Poll: A compromise for Skyrim's children

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Conza said:
Hi, maybe you can help me here.

(this is all about 'in game')I have no interest in killing children, but I don't care if other dovakin do, what they do is there business.

My question is why? Do these children carry rare items? That wouldn't make sense, since they weren't designed to be killed. Are they very difficult to kill (eg. high health), and thus give lots of experience? Also unlikely.

I just don't see it adding to the gameplay at all, so I'll focus my game mods on cool things, like custom dragon and horse skins, stability mods, ect.

I haven't read your spoiler yet, so I'll ask, 'why do you think people want to have this in game'? (see I avoided using 'you' in there).
It has to do with roleplaying, as far as I'm concerned at least.
Basically, when you're able - nay encouraged - to play as a merciless murderer of innocents, it creates some jarring dissonance when there are characters in the game whom you cannot kill.
There's nothing like seeing your axe pass through someone's neck without having them react to remind you that you are in fact playing a game.
Not everything you kill in a roleplaying game you kill for rewards.

It's simply a wish for the rules of the world we're offered to live in to be consistent.
If you're going to make certain npcs unharmable, you should make them all so.
I understand that the creators don't want us to be killing children in their games, but that wish was carried through in the worst way possible.
Oblivion's solution of not including kids was far better.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
I just dont like the witnesses that cant die is all, let me intimidate them or lie to remove my bounty if they're the last witness and I'll remove the mod =3

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I kind of like the kids in Skyrim. One actually asked me to play hide-and-seek. And I did.

Why do people dislike them? This isn't like Fallout 3's kids at all.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
LilithSlave said:
So, err, what is this doing in the off-topic section?

We already have enough Skyrim threads in the Gaming section.

Too many, in fact. Did there end up so many Skyrim topics that they spilled into the other sections?

This is mayhem. I think that we just needed on Skyrim megathread in the beginning so that everything can go there and everyone not interested can ignore it. There's about 3,000 too many Skyrim topics as it stands.
Perhaps they should go ahead and create a Skyrim section? ;)

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I kind of like the kids in Skyrim. One actually asked me to play hide-and-seek. And I did.

Why do people dislike them? This isn't like Fallout 3's kids at all.
I played tag with one kid and helped two others who were fighting over a crush. I think the kids are fine. It just feels like PC bullshit to make them "special" immortal characters. I wouldn't try to kill them, but I can't understand why you would build a special game mechanic to put them off sides.

They aren't real

They aren't kids

They are scripts and pixels. Making them immortal just adds an unessessary moral aspect that bows its heads to the crowd who blame school shootings on GTA. It just feels like humoring the idiots.

So I appose it for that reason. I want to point out the game already arrests your characters for commiting crime. The solution here which would effectively do the same thing would be to make a death penaly. If you kill a kid you get sentenced to death and if you escape, you can never go back to that hold or everyone will try to kill you.

That feels real and would really motivate people to not kill the kids.

*EDIT*

To be fair to Bethesda, If they didn't make the kids immortal Fox news would probably do a report on it being a kid killing simulator and bring in experts on how letting your kid play Skyrim would cause them to kill their classmates.

So I might give them shit over it, but I'm not going to complain too much.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I do like the kid that helps her mother sell fruit I played games with her for a whole day. Im a master at hide n seek.

Other then that I hate so many of the children in Skyrim. Most are little shits like the Jarls son in Whiterun. That kid who complain there are no sweetrolls etc. They would be on my hit list if I could. I guess I could just disable them. I once raged and went on a killing spree It did make me rage more when I couldn't kill the kids and other important characters. I never save the kill sprees though. I wouldn't kill the kids for the hell of it but when Im on a spree let me kill everyone.

Kramcake2516

Feb 8, 2010
Why on earth would you want to kill a kid in a game I?m sorry I just don?t see how it ruins immersion for you they don?t have anything you need don?t really give anything towards quests so killing them would be an utter waste of time... not to mention a little twisted.

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
Kramcake2516 said:
Why on earth would you want to kill a kid in a game I?m sorry I just don?t see how it ruins immersion for you they don?t have anything you need don?t really give anything towards quests so killing them would be an utter waste of time... not to mention a little twisted.
They don't have anything you need cause Bethesda didn't bother giving them anything since you can't kill them. Most adults don't have loot that is worth killing for, that does not mean I don't want them to be killable. Do you want everyone who is a waste of time killing to become imortal? Well then I think we must make about 75% of Skyrims population unkillable.

I want children to be as mortal as their parents because it adds realism. And don't come with any of those shitty arguments like "you can't ask for realism in a fantasy game, it's not realistic with magic and dragons". Even if the world itself is a fantasy I still want it to act like it could be real, like a mirror of our own world but with magic and giants and elves etc. Making children imortal because our societys norms say it's worse to kill a child than killing an adult is retarded. Let the player decide his/her own morals and norms please.

Aug 25, 2009
The protagonist is not able to kill or injure children.

However, children are not immortal.

My compromise would be simple (however, it should be noted that I haven't played the game, so I speak from a general game design principle, not a Skyrim related one)

As I understand it you are supposed to be a hero in Skyrim, and heroes don't kill children unless it is absolutely necessary. However, simply making children immortal is a crude solution.

What about animal attacks, bandit raids, other NPC murderers? If you find a village destroyed by a dragon, but the children are miraculously alive then it would break immersion. However, if you are supposed to be playing a hero, no matter how morally questionable, murdering children is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

It's not about children having the ability to die, it's about wanting to kill children. There is a difference there, and it doesn't seem to be one that gamers can understand. When you want children to be able to die as part of the gaming experience, that's fine. When you want the ability to kill children it's a little different.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
And even if your character isn't a hero but a villain, what sort of villain would do that? A character who kill indiscriminatly for the giggles is, to me, not a very convincing villain but simply a dysfunctional madman. I doubt an assassin would waste time and draw attention to himself by killing people that doesn't matter for no real reason. Or that an aspiring warlock would kill of potential future underlings.

All the other immoral actions you can already commit in the game at least have a greater goal and agenda. When you aid the Thalmor and persecute innocent people for Talos-worship, you do so to further their agenda of Elven domination over the globe. Or when you kill for the Brotherhood, you follow through a contract and appease the god of your cult. At least it's commiting immoral acts towards a goal.

And honestly, what immersion is there remaining to be lost if you just kill random NPCs because you can?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Abusing children over and over but they never die? That...sounds too unsettlingly like Mai-chan's Daily Life for me.
Wait a second...

Does this mean that Nichijou was making a reference to a guro hentai?

Epe.Zombabe

Sep 28, 2012
Okay Idk how old this whole thread is but here's my thoughts anyway.

If you don't believe in killing kids then don't kill them yourself. However Bethesda should've made it so you could kill them before releasing the game. Kids are not by any way, shape, or form invincible in real life and if you can kill a whole town you should be able to kill the kids too. Now personally, me, yes - I would totally kill most of the kids in Skyrim if I could. Why? They're snot mouthed little sh*ts. If the makers didn't make them with all that attitude I wouldn't have personally cared. But hearing them repeatedly insulting your character EVERY TIME you pass them.... Definitely grinds on one's nerves. And NO I don't take the insults personally, but it's annoying to hear it all the time. Another point - we (most humans) know that you can't KILL a CHILD in real life. But this is a ROLE PLAYING GAME. Not real life. We should be allowed to kill whomever we choose being as it's a free world game play and obviously not how today is set up anyway. And if we can have Argonians, Khajiit, and dragons out and about as well as vampires and werewolves who don't really care who they feed on - why not kill a kid? It's not like we're all gonna go to a bar and be like "Hey Fred you wanna go kill some kids?" "Well yes Tom that'd be great then we can go rape some teenagers!" I mean come on. It's a game. Yes I understand people thinking it's ridiculous, but we can kill everyone and everything else including innocent animals that definitely did nothing wrong.... So why not teach the kids of Skyrim it's NOT okay to be so damned mouthy to everyone by killing a few? How else do you think they did it in those days?

And @ DarkRyter think again. There's at least 1-3 kids in every village plus Babette. So annoying after a while.