Poll: Are you excited for the next gen consoles ?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
FelixG said:
I have a PC, why would I really care?
Because so many AAA games are crossplatform. In the current gen this has meant that they have been designed around the PS3 and Xbox 360, which are very outdated, criminally underutilising the power of any current gaming rig. The next gen consoles will be far more powerful and the games will merely be substantially underutilising the power of current gaming rigs.

All in all, PC games look set to get prettier.

It would be nice I guess if there were more PC exclusive AAA releases but being held back by better consoles is an improvement.

I'm in the PC master race myself and I'm eager to see better consoles.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
I miss the option "Not particulary excited, but I'll get one eventually"
So yeah I too option #3

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Not really. If a load of really good exclusives are released I might relent down the line, but at the moment I'm not interested.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
There's no option for "NO - I'm quite happy with my PS3/Xbox 360" which I am.

We all know that the next gen will only bring advanced graphical power. I'm quite happy with today's graphics. Kinect and Move have shown us all that Microsoft and Sony haven't an innovative bone in their corporate bodies. True innovation lies with the actual video game developers who have to think smart to find something new and original despite current console limitations. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have still got plenty of tricks yet, don't give up hope.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Well, I'm quite happy with my PS3, so I'm in no rush to see it replaced. I am excited, yes, but I also don't mind the wait. I've got plenty left to play.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Well, I am just fine with my PC, but on the other hand it is about time for technology to advance and because of that I am slightly excited.

However, you never know, maybe there will be lots of great exclusives that interest me and I will end up getting one anyway.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
veloper said:
Do we even know enough already about the next M$ and Sony consoles to have anything to get excited about at all?
Well, they'll be New and Consoles... that's enough for some people.

As for specs... ennnhhhh... it depends. If the final products use the same CPU architecture as the ones claimed for the Orbis and Durango devkits then, yeah, we have a pretty good idea of the specs. However if the final product consoles end up using a different CPU architecture then it's a LOT trickier to extrapolate.

I just hope the next gen of console aren't RAMtarded like the current gen.
Indeed. The next gen will bring many more improvements than just graphic fidelity. Larger open maps, faster load times, more players in multiplayer and smarter AI to name just a few. An increase in RAM will really free developers up and allow them to do these things without having to spend so much money just to get their vision to work with outdated harware.

That said I won't be buying one. I've never owned a console, and see no reason to do so now.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Nope. My experiece from this current console generation tells me that the best games for consoles don't come out until at least around 6 months after launch. Besides, I have no interest in spending money on yet more gaming consoles. I already have a PS3 and Xbox360, and these things aren't cheap. I'll take "The Last of Us" and "Bioshock Infinite" for my hype generators, thanks.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
I'm hoping that next gen consoles will be the same jump as the last. I can't think of how to put that clearer, but I also don't think it makes much sense. Basically I want the jump from this gen to the next to be the same as the jump from the last gen to this one.

I'm a strong believer that the PS3 is better than the Xbox 360, due to the better hardware, and I'm also betting my money that the PS4 will be better, due to past experience with Sony consoles. I am incredibly excited for next gen consoles and always will be excited as far as consoles go, since I don't have the funds to afford a decent gaming PC. I won't buy one at launch due to the fact that the next gen consoles will, no doubt, be insanely expensive, but I am extremely excited for them.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
My 2yo PC will still be more powerful so no thank you on the next generation of consoles.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
octafish said:
Indeed. The next gen will bring many more improvements than just graphic fidelity. Larger open maps, faster load times, more players in multiplayer and smarter AI to name just a few. An increase in RAM will really free developers up and allow them to do these things without having to spend so much money just to get their vision to work with outdated harware.
Well, let's be honest, with the current economic climate as it is, console manufacturers can't afford to go over the top on graphics tech... both Orbis and Durango apparently using AMD APUs pretty much underlines that. They're probably looking at giving what is today top-of-the-line console graphics but without developers having to sink millions in optimisation to achieve the same results (which also means devs that want to go gangbusters on graphics can spend their millions on optimisation).

Going big with RAM allows developers to provide improved gaming experiences, such as you mentioned, at little extra cost for the manufacturer... and that could prove to be important to them if the growth of tablet gaming (and the underlying tech) and mobile OS based consoles start becoming an even moderately viable competitor to more traditional console gaming.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The more I hear, the less excited I am getting, I've moved into PC gaming recently and I think it may become my main gaming source.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Well all I really know is that the PS3 has more power. I'll admit that the xbox has better online and less memory bottlenecks, but the Blu-ray (meaning generally better graphics. I'll admit, not that noticable though) and power of the console sell it for me. As well as this, the console exclusives are much better and way more diverse.

I will admit, also, that the original xbox was better than the PS2, that much is true, and I never played an N64 so what you're saying there is probably also true, but for me (aside from the PS2), Playstation has always been the better console. For me.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
No...no I'm not excited. Not because I don't want any new consoles but simply because I can't fucking afford them. *sigh* Considering that this last generation costed....WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH (No this isn't a rant about console costs, the consoles were expensive whether you found the pricing fair or not), I can only assume that the next generation will be equal to having to sell a lung and a kidney to afford them.

So Microsoft and Sony can take their time with getting the new consoles out as far as I'm concerned.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Not especially. I've kind of phased out of consoles. o have a 360, but since I co-own it with my younger brother, and i already have a rather nice laptop, I'm letting him keep it when i head to uni this year.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I'm not really saying it's a powerhouse over the 360, but with a lot of the games that I've played on each console, there has typically been less crashes or frame rate issues. Typically there is rarely any on the 360 either, there's just even less on the PS3 (Fallout for example, was one game I noticed this in particular). I never really said that the PS3 had some type of great power over the 360, it's just that little bit better. Or I always thought it was at least.

And I do agree with you about the financial issues. Thinking about it, when the time comes, Sony won't even have come close to the funds they'll need to create a next gen console that will be better than it's competitors.

When I talk about the graphics, it just seems that they've always had an edge for graphics. And for the blu-ray, I am aware that it's just for storage and honestly I'm not sure why I said it meant better graphics. But it still holds a great edge for me as I can play all of my games on one disc, no trouble.

For the most part, you're right and I'm not really arguing with what you're saying, just stating personal experience (But very poorly worded). It could just be bias, since I've grown up with primarily a playstation over anything else, but it just seems like the stuff I've said is true from personal experience.