Poll: Battlefront 2. You getting it?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I got over this years ago after how much a fool I was in hating on Dragon Age 2 (I still don't like the game, but I got over it)
Oh we're quite past the point of their games merely being bad.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Not happening and since I have not bought an E.A. game since 2011 I do not feel that I am going to cave anytime soon.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Nah, and I never really had much of any intention to do so. The entire progression system of that game is completely fucked, and even if they permanently removed the micro-transactions it wouldn't really change that. Also the campaign looks to be mediocre at best, and they seem to have crafted a completely predictable, boring story to go along with it.

The main thing that bothers me about the game though, is the fact that they limit how much currency you earn per day in the arcade mode. So basically if you just want to screw around and comp-stomp some bots, your progression is locked. Their excuse was "we don't want people to exploit the system", which is...just...fucking hell EA. No matter what way you take that excuse, it's fucked. They're either saying "nah, we don't want people to grind the lootboxes, just fucking buy them" or "what's in the lootboxes gives you such an advantage, that we don't want people to quickly grind them out facing bots because it'll mess up the balance". Hell, it could also be both and that's very likely the case.

They could have just had everything be unlocked for arcade and just separated the multiplayer progression from it. I remember some of the CoD games doing that. But no, I feel like how they see the arcade mode is just as a "demo" for the multiplayer. It's a babystep on the road to getting you hooked into the multiplayer and buying their shitty lootboxes.

Also as someone mentioned, other than looking nice and feeling a bit better (shooting, moving, etc), what the hell does this game do that the old Battlefront 2 doesn't do? They haven't really pushed forward at all, hell, they've gone backwards.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The first game was lackluster, but very pretty.

The second game looks like more of the same.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
No.

I'd love to make it out to be a big moral decision specific to this title, but there was no way EA was getting my money on this one anyway. The last multi-player FPS I played with any devotion was Borderlands 2, the last EA game I bought that was released in the last five years was Mass Effect 3 for the Wii-U, and I've still steadfastly refused to install Origin on my PC... And based on what EA has managed to do with beloved franchises and studios over the last several years (and in some cases, continued to do from much further back), it's hard to feel any great regret for not giving them my custom.

So as much as I'd like to say that EA screwed the pooch with this decision, that this was the straw that broke the camel's back, that this was where I draw the line and that this is the epic screw-up from which they must retreat and make amends and explain themselves to their stockholders... I'd be lying. I turned my back on them for most intents and purposes quite some time ago.

Which has allowed me the luxury of shaking my head and laughing at ME: Andromeda and The Sims 4 and Sim City and Dead Space 3, if a little sadly, without feeling a huge personal stake.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
EternallyBored said:
Silentpony said:
LostGryphon said:
Beta controls were...awful.

And, from what I've heard, they couldn't even commit to an entirely Imperial story. Standard defection bull. The P2W element is just icing on the shit cake.
Oh don't tell me Imperial Commander Shepard turns to the Rebels...
Yep, also defects ridiculously early in the campaign too, like 3 missions in and suddenly miss ?glory to the empire? is having second thoughts, basically within the first 25% of the game. By about mission 5 right after surrendering to the rebels, the main character is literally given an X-wing by Lando seconds after telling him her sob story, then lands the X-wing on Naboo and fights side by side with leia to save the planet from the empire. The characters are well acted and they?ve got some good lines, but the story is fan fiction tier at best, for God?s sake, her Dad is literally the Imperial admiral she works under and of course he stays loyal to the Empire.

All that, and it ends on a cliffhanger that is supposedly going to be completed in DLC before the end of 2017, the one up side being that at least they say that DLC is going to be free.

Basically all the marketing for the single player campaign is one giant misdirect.
Fuck me, but that does sound interesting. But the campaign would need to be twice as long(without knowing how long hours wise, I know its too short) so the switch to Rebels means something, without the cliff hanger, at $40 is a worthwhile game.
Tell one really good single player story really well. Pull a Bioshock, but in Star Wars!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

The link says what everyone knows, but what's very interesting is that EA's apparently been in touch with Disney about the FUBAR. I mean, both Disney and EA are evil corporate overlords, but since Disney is slightly less evil, maybe there's hope? Like, Disney's the Emperor and EA's Darth Vader, only the evil levels are turned around.

And while I'm here, I'll give a shoutout to DICE being the loyal Stormtroopers. Can't help but feel some sympathy since they're taking their share of the flak as well, even though it's very likely the microtransaction system was mandated by EA.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Silentpony said:
Fuck me, but that does sound interesting. But the campaign would need to be twice as long(without knowing how long hours wise, I know its too short) so the switch to Rebels means something, without the cliff hanger, at $40 is a worthwhile game.
Tell one really good single player story really well. Pull a Bioshock, but in Star Wars!
About 5 hours.

Which is remarkably close to-

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Hawki said:
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

The link says what everyone knows, but what's very interesting is that EA's apparently been in touch with Disney about the FUBAR. I mean, both Disney and EA are evil corporate overlords, but since Disney is slightly less evil, maybe there's hope? Like, Disney's the Emperor and EA's Darth Vader, only the evil levels are turned around.

And while I'm here, I'll give a shoutout to DICE being the loyal Stormtroopers. Can't help but feel some sympathy since they're taking their share of the flak as well, even though it's very likely the microtransaction system was mandated by EA.
Here's the thing about Disney though. Disney actually cares about their image as a brand. The very last thing they want is to have their name attached to a product/toy that is considered to get children into gambling or scam children for money. The questions are whether Disney execs think their brand is threatened enough to take action and how much leverage Disney still has with the EA contract already signed.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I had already decided that the game wasn't for me when I tried the beta. Far too arcadey for my tastes, with ability cooldowns deciding the outcome of a fight far more often than individual skill, and terrible balance (Darth Maul could pretty much lock down the final room in Theed). EA plunging headfirst into Scumbag Valley confirms that I don't need to waste my money on it.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Hawki said:
but since Disney is slightly less evil,
Hawki said:
Hawki said:
Hawki said:
What. The. Fuck. are you talking about? Disney literally rewrites laws to their own liking. I can't imagine a company more evil than those stealing control from the public on such a high level like intelectual property. Disney is what EA wants to become.

I just realized that my tone was a bit shit. Sorry. But still, regarding copyright Disney is a Super Nintendo, breaking all boundaries. Aside from a lot of other shit they did I personally don't consider as bad, though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
You can tell a decent story in 5 hours. COD games do it all the time(they aren't great stories but most of them are coherent and at least kinda interesting). Unfortunatly, it sounds like half the problem was that EA/Disney set up a great premise and then chickened out of actually following through with it(and what was done is apparently really poorly written), and the other is that half the campaign is following OTHER(more famous) characters around, so Iden's story is even more cheated for development.

Even the Defection, which is already a pretty crappy and clich?d "twist", could have been interesting if they'd put some decent effort into it, but apparently they just went with Iden suddenly realizing how evil the empire really is(despite, you know, working as an Imperial Special Operative for years) and then not taking any time to show the uncomfortable transition to joining the rebellion.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
EternallyBored said:
Silentpony said:
LostGryphon said:
Beta controls were...awful.

And, from what I've heard, they couldn't even commit to an entirely Imperial story. Standard defection bull. The P2W element is just icing on the shit cake.
Oh don't tell me Imperial Commander Shepard turns to the Rebels...
Yep, also defects ridiculously early in the campaign too, like 3 missions in and suddenly miss ?glory to the empire? is having second thoughts, basically within the first 25% of the game.
Apparently it's because the Empire decides that, in retaliation for the defeat at Endor, they're going to use giant lasers to blow up a bunch of Imperial cities(not Rebel/New Republic cities, Imperial cities), because fuck pragmatic villainy when being stupid evil takes way less effort to write. If I'm missing proper context for this, please correct me.

Also, it seems rather bizarre an Imperial Special Forces operative like Iden would be blissfully unaware of Imperial War Crimes and only suddenly realizing "OMG! EMPIRE IS EVIL?" years down the road. Though apparently it's her home planet being threatened by the Empires "Everyone dies for reasons" WMD attacks that makes her change her mind, which only makes it look like she cares when it's her family and friends in danger. All those previous War Crimes didn't count because they were strangers.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dalisclock said:
Apparently it's because the Empire decides that, in retaliation for the defeat at Endor, they're going to use giant lasers to blow up a bunch of Imperial cities(not Rebel/New Republic cities, Imperial cities), because fuck pragmatic villainy when being stupid evil takes way less effort to write. If I'm missing proper context for this, please correct me.
From what I've read on Wookiepedia, it's a posthumous order from Palpatine. It isn't so much the Empire arbitrarily deciding to become genocidal, it's that Palpatine, being the person that he was, didn't want the Empire to outlive him (or something).

It's arguably a case of 'stupid evil,' but I can buy Palpatine giving such orders, and some Imperials being devout enough to follow them.

Dalisclock said:
All those previous War Crimes didn't count because they were strangers.
People use that rationale in the real world as well.

I'm not defending Battlefront II (haven't even played it) per se, but I can understand the rationales here. That said, the idea of Imperials turning their back on the Empire has been done in the EU before, and done well (Death Star and Allegiance come to mind), so maybe the game drops the ball.

Naldan said:
I just realized that my tone was a bit shit. Sorry. But still, regarding copyright Disney is a Super Nintendo, breaking all boundaries. Aside from a lot of other shit they did I personally don't consider as bad, though.
Hence "slightly less evil."

Disney is far from a paragon, whether it be appropriating works (e.g. Mary Poppins) or extending copyright so no-one else can use Micky Mouse (though I can understand that), and they do have the 'giant hemogenous blob' feel to them in regards to obtaining IPs (e.g. Marvel and Star Wars). However, for better or worse, Disney does put out good products (least for their own material), and is less insidious than EA. If EA was like Disney, and did something good with the IPs it collects, we might not be having this discussion.

Mar 30, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Yep. Got it this morning, played the singleplayer intro on my lunch break. Couldn't give a shit about the multiplayer and its associated lootbox fuckery, I bought the game for the singleplayer campaign and the splitscreen skirmish mode.
How do you feel about the campaign not being complete on release, with the rest supposedly out in December?
Really? Actually ... I think that's good news. I have been enjoying the single player campaign but the one thing that has been bugging me about it is how quickly I seemed to be burning through it (as I can see from the Challenge menu that I'm on mission 7 of 12) so learning that there are more missions on the way is actually welcome news - as long as they're a free update and not locked behind a paywall that is.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I got over this years ago after how much a fool I was in hating on Dragon Age 2 (I still don't like the game, but I got over it)
Oh we're quite past the point of their games merely being bad.
But I still don't make a big fuss out of it. The last time I made a fuss was when I was going through Nerd Rage at how they butchered Dragon Age with the second game. Than I realize nerd raging is petty and pathetic.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
But I still don't make a big fuss out of it. The last time I made a fuss was when I was going through Nerd Rage at how they butchered Dragon Age with the second game. Than I realize nerd raging is petty and pathetic.
Although I'm not personally making a fuss (because nobody ever listens to me anyway so whatever), I actually approve of the others that are making a fuss. The others that are dragging EA through the mud.

I approve of this for several reasons. For one, EA has been a massive thorn in the backside of gamers and even other devs everywhere. They enforce their terrible business practices and buyout many other smaller and much more talented devs only to destroy them with their insane meddling before finally shutting them down and looking for new meat. This has been their modus operandi for years and years and it seemed like nothing would really shut them down. Then BF2 comes along...

Which leads nicely into the second and most current reason why I approve of this. Microtransactions need to die. And EA has unwittingly volunteered to be the first to be made an example of. I couldn't have chosen a more deserving company to take the heat of gamers' pent up rage that's been slowly building and building before finally unleashing in an insane unstoppable torrent.

Good. As ol' "Jim Fucking Sterling, son" puts it, "Rip and tear until it is done."

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Although I'm not personally making a fuss (because nobody ever listens to me anyway so whatever), I actually approve of the others that are making a fuss. The others that are dragging EA through the mud.

I approve of this for several reasons. For one, EA has been a massive thorn in the backside of gamers and even other devs everywhere. They enforce their terrible business practices and buyout many other smaller and much more talented devs only to destroy them with their insane meddling before finally shutting them down and looking for new meat. This has been their modus operandi for years and years and it seemed like nothing would really shut them down. Then BF2 comes along...

Which leads nicely into the second and most current reason why I approve of this. Microtransactions need to die. And EA has unwittingly volunteered to be the first to be made an example of. I couldn't have chosen a more deserving company to take the heat of gamers' pent up rage that's been slowly building and building before finally unleashing in an insane unstoppable torrent.

Good. As ol' "Jim Fucking Sterling, son" puts it, "Rip and tear until it is done."
Want to know how to kill Microtransactions? Buy the game that has it, but don't buy the microtransactions. If they see that none of the customers is buying the microtransactions, mabye they'll reconsider.

Also Jim fucking Sterling son is an overdramatic and pretentious fart of a man. I cannot believe I used to follow that guy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ummmmm, no. Cuz fuck EA and anyone else that treats their audience like dumbasses.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Want to know how to kill Microtransactions? Buy the game that has it, but don't buy the microtransactions. If they see that none of the customers is buying the microtransactions, mabye they'll reconsider.

Also Jim fucking Sterling son is an overdramatic and pretentious fart of a man. I cannot believe I used to follow that guy.
I can actually see why people wouldn't like him at all, although "Rip and tear." is from Doom originally. Having said that though, it seems like he's the only one that's spreading awareness of all these crappy business practices so yeah. The pretentious fart often has very good points.