Poll: Are you a compulsive reloader?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, I'm a chronic reloader ....

I reckon more games should implement clip counts as opposed to ammo count. games like GR and others.

Makes more sense to me ... plus in low ammo games you will kind be looking at the magazine count and be like;

"I have 5 bullets still in the magazine .... .do I really want to reaload when I only have 2 full magazines left?!" - sorta thing

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
I reload every time my clip is empty. Which is every time I shoot at someone/something.
"What's that, little mook? It only takes 5 shots out of the 8 bullets I have in my clip to kill you? Well, here's another 3, just becuase I like you so much! *BLAM**BLAM**BLAM*"

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
I reload when i get a few seconds to do so.
Never reload in battle i switch guns instead

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Bleh, i hate reloading with a passion. But apparently, it has to me done. So i try to make sure that i wont be caught while i reload and then reload my gun.

I wouldn't mind reloading so much in a "realistic" game. In a game, i have to reload weapons because the Programmers thought it would be realistic. And yet, try to find a sniper rifle with Autofocus...

For some Reason, reloading is attached to gaming like a cancerous growth. Even in Games which would allow for magical guns that don't need reloading.

I liked Mass effect a lot. Instead of having to reload, the Weapon would overheat and then i'd have to wait until it cools down.
I could mod the weapon with Heatsinks to a point where it wont ever overheat. Or i could mod the projectiles to them explode on impact, which would make my gun a oneshot weapon with high damage.

I liked the overheating mechanic. I didn't have to think about reloading after every single corner and it allowed for freedom in gameplay. Do i mod my gun so i'll be able to spray bullets for all eternity or do i mod my gun so it does terrible Damage with one shot, with a high risk that if i miss, i'll be dead before the gun cools down?

In Mass Effect 2, we have an ammo system again. Because we didn't have enough of those.
Luckily, i have the PC version so i can recreate the mechanic of the first game with a tool.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Not really. When i reload depends on the combination of how safe i feel, and how many shots i have left.

So, if i'm in a very safe situation, then i will use the opportunity to reload, even if i've almost full ammo. I would however not do this when enemies are nearby, even if i'm behind cover. Reloading when enemies are nearby only happens for me, when i'm low on ammo.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I have a class set up on Blak Ops to deal with my Reload obsession. Dual Mag, Speed Reload, Slight of Hand Perk etc. Just so I can reload faster.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
If im using an assault rifle or an smg or something else with a low capacity, i'll reload after every 1-2 kills almost as a reflex, though if i can tell its a bad time i sometimes manage to stop myself
however if im using an lmg or a sniper rifle i'll only reload once i get to like 20% of the magazine

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I used to be like this:
Most of the time, whenever I am done engaging an enemy, just killed an enemy, am running away from an enemy, or have a period of a few seconds where I have a reasonable guarantee of not being engaged, I reload.

But after many games of MW2 where that would lead to my death, I only reload after dispatching an enemy.
It still happens where I subconsciously decide to reload in the middle of a fight on Reach, because I killed someone, but at least I don't reload every 5 seconds like I used to =|

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Really depends on the gun. Rifle with a large capacity? Nah, half a mag is fine. Some small pistol where I might need to drop 4 out of 6 rounds to kill a guy? Yeah that's staying full as often as possible.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
The idea is that if you reload manually whenever you have the chance, you won't be stuck automatically reloading while you're exposed (like popping out of cover, only to realize you only had one shot left). But as OP noted, the time taken to reload can leave you vulnerable too often, if you reload compulsively as soon as you defeat all foes on screen. I have yet to find the balance.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
I used to reload after every kill. I got over that a while ago as it wasn't doing me any favors. Now if only my brothers could learn to do the same.
Oh god this. I need to stop reloading every goddamn second.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
I used to be, and I'm gradually breaking out of it by forcing myself to avoid reloading unless I'm hidden (in games where it's relevant, anyway - in TF2 it was never an issue, Black Ops it's a huge liability).

For BlOps I tend to use Slight of Hand and Extended/Dual mags for my secondary perk and primary attachment, though, so it's usually somewhat negligible.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I certainly am. Every time I kill someone or something, I reload. I have died countless time because of this when playing various FPS online.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
YES! Most of the time, it saves my life.

But it annoys the piss out of me when games (off the top of my head Mafia and NeoTokyo) make it part of their mechanic to discard all your ammo in your gun when reloading. Why would you drop a clip or magazine on the ground? Even if you drop it on the ground, why can't you pick it up again?

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I'm more of the opposite. In games I'm rather good and comfortable at, like CS:S, I can walk around very well with a clip that's half full, if I don't have all the time in the world to reload. I know how many bullets I'll need if I know what kind of the next counter will be. And I sure as hell am not reloading after a kill, without a clip going empty, if I assume there's another enemy approaching as well.

Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it's been my undoing on more than 34,782 occasions. For some reason I feel the need to constantly have a fresh mag in place, even if I've only fired one three round burst from a thirty or even fifty round mag/drum.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Any game that doest make you lose the clip when you reload is for morons.

As for compulsive reloading, I only reload if the clip is less then half and i expect to meet heavy resistance. Dont want to get into a fight and have the clip run out gettin me killed. But its not compulsive if theres no time for a mid-fight reload i'll just engage them in CQB or switch to a side-arm.