Poll: Avatar Discrimination

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I tend to not pay attention to MLP avatar posters all that much. And my mind kinda lumps the faceless posters together. No offence. But to be fair, the anime ones blend a bit as well.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Vhite said:
Except for this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] person who deserves all the hate for his/her avatar.
Wait, what?!!!!!!!!

OT indeed, there is discrimination. I remember someone had a front cover of a Manic Street Preachers album, which was of a painting of a lady with blood down her face. Some took offense to it, and I believe got quite abusive at the person in question.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I don't really discriminate based on someone's avatar, avatars are really just used to be able to easily remember regular posters as sometimes names are hard to remember. If I were to judge a poster, it would be based on the content of their posts, that's what's more important

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I think we all do, on a subconscious level, at least. Having said that, I don't let how you represent yourself get in the way of what you say.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I considered getting a custom avatar but I've been posting so long with this one and I've yet to see anyone else with it.

I figure I might as well keep it.

I actually prefer if people pick an Avatar and stick with it... or at least stick with the theme.

That being said I can never tell people with Pony avatars apart, they're always "oh, another pony avatar" and I consider them all the same person.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Loads of generic avatars can be a bit confusing at times, but so are people who change their avatar on a regular basis (like me). No, I don't discriminate (well, not on avatars. I do generally ignore posts with very poor grammar and spelling), though I would urge anyone to get a custom one. Makes long discussions a bit more clear. :)

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
Shanahanapp said:
I have on occasion been told my opinion is invalid because I have an anthropomorphic animal as my avatar, which apparently makes me a "furfag". Other that that I don't think people really do. Either you recognise someone's avatar and appreciate the reference or don't and it's just a way of distinguishing them in a way other than their name.
People have done that on the rare occasion for me because of my username xD It's actually more thought out than one would think but some people's thoughts are "omg she has wolf in her name she must be a furfag"

I don't hate on anyone, but dangit, I'm not a furry/furfag/etc and it makes me sad when people are shallow :(
What I find most ridiculous is that having Wolf in your name or an anthro avatar doesn't mean you're a furry. And even if you are a furry how does that change anything? People are silly like that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Marter said:
Yes. There is discrimination. I've seen posts and had to pass judgement on posts in which people say things like, "Yeah, well I'm not going to take anyone who has [insert thing, usually pony related] as an avatar seriously."
Yeah, well, I'm not going to take anyone who is a girl seriously, especially when they brag about it in their....

As for me personally, I don't discriminate, and the only times I think I get judged by mine is when people assume I'm a girl.
Oh dammit!

I try not to assume things about people based on their avatars. I mean, half the forums I visit I use a cat picture. Am I a cat? Well, maybe.

The only thing I care about with avatars is their help identifying someone. Which means I get annoyed when I see thirty people on the same site using the exact same pic (Not just the same character/object/whatever). I saw this a lot when MLP FIM got started. Especially with Pinky Pie.

And that is why I always start my mornings with a cup of tea.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
People have done that on the rare occasion for me because of my username xD It's actually more thought out than one would think but some people's thoughts are "omg she has wolf in her name she must be a furfag"

I don't hate on anyone, but dangit, I'm not a furry/furfag/etc and it makes me sad when people are shallow :(
Wonder what that says about me, since my name includes a plant....

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Those who have actually noticed my avatar have mostly given me a pretty positive response. Shipping!

I think the only people i'm iffy about are those without avatars because
Queen Michael said:
Whenever I see someone sans avatar I go
of this very reason.

Not really, of course, but it still annoys me because i usually go by avatars when checking out a post so that i actually can keep track of who's saying what.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I will admit to, when I see a overly sexualised avatar like the bouncy boobs of the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown et al, thinking that me and that person would probably not get along - understatement - and I have to actively try not to think less of them. Prejudice is hard to overcome sometimes =( Especially when it is later validated when glancing through a gender thread.

I also find it annoying when people don't use personal avatars and just go with the default because I recognise people more by their "faces" than by their names. It's as if I'm at a party and everyone has the same blank featureless face of a dummy; you can try to introduce me to them but in the end they're all "Bob".

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Fox12 said:
No, I don't think so. The only avatars that irritate me are the pony ones, and that's just because they all look the same to me. I can't tell the difference between the people. Otherwise I haven't seen anything offensive, and I don't judge people for their avatars.

I'll have to join the pony avatar camp. Also, I'm not exactly a huge fan of furry avatars. Other than that, I don't really mind them.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I don't discriminate against anyone with a pony avatar. However I do tend to stereotype those without one.
They tend to give off, "I'm a noob, expect me to be banned in the heated topics"
Hey, I've seen to many guys do that and it ain't hard to put some effort and get one.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
piinyouri said:
Soviet Heavy said:
My avatar speaks for itself when it comes to discrimination and conspiracy theories.
It's funny because I find your avatar is an appropriate response to a LOT of things around here.
If I might ask, what's it from?
It's from a BBC comedy series called Blackadder. Specifically, it's from Series 4, Blackadder Goes Forth.
I've always though that needs to be remixed and set to Slayer.

I suppose there must be people who have avatars about things that I don't like, and I'd probably discriminate a bit against them. I remember that someone used to have a 'No Obama' avatar, and I thought that was pretty douchey- not so much because it's anti-Obama, but because they set a political avatar on a gaming forum. People who care that much about politics are tedious.

neoontime said:
I don't discriminate against anyone with a pony avatar. However I do tend to stereotype those without one.
They tend to give off, "I'm a noob, expect me to be banned in the heated topics"
Hey, I've seen to many guys do that and it ain't hard to put some effort and get one.
I kinda agree, it tends to go hand-in-hand with a low post count. I know people will jump down our throats on this one (and I do read what they have to say and give them a chance), but it just seems to happen a bit.

I'm pretty sure there must be people who think 'look at that guy with the flashy kitty GIF avatar, he must be a twat'.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
My wrath thou shall has it, I call for a Banjo Duel!

EDIT: and I just got the joke. Still, Banjo's now!
Then banjo we shall until gods crying to our music will tear us apart.

Terramax said:
Wait, what?!!!!!!!!
You fell into a trap. To undo this curse, quote my original post again and see the address of URL link.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Maybe. I know that my own avatar which I created in 3DS Max and Photoshop in about 30 minutes has received a tiny bit of praise but I personally identify a person by their avatar and so I cannot help but silently be judgmental of it.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Seeing that generic avatar of the faceless guy with the hat makes me think: "Well, you're a bit boring, aren't you?", but I wouldn't openly treat them differently for it.

I feel I might avoid avatar discrimination. Those who know what it is always approve. Those who don't shrug and turn away without half a thought. Not a bad thing. Nobody hates Timesplitters, after all. It's not popular enough to annoy anyone.

Actually, I should add, those with female avatars that aren't women...I judge. I guess I just don't get it. It's just misleading to me.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Given how often I mess with mine, it's not really my place to judge those who don't mess with theirs at all.

Like just recently enough that it still hasn't loaded properly.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I discriminate against people with obnoxious animated avatars.
They make the forums unpleasant to look at.