Pokemon Research Proves Squirtle To Be Best Starter

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well in terms of stats and such...yeah I think it was fairly commonly known.

HOWEVER.

TEAM BULBA FOR LIFE.
(Just wait, one day there will be street gangs divided up by which starter type you champion. Gah.)

The ONLY time I didn't choose a grass starter was R/S generation. Blaziken was just too powerful and too cool to pass up.
I did however obtain emerald and take on Sceptile after.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Cognimancer said:
For example, many trainers favor Fire-type starters because wild Fire-types are consistently very rare.
Not in X/Y they aren't. And I can't find a decent grass-type aside from Simisage.
And Charizard is the coolest Pokémon in the universe. FACT.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
I like the Smash Bros. Brawl approach: Squirtle is best stage 1, Ivysaur is best stage 2, Charizard is best stage 3.

Although I also agree with Tanis above me; Chikorita is objectively the best of all starters in all games, and I'll stab anyone who says otherwise.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think the research probably failed to take into account that Charmander is objectively the best starter

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Charizard can mega evolve into a dragon. Therefore it is objectively the best. I dare you to say its not to its face!

...although squirtle is pretty awesome too.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, or where you've been...

Swampert's got your number.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
The biggest mistake that this study and most pokemon players make is that your attacks being super effective is not the most important thing. The most important thing is that your enemy's attacks are not very effective. The best defense is a good offense doesn't always apply.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So, this guy's scientific research amounts to "his stats get better when he evolves" and "overall Water types are effective against the Kanto League"?

My science project on whether or not there's always room for ice cream was more scientific than that!

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Disagree. Bulbasaur is the best one. Charmander gives the player an awful start, while Squirtle is consistently average, and Bulbasaur makes the beginning of the game really easy, and once its usefulness wears out, you have more options to work with. Bulbasaur has access to the ridiculously overpowered Toxic/Leech Seed combination, as well.

Does this study take into account alternatives to the starters? I ask because there are many, frankly better, alternatives to Squirtle, and fewer for Bulbasaur and Charmander. Even then, Fire-type Pokémon weren't very good in generation 1, anyway, so Charmander's sadly pretty irrelevant. Squirtle's alternatives as a Water-type include Slowbro, who gets Amnesia, Starmie, who is just awesome in general, Lapras, who is also awesome, Poliwrath, who's pretty good all around, Tentacruel, who's actually really underrated, Vaporeon, who has massive amounts of HP, and Gyarados, who has extremely high attacking stats. Starmie and Slowbro in particular stand out because they are so significantly better moveset-wise than Squirtle; the former learns Psychic and Thunderbolt, in addition to the Ice and Water moves that Squirtle gets, and while Slowbro lacks Thunderbolt, it gets the hilariously overpowered Amnesia, which basically lets it do anything, ever. Bulbasaur's alternatives extend to Victreebel, Vileplume, Tangela, Parasect and Exeggutor. While you can make a case for Victreebel and Exeggutor, the other three are basically worse in every way; Parasect has no good STAB, though Spore is awesome, and its stats are bad, Tangela is just bad, and anything Vileplume can do, Venusaur can do better. You could make a case about Victreebel being a good alternative, but it lacks Leech Seed and is slower and more frail. The only awesome alternative to Venusaur is Exeggutor, and even then, the only thing, besides better stats, more than Venusaur that Exeggutor brings to the table is Psychic, which is admittedly quite helpful, but does not make as significant of a difference as Starmie getting Thunderbolt, in addition to Psychic, makes when compared to Blastoise.

TL;DR: Bulbasaur offers a good start, allowing the player to hit the ground running early-on, and gets a powerful combination of moves. It also has fewer good alternatives than Squirtle, and the better alternatives to Venusaur are less significantly better than the good alternatives to Blastoise. Even if this doesn't automatically tip the scale in Bulbasaur's favour, it's something important to think about. Charmander, on the other hand, isn't very good in generation 1, so it isn't relevant to the discussion.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
The real question is this: Which Pokemon is the cutest in Moemon?

YOU DECIDE, VIEWER!
(BTW, its Charmander)

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I think its interesting how they set up the play style in the beginning with Bulbasaur= easy mode, Squirtle= normal mode, and Charmander= hard mode. Even if I was a gen-wunner, my Cyndaquil would like to disagree that Squirtle is anywhere near the best when there is Charmander and better Water types available in the game.

Anywho, Kurama the Delphox reigns as my new favorite now.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
My first was Bulbasaur, but my playthrough where I actually caught all 150 was with Charmander.

So.....fuck you, Science! Squirtle ain't got nothin on me!!!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Pshh, the Oshawott family is so much better than the Squirtle family it's not even funny.

Don't worry Oshawott, I still think you are the best water starter! :3

My favorite of the Kanto starters would be Charmander. I would go far enough to say in the context of the red/blue and FireRed/LeafGreen games, that Squirtle has the least amount of positives. Fire types are fairly rare, and you can use Charizard as a designated flyer for the team.

Bulbasaur is one of the best grass types in that generation, and it's fairly versatile.

Blastoise is just a decent water type, and the likes of Vaporeon, or Lapras are just as good to use for a designated water type.