Poll: Are You Cancelling Your Credit Card over the Steam Hack?

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
Nope, but if I can shift my debt into a credit union I'm canceling it anyways, because screw getting gauged by visa.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sunrider84 said:
Just how safe is AES256 and why? In layman's terms, please.
AES256 protects the nuclear launch codes. Simple enough? :)

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/documents/aes/CNSS15FS.pdf
More than enough. I am now even less worried, which is pretty impressive, seeing as I wasn't even slightly worried to begin with.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
Going by your comment (and similar ones I've seen, including Gabe's statement), AES256 seems pretty damn safe. I am, however, utterly clueless about encryption. Just how safe is AES256 and why? In layman's terms, please.

(This was not meant to question you or anything, I'm just curious about it.)
Basically the general method for decrypting a file is called 'brute force'. Throwing numbers at the file's encryption until something comes out the other end that makes sense. AES256 has so many possible combinations that it would take a really long time, as in, we'll probably all be dead and our descendants will be space communists in another galaxy by the time the code gets cracked.

I only keep a small amount of money of my card, so even if it does get grabbed, I won't lose out to much.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I changed the password, and I have Steam Guard.

And I don't have a credit card. I use a separate pre-pay debit card for online purchases, and only put money on it when I'm actually going to buy something :p

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I changed my password and have steam guard. Steam guard probably won't help because they didn't try to get into my account, but the information they got was encrypted and hashed so there isn't much they can get out of it.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
if this would have happened with any other platform there would be so much whine. but steam has so many mindles fansheep, it's really amusing^^

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
No worries about the CC being grabbed, especially with the encryption they're using. Not going to happen. In other important news, SKYRIM IS OUT!!!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Nope. If there are some credit card information there it has been at least two years old. That card doesn't work anymore.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Nope, I use PayPal and Steam doesn't have access to my account's password.

Also, you should consider adding a poll.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
If I notice anything wrong with my statements, then yeah, but otherwise no.

SweEscaspist

Oct 13, 2010
Well, I am using a bank card that takes money directly from my account when I buy stuff. Plus, I have a authenticator for my account that I need even to get into my account in the first place, and that encryption thingie sounds good. So I guess I should stop worry about this. Plus, I could find any info about my card anywere on my profil settings and stuff. And I changed my password. :3

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Nope. I changed my Steam password because it was the same as my Steam forum password, but I have faith that Valve properly encrypted that thing that they don't think was stolen. Odds are very good that we are safe, but I'm glad that Valve was so transparent.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
nothing has gone on my account that i didn't put there so not going to worry about it

samfergo

May 18, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Tigger1992 said:
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?
1. They don't know it has been taken

2. It's encrypted in AES256, they won't be getting into those files.

What is this? Free video games? Is this legit?

Also I don't plan on doing anything drastic maybe a password change.

Mar 2, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Matthew94 said:
Tigger1992 said:
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?
1. They don't know it has been taken

2. It's encrypted in AES256, they won't be getting into those files.

Ayup.
Mathematically, it would take a regular 4ghz processor more time than the sun has existed to brute-force AES256.
Even jacking up the factor of processing, that's STILL a long fucking time to crack one file.
Shit, I just paid for Portal 2 -_-

OT: Nope, haven't used my credit card on Steam for well over a year and didn't save the purchase info.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nah, I'm not too worried. If Gabe tells us to worry, then I'll worry. But for now, I'll put some faith (and quite a bit of mathematical reason) into the AES256 encryption. But I did also change my password, on the principle of "shits and giggles".