Poll: Alcohol and your reasons...

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I drink for flavor, Wine, Whiskey, Vodka, Schnapps, Absinthe, Gin, Jenever, Rum. Depends on what kind of day it is. Not beer that I drink to make fun more fun with mates.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I only drink drinks that taste good. Beer is way out the window and even wine I very rarely consider. Spirits I only have on their own if they taste alright (eg. Bailey's but only in small amounts) otherwise I have basic spirits with ginger ale (mostly because it removes the taste of alcohol) and any other spirits I'd only really have in cocktails. Seriously, I find most soft drinks more enjoyable, mostly because they don't have alcohol in them! :p However, I can't go past a good Scotch or Brandy, perfect way to end an evening!

I held back from drinking until I was 18, partially to show everyone it could be done, partially because I had no care for it anyway and partially because I have no wish to get drunk off my face for the sake of itself or because everyone else is. I was thoroughly surprised and relieved to find that most people here actually don't drink or at least certainly don't drink for its own sake. However, I fear we Escapists may consist of some of the more level-headed people of society...

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Dags90 said:
I drink to power my fuel cells, obviously.
And we have a winner.

Personally, I don't have anything to do with the stuff. If I wanted to ingest poison, I'd get someone to pay me for it, not the other way around.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
thejdcole said:
I drink in social situations, that is, whenever me and my friends go and play pool I will have a beer or two. A lot of people say they don't like the idea of not being in control but with myself personally I find that I am far more relaxed and less uptight after a few beers than I am normally.
That is because the initial effects of alcohol are just that. Unfortunately, people believe that if they drink more it'll feel better, and that's when they lose control. Some people know they're like this and don't drink, others don't care and do it anyway. I've drunk heaps of times and I've never once gotten drunk. Hell, I seemed more drunk at a friends party where I only drank soft drink than I did at another party where I actually drank a couple years later!

OT: Kudos for knowing your limit and enjoy alcohol they way it should be!

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Alcohol is an ingredient to be used in special occasions. I don't drink much (although I'd be lying to say that I don't like to), but when I do it's invariably socially. If everyone else at the party has a beer, and if I'm not driving, what the heck (although that's also the party where I learned exactly how I feel about beer...).

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don't drink. Sure, I taste when I'm at parties or whatever, but I never drink to get drunk. The most that I have gotten is tipsy, and that was because of heavy mixing as well.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Predominantly socially, occasionally to escape problems/reality. I would say on average I consume about 15 units a month (a pint of Guiness is 2.3 units) and my consumption is mostly spread pretty evenly (no more than two pints in an evening).

Very occasionally though I have necked a bottle or two of vodka (20cl bottles) so not to have to deal with life for an evening.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I drink beer because I like the taste. I used to drink to get drunk when I was younger but now I just enjoy the flavor.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
I drink socially, but I do LIKE to drink.
It's not that the flavour bothers me or anything.

But I don't feel the need to drink on a daily basis or anything.
Give me a good old Murphys though and I'm a happy camper!

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
i kinda quit, stopped seeing the joy of it, it just made me more depressed and my thoughts less controlable. It's sad......

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I don't drink. Not only am I not old enough (next year I will be) but I don't like the smell and taste of alcohol. The only alcohol I like are things like Bailey's and Khalua (spelling?) that you typically mix into things. It adds a nice flavor without the alcohol taste. And I've only ever tried those, it's not like I've gotten drunk off of them. When I turn 21 I'll drink until I'm drunk, but probably never touch the stuff again.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
The last time I had a drink was at the hotel the night after the first day of last May's London Expo. And I intend to drink again at the next one, the end of next week.

I drink socially, but I don't really get out enough to consider it 'social' drinking XD

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
I'll happily drink when going out for a meal, but I only really drink at parties. When I'm at a party, I just keep drinkng until I feel really happy-happy. I've never drunk so much that I've been sick or enough to suffer actual negative effects (besides a killer hangover).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I drink because it's a fun thing to do socially. I've never drank by myself but I will once or twice a week with my friends.
I can drink pretty excessively sometimes but rarely to the point where there are overt negative effects, bar the occasional hangover.