Poll: Adults and cartoons

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
Sure do still enjoy cartoons.. Got all the Animaniacs on DVD for Christmas and I'm 22. So does my dad, 54 and loves them too.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I wouldn't watch cartoons meant for kids, the same going for movies and tv shows, but I would watch something either meant for adults and children, or just for adults. But I don't watch all cartoons meant for adults. Also, some of the cartoons I watched as a kid, I don't find amusing any longer.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Gorfias said:
Tenky said:
How about those cartoons whose demographic is actually adults? Say the Venture Bros. (which is obviously aimed at people born in the 80s) and Robot Chicken?
Have you checked out the FX channel's Archer series? They've only aired about 10 episodes, but they are side achingly brilliant.

The other 2 shows you reference are excellent as well.
Let's not forget about Frisky Dingo, Perfect Hair Forever and Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil.

Nuclear_Suspect

Jun 1, 2010
Voted 'yes'

Nothing like ocmming home from a long night shift and catching the rerun of mythbusters and then flipping over to 'Fairy Oddparents'

I also watch cartoon movies when some new stuff comes out, be it Marvel or Disney and being a half-baked 3D artist myself I also enjoy computer animated movies.

But I'm always suprised how many 'adult' jokes make it into cartoons, I've been giggling like a schoolgirl while my niece just looks wierdly at me going "Whats so funny?"

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
HELL. YES!

Even as an adult, I STILL prefer cartoons (Eastern and Western) alike to reality...

The problem being that much of the cartoons on kid's channels nowadays... are crap, while a lot of the good stuff is never shown any more...

*SIGH*

But yeah, you can still watch cartoons, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise!

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Depends on how you define "cartoons". I adore animated Disney movies and I watch older stuff from the 90's now and again (mainly Gargoyles and Batman TAS) but I'm mostly an anime fan.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Nuclear_Suspect said:
But I'm always suprised how many 'adult' jokes make it into cartoons, I've been giggling like a schoolgirl while my niece just looks wierdly at me going "Whats so funny?"
That was really surprising with animaniacs (great and funny cartoon). There jokes were sooo balancing the lines of what they could get away with.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I cant believe that no one has mentioned Adventure Time. That is probably the greatest cartoon show for kids I have ever seen which is weird since the quality in these shows has really degraded over time.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I'm 22 and not only watch cartoons, I enjoy watching them quite a lot. If something is good, entertaining and funny, the fact that it's animated doesn't stop me from enjoying it. As a matter of fact, some of my favourite shows in general are actually cartoons (Samurai Jack (as can be seen from the avatar) and Avatar: The Last Airbender for example). I dare say I enjoy cartoons more as an adult than when I was a kid.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, I don't really watch the same cartoons I watched as a kid now, but I do watch Futurama, South Park, Family Guy, Archer, etc.. Never really liked anime. That being said, I see nothing wrong with adults watching cartoons.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Yeah I still watch them.I'm in my 30's,no ones going to tell me what I should/should not enjoy.

I absolutely adore stuff like classic Tom & Jerry and Warner Bros cartoons(bugs bunny et al).Sadly they don't show them very often these days.I guess they're considered a bit too violent for today's kids,sensitive little tykes that they are

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
All I can say is three cheers for Futurama. Also, Courage the Cowardly Dog and the other awesome cartoons I used to watch as a kid.

PhoenixKing

Mar 31, 2010
Dude anybody who calls someone a retard for watching phineus and ferb must be.... well... retarded. That show is amazing. Also, Avatar: The Last AIrbender. Greatest cartoon ever, and one of the best shows in general ever.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yup and I don't give a danm what other people say that I shouldn't. Excluding Anime the western shows I have recently watch are

Sym-Bionic Titan (done by the same guy who did Samurai Jack)
Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes
Batman The Brave And The Bold
Adventure Time with Finn and Jake
Futurama season 6 (I not sure if this count as cartoon)
Transformers Prime

I also try to get my hands on DC animated film and showcase and I can't wait till Young Justice to be release soon.

Amilistine

Dec 31, 2010
I will never stop loving cartoons! I was noticing the past few weeks that the only channel I even care to watch is Nicktoons, and I had an epiphany that, So-called "adult" shows really just are not as interesting as innocent cartoons. I'll take silly, modest jokes about nagging and The Hunt over typical "drama" involving sex or drugs or any other boring "mature" topic any and every day of all weeks ever, forever.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I watch the cartoon series from my childhood (with the exception of Pokemon). Aside from that I just watch documentaries, haven't watched TV for more than 5 minutes in over a year.

I can only imagine what a jaw-dropping experience it would be for a pre-millenial person to hear something like that.

chif-ii

Aug 31, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
This ia a question directed to everyone here who legally qualifies as an adult. Do you still enjoy watching cartoons?

I ask cause I was recently called a ****** for still watching a cartoon on the Disney channel (cartoon in question was 'Phineas and Ferb'), and was just wondering if any other 'adults' still enjoy the odd cartoon every now and again.
Yes, I still watch cartoons at 17. However, depending on how old you are, I can't defend you against the ****** insult.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I keep a giant collection of Ed, Edd n Eddy episodes on my laptop for safekeeping, and I always watch Futurama and Simpsons episodes online. Plus, I'm watching tons of cartoon shorts as reference material for a "little" fan fiction piece I'm writing.

Seriously, they hardly make cartoons like the ones in the past anymore.

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
Funny question.I do enjoy some cartoons actually. I find that now that I'm older, I see just how many cartoons there were that were also aimed at adults (see Animaniacs,Freakazoid, The Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy) so I still found them entertaining.

Other than a few other shows that used to be on Cartoon Network, I haven't really seen any cartoons I probably would enjoy, because it seems todays kids are a lot wussier and dumber than we were when we were kids. There's no more OTT violence anymore :(

EDIT : Also I will always enjoy Disney and Pixar films, no matter what my age is.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Let me put it this way, the fact that any given story is told in an animated medium does not prevent me from watching it, but often the nature of western cartoons themselves does turn me off to them. With exception made for the occasional nostalgia trip, I don't watch cartoons aimed at younger audiences, and while I used to watch them quite a bit I rarely ever watch what Westerners believe qualify as "adult" cartoons either, by which I mean stuff like Family Guy that parades as being aimed at adult audiences though it's really just an immature take on some more mature issues.

But that's not to say that being animated prevents something from being genuinely mature. Most anime is also pretty immature, but there are a couple animes that have really managed to tell profound stories. And while it's not animated, Tristan Newcomb has told darker more profound stories with puppets (particularly his Dobo character in Only Interstellar Pinball Lives Forever) than I've seen portrayed in any other media form.