Poll: A Certain Double Standard

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Gender roles would be aight, so long as they weren't mandatory, and people weren't belittled/shamed/ridiculed/mocked/harassed for choosing not to abide by them.

Unfortunately, that pretty much never happens. So I say screw them.

Dark_Reaction

Apr 14, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
Anyway. There's still a terrible double standard when it comes to women vs. men: the whole marriage/kids thing. It's perfectly fine if a man doesn't want either of those, but a woman is one of the following if she does't want a husband and kids:

(Beware, these are stereotypes and what 'people' think, not what I think)
1. Lesbian
2. Fooling herself
3. Too ugly to find a man
4. Lying to herself (same as above, I know, but it bears repeating)
5. Denying nature/biological clock
6. A career woman aka ice queen/*****
7. Not quite right in the head
8. Damaged goods
9. Spinster/cat lady

... And there's probably a few more. A guy who doesn't want kids is:

1. Straight or gay, both is fine
2. Focused on his career which is perfectley ok
3. Never going to grow up (not generally seen in a bad light)
4. Normal - all men don't need to want kids

And believe me, as a woman around the age of 30, I've been called/told all of the above. Even by family. And total strangers. People truly think there is something deeply, horribly wrong with you if you don't want kids and will tell you so. The nicest thing they say? "Oh, you'll change your mind" "Oh, you'll see sense later on" "Oh, you'll know better later" ... Yeah. Still makes me want to throat-punch them.
As a male approaching 30, I would argue that there is another dreadful double standard that exists within people's perceptions, and that is with regards to sexual compulsion.

For comparison:
It's perfectly fine if a woman doesn't want sex to any great degree, but a man is one of the following if he doesn't exhibit (what I would consider) an extreme focus upon obtaining sex with a woman:

(Likewise, the 'Beware, these are stereotypes and what 'people' think, not what I think' notion applies to the following as well)
1. Gay
2. Fooling himself
3. Too ugly to find a woman
4. Gay
5. Spending more time masturbating than breathing
6. Denying nature/instinctual male sexual drive
7. A career man aka one-night-stand-stud
8. Gay
9. Not quite right in the head
10. Damaged goods
11. Gay
12. Gay
13. Gay
14. Gay
15. Gay

... And there's probably a few more, most of which tend to focus on his desire to explore the labyrinthine passages of big hairy men's rear ends.

A woman who doesn't want sex with a man is:

1. 'Not a slut'
2. Focused on her career, which is perfectly okay
3. Finds a vibrator more fulfilling than a man could be (not generally seen in a bad light)
4. Normal - all women don't need to want sex
5. A lesbian (not generally seen in a bad light)

Of course, that goes both ways after a fashion, as a woman who DOES want sex with a man is often portrayed as 'A slut', while a man who DOES exhibit the (in my opinion) overt drive for sex with a woman is considered normal or (if successful more often than not) a stud/'playa'.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
One thing that pisses me off is this idea that if a man is traditionally masculine then he must be insecure.

Direbaka

Jul 10, 2010
Eddy-16 said:
A key that can open many locks is a fucking awesome key, on the other hand a lock that is opened by many keys is a shitty lock.
Not to pick on you, but I've never liked that analogy. One can mess around with the concept though:

"A wall socket that can turn on any plug is an amazing wall socket. A plug that can plug into any wall socket is an amazing plug."

"A wrench that can turn any bolt is an amazing wrench. A bolt that can be turned by any wrench is a weird bolt."

"A mailbox that can hold any package is useful. A package that can fit in any mailbox is small."

How about one more apt to this site?

"A console that can play any game is an amazing console. A game that can be played on any console is not defined by traditional video game values."

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
mechashiva77 said:
This isn't going to end well. Good lord it will not, and yet I still feel compelled to make this post.

A hypocrisy I often see is that it's ok for women to do/like masculine things, but it's not ok for men to do/like feminine things. People will often come to the defense of a woman wearing pants or watching Samurai Jack, but will harp on a man for manicuring his nails or watching My Little Pony (I can understand being put-off by crazy fans, but I am strictly talking about those who chide fans for watching a show aimed at girls). I vehemently disagree with it.

So against my better judgement, I would like to know what you all think about this.
I wanted a: "I think they are fine, are helpful and make sense due the different neurochemestry of each gender's brain, but if one want's not to follow it more power to him", or abreviated "they are fine, but wouldn't get my panties in a wad if anyone wants to break them.

Edit: Also, i am mainly talking at working roles within society. Tastes? I couldn't care less, of course i would make fun at a friend that likes MLP, but wouldn't disciriminate him for that.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Moth_Monk said:
One thing that pisses me off is this idea that if a man is traditionally masculine then he must be insecure.
I don't really care if a guy is traditionally masculine or not. It just ticks me off when they are expected to showcase either.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Hammeroj said:
I don't necessarily have a problem with, say, expecting a man to be able to provide for his family. I also don't have a problem with the wife being the provider or anything even remotely to that extent. So, somewhere in the middle on this issue, I guess?

One thing to note here is that despite one's desire to feel like a unique little snowflake, males and females have different purely biological attributes, which is why gender roles will never be gone in their entirety. Not at the expense of intellectual honesty, anyways.
I'm aware that they'll never go away, I just think it's a bit silly to expect everyone to follow them

Captcha: "cross the rubicon" What the hell does that mean?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SimpleThunda said:
Men and women aren't similair. Men are good at certain things, women are good at certain things. Make of that what you will.
your gonna need to expand on that slighy

I mean I have no friggen Idea how to use make up, my brother wouldn't be able to work his way around a PS3 controller or mouse/keyboard setup

some people just dont fit "roles"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Eddy-16 said:
A key that can open many locks is a fucking awesome key, on the other hand a lock that is opened by many keys is a shitty lock.
CAPTIN KEYDICK!!!!?? WHERE? WHERE IS HE I'LL KILL HIM

you pulled a captin keydick..BAD! bad analogy!

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
Vault101 said:
CAPTIN KEYDICK!!!!?? WHERE? WHERE IS HE I'LL KILL HIM

you pulled a captin keydick..BAD! bad analogy!
Captain Keydick? Sorry thats hilarious and I did post it as a joke to be fair. Still its the most I've ever been quoted so there that I suppose

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
My experience is that men are usually harder on other men about breaking gender roles than women are towards either women OR men for it. A woman sees another woman breaking a gender role and they say "you go, girl". If she sees a man breaking a role, she thinks it's interesting. Guys see it and call the other guy a fag.

Again, not generalizing here, this is just my *experience*

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm of the opinion that the concept of "traditional gender roles" exist for a reason. Much like how the majority of stereotypes exist for a reason.

They shouldn't be rigidly adhered to, enforced, or really paid a whole lot of attention to, but they exist because most people end up following them in most ways.

I really don't see anything wrong with it, just so long as you don't force people to follow them (or not follow them, as the case may be).

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
And believe me, as a woman around the age of 30, I've been called/told all of the above.
Awww D:
Don't worry about it anyway. It's normal to not want kids. I don't And you can't be as bad as my ex... she used to say that if I ever got her pregnant, she'd put it in a jar and leave it on my doorstep as a warning -.-

OT: I'd rather gender roles didn't exist. It would make society more flexible, at the very least.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Vault101 said:
your gonna need to expand on that slighy

I mean I have no friggen Idea how to use make up, my brother wouldn't be able to work his way around a PS3 controller or mouse/keyboard setup

some people just dont fit "roles"
Well, I can say for certain that men are terrible at giving birth to babies. We don't even have ONE successful report!

And I'm fairly certain that women have more trouble than men taking a standing piss.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I give exactly 0 shits about gender roles. They only serve to make people uncomfortable with themselves and thereby pressure people into conformity over individuality. I do not consider myself a manly man, but this doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong. In fact I'm bisexual, but I don't have any interest in actually dating a man, even more oddity. And yet none of it bothers me or the people around me( not any who matter at least).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Eddy-16 said:
Captain Keydick? Sorry thats hilarious and I did post it as a joke to be fair. Still its the most I've ever been quoted so there that I suppose
I didn't come up with Captin Keydick...but its the response I like to give to the lock and key metaphor

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
While there is evidence that as groups men and women have distinct physical and mental traits, but at the end of the day people should be judged on individual merits. I just wanna live my life as I see fit and don't give a damn whether or not how I live conforms to someone else's vision based on group identity. Don't really give a damn about other people living according to "gender roles." In my perfect world, common sense and good judgement prevail, and I'm pretty sure that's gender neutral.