Poll: Are You Cancelling Your Credit Card over the Steam Hack?

Sep 14, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Tigger1992 said:
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?
1. They don't know it has been taken

2. It's encrypted in AES256, they won't be getting into those files.

free copies of portal 2!?!?!

holy shit.

i am paying attention to steam every day if that is true.

OT: no...

this isn't how credit cards work.

they didn't get past the encrypted information for one thing, and two if they were somehow able to hack your steam account they'd also have to be able to hack your e-mail on top of that to authorize the use of it on their own computer.

so no, not really worried at the moment, plus i don't use the forums nor do i care if someone hacked the forum part of it.

Salazzar

Mar 1, 2010
No. Since Steam could only store my credit card number but not the correspondent PIN (which you do not use to put in an order via Steam or any normal internet shop for that matter), all I have to do is check my card activity and in any case of misuse to report it to my bank. However, I did change my account password.

Jumendez-sama

May 19, 2010
The credit card that bought the one game I bought through Steam had been swapped out already, because there was a similar issue with Steam last July.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Dont think I should, I always use paypal when dealing with steam anyway.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
Gabe Newell is essentially correct. Encryptions are made specifically to be virtually impossible to break. If they manage, I will be sincerely surprised. While I changed my email and contact information, I am not changing any credit card information.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Tigger1992 said:
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?
Protip: try actually reading the notices before you panic.

There is no evidence that they got the card numbers or personally identifying information and no one has reported any fraudulent charges yet.

It's a good idea to change your password, but not much else. Also, most banks are very good about fraudulent charges, so even if a charge did show up, it's usually pretty easy to undo. Unless you're totally oblivious about your bank accounts, which would be silly given how easy it is to check them online nowadays.

martintox said:
I've just uninstalled Steam.

Besides, I've been spending way too much money on it anyway.
See above. They just got the salted and hashed data. The probability of them actually obtaining numbers is unbelievably slim.

I sympathize with you about the money though.

Nov 28, 2007
I deleted my debit card info. Not that it matters for two reasons. First, the AES256 thing. Secondly, my account has a little over $2 on it right now. Have fun with that shopping spree.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I didn't put my credit card info on Steam, thankfully. But I'll probably have to go and change all my passwords... again. Le-sigh.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Matthew94 said:
1. They don't know it has been taken

2. It's encrypted in AES256, they won't be getting into those files.

Going by your comment (and similar ones I've seen, including Gabe's statement), AES256 seems pretty damn safe. I am, however, utterly clueless about encryption. Just how safe is AES256 and why? In layman's terms, please.

(This was not meant to question you or anything, I'm just curious about it.)

standokan

May 28, 2009
No, the only game I have on steam is TF2...

Also, god I love Gabe Newell, no, Gabe Newell I love Gabe Newell.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hahaha, no. They're using AES256. Those files are as safe as they can be.

Feb 13, 2008
Sunrider84 said:
Just how safe is AES256 and why? In layman's terms, please.
AES256 protects the nuclear launch codes. Simple enough? :)

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/documents/aes/CNSS15FS.pdf

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
Removed my saved credit card info, changed password, deauthorized all other computers via Steam Guard.

I'm under a self-imposed spending ban right now anyway, so...yeah.