Poll: Are you a Hipster?

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Which one is the hipster option? Do I admit yes and become part of the mainstream or stay neutral and small like Switzerland?

I wanna be like Germany!

[sub]No, not really...[/sub]
Everyone wants to be like Germany but do we have the sheer strength of will!?!

As for social labels, I can confidently say I am a nerd-I like some obscure stuff but I like some mainstream stuff too, so I'm just not "out there" enough to be a hipster.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
My fashion sense is different than most. I prefer lesser known bands and singers than the people in my country know. I'm more into indie developers for games and movies because I sure as hell have given up on the US gaming industry.

"Oh look! Modern Warfare 3! It's like Black Ops but back in that plot that we were trying to keep going that doesn't matter because you'll be playing the multiplayer too much!"

Screw that.

But I prefer not to be called a "Hipster." I prefer the term "Differently Minded."

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Pfft, I was a hipster before it was cool.

Lol. Anyway, I honestly don't know, I've only come across it recently and I think that the definition is so damn broad that anyone can be a hipster if they're not already associated with any other group, but I guess that there can be cross-overs with various other subcultures, so even then it's possible to be a hipster and not even realize it.

I personally don't associate myself with that word due to its negative connotations, but for all intents and purposes it's very possible that I could be a hipster. The problem is I JUST DON'T KNOW!

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of about being intelligent and being yourself, which is what the broadest definition of "hipster" seems to be. However I cannot stand indie music, I think it's uninspired and incredibly stagnant as a genre; there's not a single song I've heard that doesn't already sound like all the other indie crap out there, to be frankly honest it's fucking boring.

I suspect I'm probably a geek, but even then I don't know, so at the risk of sounding like a hipster douchebag, I'll have to say that I prefer to stay away from labels. But not because I'm trying to be "cool" or even because of some ideological reason like "I don't subscribe to your labeling system as I feel it's best I define myself through my actions". Nope, it's because all the labels recently have gotten so damn convoluted over the years that I just don't fucking know any more.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
By the definition on Urban Dictionary, I suppose yeah, I'm a hipster.

I really don't mind the label. I find a lot of hipster guys attractive, anyway, and I'm not being a hipster just for the hell of it; it's genuinely how I think and what I like.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I dunno, maybe. I mean, i like artsy movies and games, listen to obscure music, like to wear scarfes and i think some (though not all) things which are considered "Mainstream" kinda suck. But i don't think that i act like a hipster.

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
Hipsters are the biggest douchbags around and i really like to think that
i am too nice of a guy to be a douchbag. Plus, i do not wear clothes like they do.
Bloody hipsters, getting on my nerves.....

Yeah, also, being a hipster has actually become "like way too mainstream" by now.

Yorkshire_matt

Apr 7, 2009
To think and act in a counter culture way and to enjoy music of such a style doesn't shoehorn people in to the class of hipster.

A lack of intelligence and a need to conform to the will of a group does

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
I've been labelled as one simply for going to school in the city. I guess that enough is a pre-requisite somehow...

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009

I'm pretty sure this sums up what a hipster is.

And no, I'm not. I have some qualities of being a hipster, such as I dislike being labelled in a group, because I don't think I really fit into any, as much as I kinda fit into several groups, and I'm not a dickhead (so I'm DEFINITELY not a hipster)

T0xiCity8

May 26, 2008
I have quite a lot of traits of a hipster, mainly my dress sense. But I consider myself far to self aware and genuine. Essentially, I'm just weird.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Last Hugh Alive said:
None of the poll options really summarise how I feel about this. I might be guilty of a couple of hipster habits or mannerisms, but I don't think of myself as one. To attempt an analogy, I've enjoyed a couple of horror movies but I'm not a fan of the overall genre.
wot hee sed

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
Ahh at first I was so confused. I have never heard the term hipster before. But once I read your description I realised that I do know it we just call those people indies where I am. I am not indie myself but I know a lot of people that are and they generally dress weird but are usually very normal.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
There are similarities between hipsters and every other fashion or sub-culture out there. For example I wear skinny jeans and I love my trilby, but those are also attributes of current punk rock fashion. I like a lot of bands that many haven't heard of but that's because they're underground punk bands or metal bands who are just getting off the ground
Hipsters do exist but they're pretty hard to define because so many people are guilty of at least one or two attributes