Police Arrest Woman for Facebook Poke

Feb 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
Things can be complicated with these kinds of orders and the precedent can vary widely, but basically if the person under protection seeks contact with the person they are protected from that becomes a whole new animal, and probably the closest analogy to what is going on here.
Sorry, disagree totally.

I have, on my friends list, at least one person who I never want to talk to again. And I don't want to remove them, because they might find out somehow, and then try and find out why.

It's already been set out that these two women knew each other beforehand, and that the victim had a restraining order against the "poker". Had I been in that situation, there's no way I would have removed the "poker" - just in case she found out - and then when the email came through saying "Assailant has poked you", you couldn't stop me contacting the police fast enough.

For it to be a restraining order against this person, it'd have to be a pretty damn good reason why they didn't want to talk.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
There's a giant hole in this story if you haven't caught it yet. Anybody that uses Facebook and has broken up with a significant other or ended a friendship violently knows that you can easily remove people from your friends list. Facebook by default, in my experience, does not allow the poking of people that are not on your friends list. So, in this case, the poking victim could have just removed Jackson from her friends list.
*frowns* That's not a giant hole. Quite the reverse.

I don't know about other people, but when I had a very, very bad break-up, I couldn't even bear to log onto my page, never mind remove someone from my profile.

If they were threatening me as well, I doubt I could even do anything rather than report it.

Fairs fair Tom, this women may just be scared. And the Law does say "NO contact".
Surely if she hadn't been on Facebook, she wouldn't have noticed she'd been poked? Hell, I know people that delete friends on Facebook out of boredom, doing it because of a restraining order is pretty much mandatory.

Feb 13, 2008
Chipperz said:
Surely if she hadn't been on Facebook, she wouldn't have noticed she'd been poked?
Usually it will send out a mail as well, imagine getting one in the morning saying "Creepy stalker has just poked you."
doing it because of a restraining order is pretty much mandatory.
Fine, all you have to do is return to the internet, where they could be waiting...watching to see if you remove them, with their all too-familiar avatar staring at you, waiting for you to make that first move which proves you were against them all along.

Like I say, I've still got one person on my friends list who I daren't remove. It's just easier to ignore them than have them chasing me again.

HE Starwind

May 14, 2009
Now this is a story. The stupidity...

Also FARMVILLE rocks my socks. And due to my extreme love of it, I could understand that they were probably neighbours in the very addictive application.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Chipperz said:
Surely if she hadn't been on Facebook, she wouldn't have noticed she'd been poked?
Usually it will send out a mail as well, imagine getting one in the morning saying "Creepy stalker has just poked you."
doing it because of a restraining order is pretty much mandatory.
Fine, all you have to do is return to the internet, where they could be waiting...watching to see if you remove them, with their all too-familiar avatar staring at you, waiting for you to make that first move which proves you were against them all along.

Like I say, I've still got one person on my friends list who I daren't remove. It's just easier to ignore them than have them chasing me again.
Are you kidding? The first thing anyone does is turn off the email notifications so real emails can get through! Oh dear merciful Jesus... The spam, the spam...

You can remove someone from your friends list and it won't notify them, if you ditch someone it may never come up (unless you update your status message every hour on the hour. They might notice the lack)

Feb 13, 2008
Chipperz said:
They might notice the lack)
And if you've got a restraining order out, that fear is enough to stop you doing anything.

Seriously, I hope you're never in that situation, but when you are, even a poke is enough to set you into hysterics.

InsertWittyName

Jun 25, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
InsertWittyName said:
As chopper would say - "Harden the fuck up."
You're sounding silly now because you're talking about things that you don't understand. Why don't you sit back and listen to the grown-ups talk for a while. Then, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

And yes, I am treating you and the rest just like I do my two-year-old niece... because you're talking like my two-year-old niece. She has a better excuse than you do, though; she's two years old.

You walking arguments for birth control have no idea how hard it is to get a court order like that; the hoops you have to jump through, the evidence you have to present, make me take one very seriously. Also, I don't think you precious brats understand how much misery is implied in getting one of these orders; you don't get one just because you're no longer friends. Very often we're talking about long-term physical and mental abuse. Think "stalker". Think "To Catch a Predator". After undergoing that, victims aren't necessarily going to be thinking straight and they're likely to make mistakes like forgetting to de-Friend the victimiser... or just can't deal with it right away, and need some time to get his/her head straight.

People aren't perfect, and their (and your) imperfections don't justify others' exploitation of them in a civilised society. Of course, those of you who mistook Lord of the Flies to be an instruction manual won't understand that.

-- Steve
Someone needs to take things less seriously.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
odBilal said:
stonethered said:
Unfortunately it looks like I will be the first person to ask.
What is farmville?
something like harvest moon (dont tell me you dont know that either)
You have a little farm with plants animals and stuff and can earn money and XP
Some people even mistake it for a game!

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Something is seriously wrong with this world, if a woman can be arrested for clicking a button on a website which has pretty much no effect.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
If you don't know what FarmVille is, god bless you. Now pretend you never read the word and live a long, productive life.
Never have I heard better advice.
Stupid FarmVille, FarmTown, Restaurant City, Cafe World, and the like. Useless and addicting, a deadly combination.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Surely the victim should have blocked and deleted this person? I'm not too sure if you can poke people if you don't know them

Personally if I was in the victims position I would want the person arrested because, they were still bothering me and I would find it distressful. There is no reason she should have to tolerate this person

I guess everyone saying harden up have never been in a situation lie this?

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
There's a giant hole in this story if you haven't caught it yet. Anybody that uses Facebook and has broken up with a significant other or ended a friendship violently knows that you can easily remove people from your friends list. Facebook by default, in my experience, does not allow the poking of people that are not on your friends list. So, in this case, the poking victim could have just removed Jackson from her friends list.
*frowns* That's not a giant hole. Quite the reverse.

I don't know about other people, but when I had a very, very bad break-up, I couldn't even bear to log onto my page, never mind remove someone from my profile.

If they were threatening me as well, I doubt I could even do anything rather than report it.

Fairs fair Tom, this women may just be scared. And the Law does say "NO contact".
Well, for one, if she is a friend on Facebook, doesn't that count as contact? Or are we saying that the woman can contact Jackson, but Jackson can not contact back? Seriously this sounds like some wacky T.V. show or something. And as for her not being able, mentally, remove her, why the hell would she even bother getting on facebook if theres an off chance she might see Jackson? Sounds to me like she just felt like setting somebody up and sued them.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
AvsJoe said:
If you don't know what FarmVille is, god bless you. Now pretend you never read the word and live a long, productive life.
Never have I heard better advice.
Stupid FarmVille, FarmTown, Restaurant City, Cafe World, and the like. Useless and addicting, a deadly combination.
And people wonder why I love casual games.

PS. Your avatar is AMAZING.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
15 years ago she would have fingered her. I bet the police would have had a different response to that ("Niiiiicccccccceeeee.")