Poll: Are you religious?

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
I am religious but "Higher Criticism" religious, rather than "Literal" one.
Aka I treat Bible like any Greek philosophy book.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Keep it respectful guys. We don't need people bashing religion right now.

OT: No, I'm not. I used to be Catholic but stopped because I hated going to church. Now I'm nothing.

I've kinda gotten into Quantum Mechanics and there was recently a video that came out that explained it pretty well to me.

The way I see it, Science hasn't explained emotion in a logical way yet. And from what I think, I doubt they ever will be able too.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I'm a Darwinian Christian and I'm quite strong in my beliefs...However, I dislike all the hate religion I see now - well maybe hate isn't the word. I feel ashamed sometimes of being religion when I hear people say "religion-x is dumb" or "religion-y is a load of lies" especially if that religion is my own...And I'm kinda worried I'm gonna get some hate for this post

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Agnostic atheist here... So... I chose 'no'. Because agnosticism has nothing to do with the question.

Jun 5, 2010
Am I Religious? This would have to depend on what your definition of Religious is. If you find that Religion is were a group of middle-class white men talk about how much jesus hates gays, atheists, and other people's religions than this is not what I am. If you believe religion is a place where priests and pastors abuse children and write it off as "Gods will" then I am not religious. If you define Religion as people gathering to learn to love people and be considerate and kind while they follow jesus and learn to be like him. Thats what I am a part of.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
If you're agnostic, that doesn't answer whether or not you're religious...

I'm atheistic, in any case, and also, strictly-speaking, agnostic.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Christopher N said:
I'm a Darwinian Christian and I'm quite strong in my beliefs...However, I dislike all the hate religion I see now - well maybe hate isn't the word. I feel ashamed sometimes of being religion when I hear people say "religion-x is dumb" or "religion-y is a load of lies" especially if that religion is my own...And I'm kinda worried I'm gonna get some hate for this post
Nah, no hate. You're allowed to dislike it, as long as you're not actively trying to prevent people from criticising your, or any religion; it's fine.

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
When people ask, I always say my religion is poetry. I know, I know, it's an obnoxious thing to say. But it's honestly what makes the most sense to me.

There is something that connects everything in our universe, otherwise it wouldn't be called a universe. And that connection is the closest to God my beliefs will ever come. I don't believe in a man in the clouds looking down on us. That seems stupid to me. But I think the simple fact that our tiny planet contains so much warrants more than just a shrug. That volcanoes could erupt, lightning could strike, and -- dare I say it -- life could evolve, is enough to make me spiritual. That amazement is my spirituality. Writing is how I worship, if you will.

Pretty damn weird, I guess.

But if poetry doesn't seem like a valid religious belief to you, (and I don't blame you) I guess I'm agnostic.

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
Project_Omega said:
Well, this is a question I could probably answer by writing an Essay of 6 or 7 pages thick, but I will try my best to keep it short.

I think I am religious, I like to think that there's someone or something that made us, maybe not literally like it is said in the bible. I don't believe in the bible, since it was written by a bunch of Pre-Medival men, they are human and the bible was translated so many times it could have been easily mistranslated or some of it lost in the ages. I like some of the ideas in the bible, and the example of Jesus, but I won't defend it like some crazy cul-de-sac crusader.

I like to think that there is this higher force or a being that watches over us and protects us, but I don't know what it looks like or what he/she is like.

And before I get hit by the shitstorms of atheists and theists alike, let me just tell you :

You are both probably wrong, and you will probably never know the truth. Deal. With. It.
OK, I know it's a little cheap of me to poke at you while you're suspended, and for that I do apologize in advance, but I really have to point at that last bit.

One way or the other, either the 'theists' (in the broadest sense of the word) or atheists have to be right. What are you positing otherwise? There is one, or there are many, half-gods? There is no middle ground between "Gods exist," and "Gods don't exist."

fnzeta

Aug 28, 2011
i find religion as a path to answer the more intangible questions (and act like a decent human being) in life, but the path is an averaged point of view from a select number of people. It doesn't take into account of the skewness of their beliefs or the different types of cultures which have allowed for the writings to take form and now. needless to say there are people who are outliers (and cultists) who take select readings from religious texts and disregard sections which do not fit in their mind or actively analyses the texts and disregard their own personal thoughts.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
Well , goddman , that's alot of atheists in one gaming forum ! XD

personaly , I'm religious , but not strictly religious.

sometimes I suspect that I might be an agnostic in the closet , but sometimes I become certain about the beliefs I suppost to believe in.

you can say plain lazyness plays a role here. -_-"

that's why I decided not to vote.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
OT: No, I'm not. I used to be Catholic but stopped because I hated going to church. Now I'm nothing.
Man, I'm Catholic and I have to agree going to church is a total *****.

There used to be an awesome priest that our church had that told the best homilies.
One was about buying underwear, another was wanting to strangle his friend for getting them lost in the woods, another how he got in a H-E-Buddy suit and firefighters had to come because the suit's feet melted on the concrete.
I could go on and on.

Unfortunately he went to another church. :(

OT: I'm sort of religious I guess. I mean, I'm more of a deist than anything tbh.

edit: Wow there are so many dicks in this thread, I'm overwhelmed.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
im liking these results. its nice to see a community with a rationality rate that is above 50%.

i would like to see another poll for the people that did vote that they are religious. it should ask why they are religious.

the options would be something like, 1. I was raised in a religious family, 2. I am fearful of punishment in the afterlife, 3. I willingly chose my religion later in life, 4. Other

i have no idea what could possibly qualify under "Other".