Poll: About the F-word...

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I believe it was used in a British novel and when it came out was censored like f*** (bad pun intended)

OT: I try not to use it. I think making a word less offensive by overusing it cheapens language, but that's just my own bias, personal belief. I have no problems with others saying it - gotta tend my own house first.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
For some reason, American culture has become very hung up on being angry at words. Terms like "F-Word" or "something-Word" are not used anywhere except in the United States. While native speakers of other languages may be naturally less sensible about these things anyway (although the German equivalents seem to be used more often in daily life in Germany), even in the UK, "fuck" and other similar curses are rather commonplace.

I personally think that as long as they are not overused to compensate for lacking language skills or to attack people verbally, using those words is alright.

Also:

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'm fine with it because it can be used well.
This reminds me of Monty Python.
[sub] Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand? Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehova fuck![/sub]

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
We're about 2 generations away from all curse words losing their power due to overuse. The fact that people act all offended now is mostly a knee-jerk reaction courtesy of their parents/society telling them that these words are bad, and we shouldn't use them. With more and more people freely swearing around their kids, and said kids in turn swearing much earlier in life, soon they'll just be words used for emphasis. Properly cursing is a dead art, since there are no longer words for it.

comet5002

Mar 27, 2009
I personally don't like saying it, and I don't care to hear it, but I don't freak out every time I do (I mean, if I did, I'd be freaking out quite a bit), nor do I try to stop people from using it. It's all a matter of preference and keeping your preference to yourself, just like many other things.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I tend to use it a lot, more than I probably realise I do.
It's a great word for emphasis.

I don't think fuck phases too many people any more.
See You Next Tuesday still does though, which is a shame, because it's a great word (when not used in it's proper context).

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Stop Trolling For Unicorns.

I love that word, it's my favourite word. I use it more than I should in real life but it just flows off the tongue so nicely I just can't help but use it.

FUCK YEAH.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I use it reasonably frequently, most likely because I'm a frustrated young man. I prefer the SomethingAwful version, though, which is 'gently caress'.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Fuck means nothing anymore.
It's not a word, it's a comma, it's a simple way to add emphasis to your statement, there's nothing wrong with it, and the fact that we STILL can't say it on American TV is just plain stupid.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
I personally don't like the word, and wish that people wouldn't use it, but I'm glad that the escapist don't prevent people from saying it. If they want to, they can, I'd just prefer that they didn't.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I thought the longest was antidisestablishmentarianism? There goes all those years of feeling clever. Hmph.

To do with fuck, I don't give a fuck. It's just a word. There is literally nothing whatsoever bad about swearing, they're just words that make sentences more fucking interesting and fucking fucky fuck.
But seriously, why is swearing bad? Who was the one guy who decided certain colourful words are wrong to use and people should be angry at people who use them? I'm going to find this out one day. And fuck a fucking fuck.

EDIT: Yeah, the actual longest word in the English language. Someone linked the word on the first page, this is the pronunciation...

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
Philol said:
I haven't a problem with it, as long as its use tastefully, or at least as tastefully as it can be used. Other than that who gives a fuck.
You're truly amazing.

I don't think it's used too gratuitously on this website... except when topics like these are made so the cynics start coming out with truly gold material like the quoted above. I'm not lying; it made me laugh quite a bit.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
misterprickly said:
Technically FUCK is not a word... It's an ACRONYM

Found Under Carnal Knowledge.

If you're not too sure how to properly use this word just watch the following video.
"Embedding disabled by request"

Fuck that.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Y'know, I actually had a conversation with my sister (who is going into college as a linguistics major) about this last night. Namely, there is a certain emotion that saying Fuck or ***** conveys that you cannot convey with other language. There is a sense of anger that isn't really present in other words. For example, the ostensible definition of "fuck" is "to fornicate". Try shouting "TO FORNICATE" next time something goes wrong. Or tell someone to "fornicate off". They're a valid choice of language specifically because of that emotional undertone. All my life I had my parents telling me "if you can only use swear words you're just not clever enough to come up with something better", but that's just it: I am clever enough to come up with something better or more original. I could call someone a lice-infested pile of bovine excrement, and it'd be original. But it would not have the same feeling as saying "you're a piece of shit."

I dunno, I agree that there's a stigmatism that exists simply because we're told they're bad, but at the same time if they weren't considered to be foul language they wouldn't have the same effect. It's a kind of ouroboros situations, I suppose (I refuse to say it's chicken and egg because that one has an obvious correct answer).

EDIT: also, the whole "Fornication under command of the king" thing is just an old wive's tale. It's just fuck, plain and simple.