Poll: Are murderers forgivable?

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
well if its justifiable homicide (ie the person was trying to kill them/their family) then straight away.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Only is self defence, but you must admit the act to the police

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
As mentioned, if I feel the murder was justified morally then I would be able to forgive the murderer.

I don't see it happening regularly, and I don't think it's right, but I'm just answering honestly.

The Last Gaijin

Feb 9, 2011
i7omahawki said:
DanielBrown said:
It all depends on who you kill and why.
My mom once told me about a friend she had who murdered a man because he had raped his five year old niece(iirc). Totally justified in my opinion.
Good example of where the issue gets tricky for me, I think it is justified in that I could not blame any one person in any way attached to that situation for that resulting action. However, I don't think it is 'justice', so to speak. As in, I don't think anything like that should be sanctioned by law or even be recommended by those not personally affected.

I don't think pedophiles should be killed, mostly as I think by killing them we are exterminating the possibility for understanding them. Not understanding them in the sense that they are misunderstood, good people, but understanding why this fucked up thing happens and why, when it does, people do actually act on it.

I'm of the controversial opinion that pedophiles should be treated, not jailed, and the public should look on it as a disorder, not as simply being a monster. That said, if that situation occurred and resources available to them, AND they still acted upon them by rape or even molestation, we could truly condemn them.
Since this is somewhat off-topic, I'll try to keep it brief, but I agree with you that pedophilia is a disorder which needs to be cured rather than condemned. Also interestingly when you look at the statistics (I found all mine through Wikipedia), between 3 and 9% of the population have the disorder but the estimated number of child abusers stands between 0.5 and 1%, the actual percentage of those convicted are less than a tenth of that. Add to that the fact that around 15% of child sexual abusers don't meet the psychological criteria for pedophilia and it appears then that only a minority of those attracted to children are actually weak enough to give into their urges. If we could find out why that percentage give in and how others don't, then maybe we could actually get to and treat potential abusers before they commit a crime.

OT: Depends on circumstances, if they were fully aware of their actions and not mitigated then I would find it hard to forgive, especially if the murder was unprovoked and/or pre-planned.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Strict rules are good for maintaining a society, but I don't like them in people. it depends on the circumstances if I am willing to forgive someone. But are you seriously saying you think a man who kills a burglar a worse person than, say, Joseph Fritzl?

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Well, if it's proven and investigated thoroughly, that a person has accidentally, or inderectly, caused the death of someone else. Then, I suppose, it's forgivable. But only in that case. I don't buy the whole "mental instabillity" bullshit, that everyone get's away with today.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
jeretik said:
retyopy said:
Just give me any thoughts you have. Personally, I hold to the idea that any act is forgivable, with the exception of first degree murder. To me, once you kill someone else, planned it out and executed them, you have crossed the line between human and monster.
What? Of course! There are many reasons why murder would be forgivable - for example if it is committed out of revenge.
Are you f-ing kidding me, or what?! And please excuse me, if it that's meant to be sarcastic, but it doesn't matter what the motive is, if it's intentional, then 4k you!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Everyone is forgivable. The question of forgiveness rests on how willing YOU are to forgive.

Yes, I think we should forgive murderers, but we must protect ourselves as necessary, and if we need him/her to be locked up, exiled, killed or whatever, then so be it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Sparrow said:
Depends on the circumstances, I would think. What's the difference between killing someone on death row and letting the government do it?

omega 616 said:
If I kill a serial killer am I a monster? No, I killed one to save more and maybe revenged a few.

If I killed a little kid, then I am a monster.

It just depends on circumstances.
But what if you killed a little kid that was a serial killer? BAM, got you now!
Not really, I did it in priority order.

If the serial killer is a child they still die, like those ones in blood diamond ... except the main guys kid.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
It's complicated. Obviously, murder isn't forgivable to you, so obviously on some levels and to some people it must not be "forgivable" -- But why draw the line at murder? What about rape? In my eyes, that's worse than murder, as murder can be justified to some degree.

Take these as examples: It's possible the person you murdered did something far worse and would do it again if not stopped. War is mass-murder, yet we justify it every single day, every single time. Should all parties involved be given the death sentence because they are unforgivable? Would that act in itself be murder?

In the end, I could forgive a true friend for anything they did. I have no right to be emotionally involved in anyone else. It's none of my business and I'm no judge or jury.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
retyopy said:
Just give me any thoughts you have. Personally, I hold to the idea that any act is forgivable, with the exception of first degree murder. To me, once you kill someone else, planned it out and executed them, you have crossed the line between human and monster.
But unfortunately life isn't that simple. If I planned out to kill Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, or even more modernly, Osama Bin Ladin, would I really be a monster? Or would I be a hero for saving people's lives?

And if we are talking about the Creator's forgiveness, then he forgives any and everyone for everything. As long as you really are sorry for what you have done and attempt to stop doing it. For example, you aren't forgiven for murder when you kill someone, ask for forgiveness, and then go out and murder someone else. Doesn't work that way.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
tstorm823 said:
I disagree with the general consensus of "depends on why."

Is murder forgivable? I'd say yes. I'd say that all things are forgivable, no matter how terrible. No, I neither have proof, nor explaination for this.

Based on my experience and gut instinct, I'd say that the only time something is unforgivable is when the perpetrator doesn't want forgiveness. A man could bomb a building and kill a thousand people; their loved ones probably won't forgive him, but if he truely regrets the action, they could. Whereas a person could do so little as slapping you in the face, if they never care to be forgiven and would gladly do it again, you probably aren't ever going to think anything nice about them.
The way I see it, is that we should still forgive and forget the man who did it and didn't regret it, but keep him locked up or whatever since he has obviously proved himself to be danger to society.

That being said, even those who DO regret it, need to be locked up as well, for the same reasons.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Manslaughter, sometimes.
Murder, no.

I don't believe it's ever okay to take someone else's life. Murdering someone because they murdered does not justify it. Two wrongs not making a right and whatnot.

Saying killing Hitler would have been a good thing does not a clever argument make.

May 20, 2009
People who commit murder always have some kind of mental problem. No human murders another human because they want to. So yes I think we should forgive them. It's not easy but it needs to be done. Forgive them, understand why they did it and treat them. If they can't be treated keep them under the care of trained professionals.

Humans should have the backs of other humans and help them become better. Otherwise our species will become a fetid cess pool of cold, uncaring, individualistic, brain dead savages.

We should have already evolved from the "you bad me smash" phase.

Hired hands probably suffer from some kind of heavy trauma that leads them to think it's ok to be paid to kill another human.

War amongst humans makes no sense and that's probably the most condemnable act of killing. But people justify it with "he calls my god God/he calls my god Allah" or "he likes red/he likes blue" and then yelling "justice!!" at the end of every sentence. But even in that situation one should forgive all the killing because whoever does it is very unbalanced. Soldiers are trained to kill. Their natural disposition towards other humans is warped with ideologies and other factors that other mentally challenged people infect them with and that then send their brains back to the stone age when it comes to fighting on the battle field.

Forgiving murder and killing is the right thing to do. Hard to do but right, as is everything worth doing in life.

I'd lose my temper if someone murdered a person close to me but good thing I'm not the only human alive, that way people could stop me from going berserk on the murderer.

That's what I think anyway.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Zeekar said:
It's complicated. Obviously, murder isn't forgivable to you, so obviously on some levels and to some people it must not be "forgivable" -- But why draw the line at murder? What about rape? In my eyes, that's worse than murder, as murder can be justified to some degree.

Take these as examples: It's possible the person you murdered did something far worse and would do it again if not stopped. War is mass-murder, yet we justify it every single day, every single time. Should all parties involved be given the death sentence because they are unforgivable? Would that act in itself be murder?

In the end, I could forgive a true friend for anything they did. I have no right to be emotionally involved in anyone else. It's none of my business and I'm no judge or jury.
question, would you consider torture worse than murder?

Youma

Aug 27, 2008
We don't forgive for their sakes, we forgive for ours. Both personally, bloodlust is not healthy; and for the sake of keeping society together.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
zehydra said:
Zeekar said:
question, would you consider torture worse than murder?
I don't know.

I'd rather live with the scars and memories of excruciating torture than be dead. On the other hand, if I knew someone I love had been tortured, but lived, it's possible that I'd be more enraged than if I knew they died painlessly.

It's a matter of perspective. For comparison, though, I consider rape to be torture, so it's at least as hard to justify as that.

I should probably retract my original statement of rape being worse than murder as a "scale of wrongness" is pretty inappropriate.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
retyopy said:
What about rape? Is that forgiveable? Child abuse? Human Trafficking?

I'd say never forgive someone of a crime, and remember it always. After all, you forgiving and forgetting will not undo the past.