a friend of mine convinced me to try SoulSilver, and I thought it was nice. But I vaguely remember playing one of the earliest games, and aside from the graphics, it didn't change much. Actually, I think it was merely updated. They don't seem to have particularly intensive story or quests, the mechanics have remained largely the same since the first one, and adding more pokemon sounds like DLC material to me. Does the series innovate at all?

And now this Black/White thing is coming although SoulSilver/HearGold is relatively new. What warrants a sequel so soon? Could some pokemon fan explain this phenomenon to me? Because from an outsider's perspective they look like many iterations the same game. I don't mean to attack the fandom or anything, I'm just wondering what drives the whole thing.
The games seem the same because they essentially are. There have been minor tweaks to streamline the story play, and the different regions help that. New Pokémon are there so that people don't get bored catching the same 150 over and over again.

Seriously though, you say that you've tried the game, take a look at the meta-game sometime. Pokémon has one of the most hardcore competitive scenes that I have ever seen.

Soul Silver and Heart Gold were remakes of older games in the series, they just updated the graphics and fixed everything that they had improved on with the third and fourth generations of the game (certain stat fixes as well as moveset changes). Black and White are true sequels, while Heart Gold and Soul Silver were just fan pleasing remakes.

If you don't really understand the series now, you probably won't ever really understand it.

Personally, I think that these are the best games that have ever been made and I will continue to support the franchise until it's death.

EDIT: There was a great article that I read detailing just how much the games have changed since the first generation. I'm trying to pull that up again.

EDIT2: Here it is. [http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html] A wonderful read.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:
I remember being on a collage campus out in California and seeing people walking around with pokewalker on.
Funny story. I know about 5 people who played pokemon in grade school and picked it up again in college. The difference now is they can be much more logical about it. In grade school it was "I like this pokemon" or "this pokemon looks cool" with little balance of the party. Now they did all the research on the evs, ivs, average stats, and just have this encyclopedic(bulbapedic if you will) knowledge of all the pokemon that exists. It seems you don't start to play pokemon until you hit college.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
No one is too old, too mature, too "hard" to play Pokemon.
The people who typically tell me they think they're too old to be playing Pokemon are, oddly, younger than me. They are typically High School aged, and are completely foreclosed on brightly colored, light-hearted games like Pokemon. Instead, the constantly opt for "hardcore" games such as Bulletstorm, or Dead Space.

Not that there's anything wrong with those games, but variety is the spice of life, and there's no reason I can't enjoy explosive gunmetal-gray action in, say, CoD, and still enjoy the brightly colored joys of Pokemon. Yes, it's made to be kid friendly, and yes, as an RPG it's not the deepest, but there's no reason to consider yourself to old to play one game, and not another. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. Forget the judgment of the uninformed.

WhatIsThisIDontEven

Jan 18, 2011
I liked Pokemon Ruby and before. I just don't have the money, time, or interest in playing the new Pokemon games. I liked the GBA and GBC ones the best.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Yes, i do believe if youre in your twenties it's a lil too old to play pokemon
Question: Why? The Pokemon series are simple RPGs to casually play that offer enough complexity for a thriving metagame. What is so wrong with it?
Still a childrens game
I completely agree.

How are you supposed to know you're an adult unless you see blood and tits everywhere?

If kids are allowed to play it, then playing it makes me a kid. Flawless logic.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Put it this way - I am 19, and recently played Pokémon Gold up to the elite four, and I'm currently playing Fire Red.

It is fucking awesome. Haters gone hate.

Keep on playing (Y)

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Well, I'm 20, and currently enjoying Soul Silver, with white on pre-order.

If you enjoy it, do it. Too old doesn't exist!

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I'll turn 18 in a couple weeks and pokemon will probably be the first game I buy.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Gxas said:
Pokémon is certainly not a children's game. Not one bit.
I hope that's hyperbole. Not to judge you, but Pokemon is most certainly a "kid's game" at heart, and is at the very least very kid friendly.

While it's very ignorant to dismiss the game as only for the under 7 crowd, it's equally ignorant (in the other direction) to claim that Pokemon isn't for kids because (just quoting the most common reason) they don't understand the greater meta-game or whatever.

Pokemon is timeless, Pokemon is for everyone. It doesn't belong to one age group, or one generation, it can be enjoyed by everyone. It's extremely accessible, and that's where its true power lies.