Poll: Are you excited for the next gen consoles ?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Where's the I'm not excited, but I'll be getting one anyways. Any excitement I have is immediately drowned out by fear companies are going to do something stupid to milk you for money. Like adding DRM to consoles or making you pay to go online. I just want a cheap box that plays games that look prettier than this gens, and I'm fairly sure I'm not going to get that.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I would be excited... if I had the money for it. But I don't. Seriously, I had to wait more than half of this generation to afford a 360. Now new consoles are on the horizon? Fuck that noise!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Could do with a simple "No". I might buy one, but I'm not over excited by them. The WiiU was pretty good when I played it though, tempted by it

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The WiiU is the start of the next generation. I'll get one just for Zelda

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
You know, I'm not all that excited. I'm excited to see where the medium goes, but I've slowly been making the shift to PC over the last year and a half. I'll probably get one of the consoles at some point. Maybe. Possibly.

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
My vote goes for "NO but I'll see what they have to offer". They could win me over, but I definitely will not buy one at launch

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Mircosoft has spent the last few years trying to get their console to be seen more as an entertainment hub than an actual game console. XBL has been getting more and more ads, and its biggest new features have had nothing to do with games. Plus, I don't really have an interest in their exclusives. So no on the NextBox for me...

As for Sony, I'm not sure. The PS3's constant firmware updates and opposition to backwards compatibility have left a bitter taste in my mouth, and the exclusives don't seem as promising as they did between the PS2 and PS3. And that's not even getting into the rumors... I might get a PS4, but it'll really depend on what they show on the lead-up to launch.

Nintendo might be making missteps, but they do seem to be the only one of the big three actually trying to fix their (many) mistakes from last gen. Plus, their franchises are as strong as ever, with a couple exceptions. The WiiU's launch hasn't blown me away, but there actually is something I'm looking forward to from it, and Nintendo has actually been trying to put their money where their mouth is in terms of trying to appease the hardcore market (with mixed results...).

Honestly, I'm just going to stick with my WiiU and get a better laptop...

Mr pokey lope

Dec 17, 2012
The graphics and the controllers of the PS3 and Xbox 360 are already great IMO. I just don't see what else they can add other than pointless gimmicks that will actively make the consoles worse. There's not much to go on yet and hopefully I will be surprised and there will be real innovation, but I'm worried that I will end up shelling out around £300 just to play games that could otherwise run on my PS3.

All in all, not looking forward to new hardware but would like to see what new games we'll get.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Voted: NO! i don't like consoles
Wanted to vote: Not yet

New consoles don't excite me anymore. I'm excited by the actual games they release.
It's very likely I'll own at least one of the next gen consoles if not all 3 by the end of the life cycle.

Getting them on day one is seldom important unless the timing is right. By which I mean I'm bored of other games and I happen to have the extra disposable income needed to justify a day one console.

Corakus1

Jan 6, 2013
Not at launch I won't.A new console will most likely make quite a dent in my wallet, and the selection of games isn't usually that large for consoles when they're just released.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Not at first. Xbox had the red ring of death for two years. The PS3 had a way too large price tag. Wii is horrible all over. Besides I have a large amount of games to keep me occupied.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I'll have to wait until I get a proper HDTV with a 120 or 240Hz refresh rate. Right now all my TVs are bargain line 60Hz units. So until I can fully appreciate the graphics, I won't pay premiums for new consoles. The "Soap Opera Effect"; it makes old things look different, and new things look insane.

I would appreciate another option on the poll like "Hell yeah, I'm eventually getting them all" because I'm crazy like that.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
If it gets developers to make games with "more shit on screen" then i'm all for it. Games today feel rather limited in scope. Every street is so narrow and so short, with so few people in it.

Gimme scope and I'll consider buying your toy

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
There's no poll option for yes, but I don't like consoles.

I'm excited because most games are ports and have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Raising the low bar improves us all. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MRiMT9cnE]

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I'm excited to see what the next-gen consoles bring to the table but seeing as I already have a beast of a PC I see no need to buy them at launch.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Yes but not because I plan on buying one of them. I just want to see tech move forward so I can get some use out of my PC's hardware again.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
My only hopes for the new console is that it permits developers to make a game that is up to modern standard.
Seriously, 720p and 30 FPS locks are getting in the way of proper gaming, for me anyway.
I'd love developers to make games primary for PC, making them as beautiful and powerful as possible, then downgrade it to the consoles so that it can run on those systems too.
Instead what actually happens is games get made primary for console users and the PC users get a shitty half arsed port to PC.
I just prefer the free nature of PC gaming to the console ones so I'll stick to PC. Console just feels limited, playing a FPS with a thumbstick is just... why?