Poll: A deal with the devil...

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'll have to go with the losing legs and getting implants. Then I can one-up anyone's scar story and be able to call myself a cyborg. And it's not like these things have been doing me any good since I stopped playing tennis.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I took the money but if you asked me again in five years I could easily see my answer being different.

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
seeing as i can give up the things that require legs (i will miss you fencing) with relative ease of mind, i think i would, just to use that money for the various things that help others that i already try to use it for.

but knowing how these work out, this cash either is invalid or taken from those that need it anyway, so i guess ill have to find other avenues to help others

Tangent: what if you gave yourself to everlasting torment, as a trade for the well being and happiness of all others?

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Has no one seen A Beautiful Mind? Schizophrenia isn't fun and has nothing to do with multiple personalities! You get super paranoid and hallucinate all the time.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Yeah, no. An entire theme throughout all forms of media is how badly these deals work out. I'm turning around and walking away.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Diabetes is a huge pain in the ass, especially severe diabetes. I know a diabetic girl who needs 12 shots a day to prevent seizures. I don't think any amount of money is going to help with that. I already exercise and eat healthy so I may be able to keep it under control, but I can still see how much it would suck to have. Schizophrenia also would also suck major balls. I'm already different enough from my peers that it feels awkward to be around them, I don't need to transcend more social boundaries and distance myself further. I would probably have both my legs amputated. I was in a wheelchair for 4 months already so I know what not being able to walk feels like. Besides, I could buy prosthetic legs or get some sick Human Revolution augmented legs that let me jump like a frog and never get tired running.

Some_Jackass

Aug 7, 2008
Hmmm...What about 2.5 million for mild diabetes?

...better yet, I'd whip out my fiddle and say "Let's make this interesting!"

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Toasty Virus said:
I went for the first option, I can use my multiple personalitys to enjoy things I wouldn't normally!
The devil laughs at your misunderstanding of Schizophrenia. All of your worst fears come to life and your money is useless to stop them.
Take my legs I can buy new ones, they are not particularly useful anyway.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
I'll keep my health too, thanks! Plus, my house is not handicap accessible so losing my legs is out of the question. ;)

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
well given the "take the deal" options i'd say diabetes is considrably less harsh than Schizophrenia or amputation. Diabetes is treatable and since your getting 5 million pounds you should be able to take care of your self.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Diabetes. Easily curable and it runs in my family any way so I will most likely get it. I know how to deal with it and have to watch my blood sugar as it is.

Goatmeat

Jun 17, 2011
If I were to pick one of them, it'd be the legs thing. Because I have knee problems and whatnot, so I have difficulty walking or doing any form of leg exercises. But I probably wouldn't take it. I certainly wouldn't give up my sanity for it, in which case I wouldn't know WTF I was doing with the money. And I wouldn't take diabetes, just because it's something that could kill me.

Elcarsh said:
Schizophrenia comes in many flavours, but the term basically encompasses all the nastiest things about insanity in general. Your life would be absolute hell, and you'd be completely and utterly incapable of enjoying your wealth.
I think the problem is that for some reason, a lot of people seem to glorify insanity. Or mental illness in general. Like, there are a lot of people who think that because some creative people displayed erratic behaviour, you have to be properly fuck-off-mega-loonieballs to be creative, or at least go on about how you're bipolar or just "slightly mad". Years ago, I was on a forum and saw the signature "What garlic is to cooking, insanity is to art," and it still annoys me when I think about it.

It might just be that mental illness is something that's mysterious to a lot of people who don't experience it, and it's something you can sort of fake with a bit of quirkiness. I dunno. I'm not a doctor (if I was, my username would be Goatmeat M.D.)

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I've read that many people who develop multiple personalities do so to adapt to multiple situations. I could stand to have some side of me that is more open to social interaction.

Jan 18, 2012
MammothBlade said:
The devil solicits you at night, guaranteeing a fortune*. On one condition: you have to undertake a considerable handicap. Which do you choose? Bear in mind that all of these will be permanent and affect you for the rest of your life. Rest assured, the devil will honour their end of the agreement.

*[sub]All figures adjusted for inflation, if you happen to be reading this in 2050.[/sub]
The problem with this scenario is the phrase "the devil will honor his end of the agreement." From what I've read in comics and fantasy stories, I've learned that demons NEVER hold up their end of a deal. A demon will exploit every loophole to screw you over and steal your soul. Case in point: Johnny Blaze aka Ghost Rider. He sold his soul to cure his adoptive father's cancer only for the guy to die in a motorcycle crash. The point is if a demon offers some miracle in exchange for your soul; RUN!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
One of my friends is missing both his legs after playing chicken withthe train with me, so i'd go with that, cause he still has an awesome life style. Gets to the front of the line of every amusement park, can be as much of a dick as he want cause whos gonna hit a guy in a wheel chair, plays sports int hose wheel chair leagues, gets pulled around on the back of cars, still plays chicken with trains.

hell he's trying to get spikes on his wheels so he can just start kneecapping/cutting peoples legs out from under him cause he can and he thinks itd be awesome and look bitching, like a gladiator cart.

so yea, easy choice. especially if I can get those pounds then transfer them to dollars.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
I would gladly pay twice that (if I had that much), just to not have any of those problems. This devil clearly doesn't understand that he either has to offer me something I truly want, or demand something that isn't worth more than the money he's offering.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Legomaniac91 said:
From what I've read in comics and fantasy stories, I've learned that demons NEVER hold up their end of a deal. A demon will exploit every loophole to screw you over and steal your soul.
And sometimes, they'd exploit that expectation you have just to mess with you. Like they did with Vaarsuvius [http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html]. (Starts here [http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html])

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Schizophrenia is not split personality disorder.

So, if the OP meant the second but then gave you schizophrenia you've been royally buggered.

I'd take the diabetes, specifying the less severe type.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
Seeing as I may have schizophrenia anyways, I'd much rather prefer to gain...what? Like 8 million Canadian dollars? Might as well be a rich schizo rather than a middle class to poor schizo.