Poll: Anime Dubbed VS Subbed

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I normally watch dubbed, since I don't like having to read subtitles while the animation is passing me by. However, if the dubbed is too far off from the feel of the original script, I'll be pissed off. For example, Sorcerer Hunters, which was a B-grade anime to begin with, had horrible dubbing because they censored some joke. The sub was much better because it was true to the characters as original designed.

Or just when the voice actor in the dubbed version isn't as good. Code Geass's main character, Lelouch, had a much better voice actor in the Japanese version. He actually changed his tone and speech between Lelouch and Zero. In the English version, the voice actor didn't change his voice at all and his overall emotional range seemed poor.

But good animes like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop, where they are true or close to the original, make watching the dubbed versions much more enjoyable because I don't have to take the time to read the subtitles. I don't believe that Japanese actors are just generally better as some sub-fanatics will rave about. I do believe a lot of translation companies have hired subpar people to do the dubbed in the past, which gave dubbed anime a bad reputation, but now that anime's popularity has increased from a niche market, there are more animes being dubbed with quality translations and voice actors.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Depends on the anime and the quality of the dub, or if there is one. I usually listen to dub when it's available, but if it's aweful, like Higurashi's,.then I prefer sub. I do however prefer dub over sub when I watch Hellsing, because it's just strange that they're in London but they're speaking Japanese, plus the accents are awesome.

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
When I used to buy anime it was always subbed videos or DVDs that would allow you to watch it subbed, but I never through a hissy fit when it came to watching dubbed.

Cieloftw

Aug 18, 2009
I usually prefer subs over dubs, although for a reason possibly different from others'. I find that some dubs actually cut out or censor scenes from the actual anime (example: Digimon and the 4kids version of OnePiece), some of which are just unnecessary. I usually watch subs because they have the anime as the way it's supposed to be.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
not a big anime fan, but the few times I do watch them, if I have the option I prefer dubbed. For some reason the japanese language just hurts my ears, especially when it's a female character talking. Overall their voices just seem too high-pitched (both genders)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Where's the "don't care, if it's that important translate it yourself option?"

Honestly, from the anime I've seen, it doesn't seem to matter.

Then again, I hear Mister Miyazaki is pretty defensive of his work.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
I don't watch thaaat much Anime, but i do watch a lot of foreign films. I HATE dubbing in films. Subtitles are much better. This extends to the (little) anime that i do watch.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
subbed

i like my foreign films and it does not bother me

my brother would get bleach online before it came on tv where i live when i found out a local kids station was getting the episodes dubbed i would see the difference and it just sounded really fucked up
i know they are trying to keep it in the regular context and stuff but i like my originals and the whole time i was saying that Ichigo does not sound like that!
then my mum told me to not be a cranky old man complaning at the tv

also with subbed they can get episodes out faster to north america than dubbed

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I'm more into subbed, however there is some dub anime that I'll watch. Example Haruhi and Lucky star.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Subs. American voices (in anime) is usually godawful. Plus if I dont understand what the characters are saying (even though I read it) the anime way of talking doesnt sound so retarded.

Point in case FF13. That game sounds like its directly translated from japanese. Would be 100000 times better if they got someone to rewrite it for the english audience since they dont want to give us japanese voices.

tawmus

Apr 28, 2010
Depends on the show, example; Samurai Champloo with English dubs is unwatchable for me as opposed to FLCL which I'd rather watch with dubs.

Regardless, translating certain languages to English is bound to have some problems. They tend to "lose" some meaning in translation.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
sub.
dubs are either terrible (4kids), decent (present-day funimation) or flat out goofy (everyone else)

but i really hate dub voices for the most part, unneeded change in dialogue to make it "funnier" to the american audience (yuck) , or the way voice actors pronounce names.
they sound absolutely terrible.

Burwood123

Dec 2, 2009
I cant stand to watch any anime Dubbed.. i dunno why, i will watch my childhood ones dubbed, Pokemon, Cardcaptor sakura, digimon, medabots. shows like that. Oh and any Studio ghibli movie, i can only watch dubbed, I'm a bit wierd like that.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I always watch an anime subbed first. That's because they are fan subbed. If the anime is good and needs more attention, as well as being released in other countries, I will buy the dvd and watch either dubbed or subbed at my own leisure.

I enjoy the original Japanese for all of the actual character in the voices. This is probably because the animation was made for Japanese audiences. Transferring it to English is like dubbing a KungFu. It doesn't matter how good the kungfu ends up being, sometimes the English voices throw you off the full feeling of what the characters are trying to represent.

Another problem I have is the sheer lack of voice talents that end up in dubbed anime. For some reason most women represented in dubbed anime have a high-pitched shrill voice. This may or may not work in the Japanese language, but it does not in English. It ends up making one's ears bleed. And every main character has to be dubbed by one of three people with the same exact character voice. Such as the guy who does Vash the Stampede. It would be nice if they made an attempt not to sound identical for every character they play.

On the other hand, if I rent anime, I watch it dubbed if I want to do something in the background. This way I can better follow the story as it is in my own language. I do not have to go through mental translation.

And then it depends on how well things are subbed/dubbed. Blueseed has some of the most boring Japanese dialogue. Only one character has character to her voice. (Sakura Yamazaki, for those who wonder and have seen the anime). So I prefer the dubbing with that one, though the dubbed Momiji makes me rake out my eardrums with icepicks. I also prefer the dubbing to Helsing as it was just done much better over all.

haku1219

Apr 4, 2010
I hate having to reading while watching a video-_-........thats kind of counter-productive

Gerrawn

Apr 2, 2009
Depends entirely on the anime, I think some are better dubbed and some are better subbed.