Poll: A Certain Double Standard

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
Ryotknife said:
mechashiva77 said:
So why do guys get to sleep around without being called a slut but we do? Why aren't we allowed to enjoy it as much as they do? It's not like we're less careful.
because society views men as being slaves to their sexual drives. You dont hear jokes about women having their brain in their pants.
I would say this, probably. I guess I could also put it down to double standards.

EDIT: People keep adding essays while I quote them, really don't know why I had to add this.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Ryotknife said:
mechashiva77 said:
Eddy-16 said:
mechashiva77 said:
So what are we not supposed to have sex ever?
By all means have sex whenever and with who ever you want, I was just posting a joke just don't sleep around if you don't want to be called a slut I guess?

CAPTCHA: Big nose, Well now I feel insulted.
So why do guys get to sleep around without being called a slut but we do? Why aren't we allowed to enjoy it as much as they do? It's not like we're less careful.
because society views men as being slaves to their sexual drives. You dont hear jokes about women having their brain in their pants.

Not endorsing it or anything. Also "players" are viewed by society as immature/"missing the true meaning of life". Among a certain sub-set of men they may be adored, but not society as a whole.
True, double standards for everyone! :D

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
mechashiva77 said:
Ryotknife said:
mechashiva77 said:
Eddy-16 said:
mechashiva77 said:
So what are we not supposed to have sex ever?
By all means have sex whenever and with who ever you want, I was just posting a joke just don't sleep around if you don't want to be called a slut I guess?

CAPTCHA: Big nose, Well now I feel insulted.

Not endorsing it or anything. Also "players" are viewed by society as immature/"missing the true meaning of life". Among a certain sub-set of men they may be adored, but not society as a whole.
True.
might want to expand on that post a little, wouldnt want to suffer mod wrath unwantingly for low content.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ryotknife said:
You dont hear jokes about women having their brain in their pants.
That's because the woman having a brain in the first place ruins most of the jokes.

(Obviously Rawne has been murdered by his wife or he'd have said something to that effect well before I got the chance to)

yaoinut

Dec 17, 2010
I really do think it's awful this exists. Men should be able to do feminine things if they want. Manicures and the like are relaxing, so at the minimum, it'd be good for stress levels.

That said, I am considered a social oddity for being female but loathing all beauty regimes. Don't wear make up, hate waxing and shaving, bite my nails and really I only use body creams because I have no desire to grow scales. Also, rarely wear dresses, only forced special occasions like weddings and such.

If I can do this and not be bothered by the reactions, I say let the men be pampered!

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Gender roles are societal constructs. Nothing more, nothing less. Society, in times before we had the accumulated lore we currently enjoy, thought that those gender roles were biological (and therefore immutable). They aren't. Of course, knowing that gender roles are arbitrary and mutable doesn't make them any easier to change to get rid of. Until traditionalism as a life philosophy doesn't die off, a lot of really stupid, harmful things are going to stay alive due to sheer cultural inertia.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
I'm all for moving away from traditional gender roles.

I've often been derided by others, both female and male, for my interests and behavior. Though most people either change their minds or keep their opinions to themselves once they learn what I do for a living or find out some of my other hobbies [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtpG4u4w_Zw].

Plus, non-traditional/tomboy girls make me go all spaghettios and the world needs more of them.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
TopazFusion said:
How has this not been posted yet?

Anyway, to add more fuel to the fire, isn't it interesting how a guy that sleeps around is a "player", and yet a girl that sleeps around is a "slut".
props for the C&H comic.

The Idea of women who sleep around being worse is a concept rooted in ancient & medieval tradition. If a women slept around, she could get pregnant, leading to someone other than her husband having claim to their property/fortune/land etc. As such, society reinforced the notion a woman's viginity and fidelity were her most important aspects in order to protect family property.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
That's sort of a tough one. I don't believe there should be restrictions on roles based on gender but, at the same time, I do feel that there are definitely differences between genders. Some of the differences are pure physical/mechanical and others are mental, though how much of that aspect is born psychology and how much is learned I don't know.

I guess it's easiest to sum up my position by saying that merit, ability and desire should be given top billing, I won't deny that certain genders do seem to more easily excel in certain roles.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I'm of the opinion that people, regardless of gender, should be able to do what they like without feeling too much pressure from other people (within reason, of course). People shouldn't try to conform to traditional gender roles if they don't want to, but they shouldn't be pressured to avoid those roles if they're perfectly happy filling them. It's kind of sad that some people care so much about other people's lives that they pressure them into doing things they're not happy with.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I saw a thread here awhile back something like "Guys how do you feel getting beaten by a girl in games?"
How does gender decided how good you are at games? That girl could have been nature better at gaming or has put more hours into that game or genre to be better.

I wanted to post "Girls how does it feel when a guy is a better cook them you?" But stopped myself.
Maybe that guys hobby is cooking? Or has just cooked more to get better at it etc.

What I hate most about double standards are the ones that imply 1 sex is better at 1 activity just for being that sex.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Cazza said:
I saw a thread here awhile back something like "Guys how do you feel getting beaten by a girl in games?"
How does gender decided how good you are at games? That girl could have been nature better at gaming or has put more hours into that game or genre to be better.

I wanted to post "Girls how does it feel when a guy is a better cook them you?" But stopped myself.
Maybe that guys hobby is cooking? Or has just cooked more to get better at it etc.

What I hate most about double standards are the ones that imply 1 sex is better at 1 activity just for being that sex.
"thank god, now he can do the cooking instead of me"?

When you come right down to it, cooking is a job.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I dislike most gender roles. I'm really particular on the whole kids thing. Marriage is meh because I'd like to get married one day, though I'm in no rush. But children? NEVER. And I hope to God I never run into people IRL who say some of that shit about me because I'm a woman. I will punch them.

But connected to the physical/mechanical part of gender roles, I tend to sorta be for those, I think. Mostly.

American Football, for example. I look at a woman wanting to play said sport with the boys not that they shouldn't do it but that I wonder if they know what they're getting into. This is a physical sort of situation. Do you know how big some of those guys are in American football? And how stats say the average man is stronger than the average woman? And you wanna go out there and get tackled? When guys get seriously injured on their own?

Well... more power to you, hun. I'm just gonna be up here in the safety of the bleachers.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
What kind of a poll is this, is it only aimed at stirring up trouble? All 4 of those options make it sound like gender roles are LAW, laws that can apparently be "broken". That's just silly.

Even today a woman can become a housewife WITHOUT being classified as a gender-role-restricted female, she isn't thinking "oh no, should I assume my gender role or break it??", she is thinking "what should i do that suits my family and lifestyle, especially with a baby on the way?"

game-lover said:
Do you know how big some of those guys are in American football? And how stats say the average man is stronger than the average woman? And you wanna go out there and get tackled? When guys get seriously injured on their own?
"Stats say", well said...you dodged a potential feminist bullet there :p

Aren't there female football teams? If there are female rugby teams here in NZ (granted only at school/club level) there must be female football teams somewhere :p

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tomboys are sexy and gay blokes are... well, gay.
That's how I see it anyway.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
What kind of a poll is this, is it only aimed at stirring up trouble? All 4 of those options make it sound like gender roles are LAW, laws that can apparently be "broken". That's just silly.

Even today a woman can become a housewife WITHOUT being classified as a gender-role-restricted female, she isn't thinking "oh no, should I assume my gender role or break it??", she is thinking "what should i do that suits my family and lifestyle, especially with a baby on the way?"

game-lover said:
o you know how big some of those guys are in American football? And how stats say the average man is stronger than the average woman? And you wanna go out there and get tackled? When guys get seriously injured on their own?

Aren't there female football teams? If there are female rugby teams here in NZ (granted only at school/club level) there must be female football teams somewhere :p
I honestly didn't see the poll that way, but ok.

No we don't have many female football teams. We have rugby teams, but the only female football games that occur are annual "Powder-Puff" games which vary from school to school.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Katatori-kun said:
mechashiva77 said:
Anyway. There's still a terrible double standard when it comes to women vs. men: the whole marriage/kids thing. It's perfectly fine if a man doesn't want either of those, but a woman is one of the following if she does't want a husband and kids:
I think this depends on a lot of factors, some of which may be cultural. As an older (well, compared to most Escapists) unmarried man, I've certainly heard incredulous comments about the way I live. And while my family has not harassed me much about it, it's clear they're somewhat unhappy with the fact that I'm not settled down. I've even had situations where I suspect one member of my family has gone fishing a little bit to see if I'll admit to being gay as an explanation for remaining single so late.

So I'm not saying that there isn't a double standard. Just don't overstate the case and portray men as totally okay.
I have completely forgotten about that. At least your family tried to be subtle in asking you, mine....wasnt so subtle (i think my family has some genetic mutation that prevents us from understanding or utilizing subtelty). Think I was asked at least a dozen times when i hit....25 or so if i was gay for no other reason than because i wasnt married. I didnt even display any of the common gay stereotypes.

thankfully they have stopped asking.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:

game-lover said:
Do you know how big some of those guys are in American football? And how stats say the average man is stronger than the average woman? And you wanna go out there and get tackled? When guys get seriously injured on their own?

you know...I have never heard of a female football team here in the US. Female rugby teams, yes, which is wierd as that sport is more violent and dangerous than american football.

well....maybe flag/tag football, doesnt really count though.