Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I am a girl gamer, but I have my PSN as a pretty unisex s/n and I only use a mic occasionally. I make a good mix of male and female characters and so far I've never been hit on. However, I have gotten hit on by guys in the local gamestop. That's about it ^^; Sorry, not very exciting, I know.

Nikolaj Bilgrau

Apr 26, 2010
I try to, seem to be more friendly towards them, for completely obvious reasons, pretty rare though.

Play 2v2 in StarCraft II with one (Hai Vildhjerta :p)

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I treat people however they need to be treated in order to get the point across.

If someone is clearly a casual player, I'll move on and choose another team.
If someone wants to learn, I'll happily help them out.

If someone thinks they're good but is actually rubbish, I'll chew them out as much as is necessary until they get it.
Generally speaking, females online tend to get the message relatively quickly, so I guess that means I'm less of a jerk to females.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I don't often have a mic plugged in except if I'm playing an online co-op mode against NPCS (like Nazi Zombies) or I'm playing with friends. So if there is a girl I generally don't speak with her and act the same around her in-game as I would anyone else. I don't know if this counts but I play a female SPARTAN in Halo: Reach (all my friends do it as kind of joke because its fun to see people's reactions to all-girl teams in SWAT) but I have noticed I get betrayed a bit more than I was in Halo 3 a lot of times its blatantly on purpose too. Like a melee to the back of the head.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I do not play online but when a girl is on we play the same as usual and it is not uncommon there is a girl in the clan.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
The majorty of the male gamers probably that refrains from being dickish. But it's the few that ruin the game.

I won't treat female gamers differently tho. I generally don't want to be attracted to them anyway (not for being a gamer, just logical reasons like probably living too far away). If they wanted to be attracted to me, they'd be so when I am myself, not when I'm acting desperate.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
The escapist may not be the best place to ask this question. The community is pretty nice here

Aean

Jul 22, 2011
I treat people based on how they act rather than their gender, or at least try to. Most girl gamers I know seem to be a lot more serious than male gamers, so I guess you could say I treat them differently, but not based on their gender.

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
If you are a girl gamer, you can share your experiences with others not treating you the way they should.

As for me, I treat them as fairly as a can, but sometimes I would put a girl on my list of friends online in front of others (I know, that's sad). I don't talk to them as much as I can, it's just actually talking to a girl seems new to me all the time. Definitively not like high school, I never talk to girls =(Forever alone)=.

Others I've met online however, make sexist comments like: "Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!". Sometimes it would be cheesy chat up lines like: "If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together." which I have heard at least 20 times. Comments that are usually from prepubescent kids.

To see how it would be like being commented on by sexist bastards online, on Halo: Reach I made my character female with white and pink armour (make fun of me if you want). I played a couple of matches in multiplayer and then joined some recent players in their open custom games.

I eventually joined a custom game with only 2 players, some guy without a mic and a little kid who probably sleeps in a racecar bed. When they finally saw my character as a woman, the first thing the little kid said to me was "Hay, are you a girl?" I chose to not plug my mic in just encase he asks me to speak, then I sent him a text message saying "Yes, I am a girl -_-". After a couple of minutes me killing them over and over again, the little kid started saying things like "Go to the kitchen where you belong", etc.

Once I left their game the other person without a mic sent me a text message which said: "I'm gonna rape you some day" and another simply only having the word "*****".

I never contacted them after that, until EXACTLY a month later, (with messages only appearing in your inbox a maximum of 30 days) the little kid, I had met 1 month earlier, sent me a friend request.

I was in a "What the f*ck?" moment, me finding out someone who made offensive comments to a (pretend) girl would keep a message from one for a whole month and wanted to be friends. I didn't know how to react to that, so I ignored the request.

It's really these kinds of people that don't deserve to talk online. Maybe this is like you, maybe not. If you are like this, please don't abuse the fact that you can be offensive online and not have any consequences. Be honest with yourself.

Anyway, back to the question... Do you treat girl gamers the same?
This is how I normally blunder in those kind of things.

*Plays with a girl online, never sees her face*
*Becomes friends with them, and enjoys playing with her, becoming real close*
*Starts flirting*
*Get friend-zoned because she is either a lesbian or has a boyfriend*
*Disappears, to never come back*

I hate myself sometimes...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I honestly don't care about gender. I show everyone the same amount of respect. Which is in most cases no respect at all. Unless they earn it.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
Mallefunction said:
I am a girl gamer, but I have my PSN as a pretty unisex s/n and I only use a mic occasionally. I make a good mix of male and female characters and so far I've never been hit on. However, I have gotten hit on by guys in the local gamestop. That's about it ^^; Sorry, not very exciting, I know.
Good! I'm glad to hear you don't get subjected to a torrent of guys asking you out all the time as I've known female friends on there who get sick of a few persistent guys pestering them. You're very lucky in that respect :)

I'll treat a girl gamer with more respect than some of the guys, as the odds are they wont resort to childish attitudes (both in terms of being an in-game nuisance and abusive messages)

But this isn't every male gamer I've come across as I do know a few male friends online too (inb4 generalizing accusations ^_-)

From my personal experience they tend to be more patient, helpful, cooperative and stick together in co-op matches as a team. Though I did play through Resident Evil 5 with a friend and she did tend to hog all the items...it happens and I didn't/won't cry about it.

need4snacks

Aug 4, 2011
I put "Never Met One". While I have actually been in games with female gamers, I have never communicated with them on a level high enough to determine how I actually treat them.

In theory, probably no different from a male gamer.

Sep 30, 2010
I don't really use my mic for anything but talking with people I know or people they know, so anyone I run into I have no way of knowing If they are a girl or not. I do know six female gamers although:
One almost never plays
Two play exclusively on steam (I'm on my xbox more often then not) and I only know them from a two week game design course one summer (both are skilled though).
One is a somewhat obnoxious ex girlfriend of a friend of mine so we almost never talk
Another I don't seem to play with ever, but she is almost always talking to a friend of mine so if I want to talk to him I have to talk with her too.
The last one I play with semi-regularly and she plays a mean game of halo

So yeah the only girls I know that play games I can't really treat differently.

Well except for the one who almost never plays because I have to go at her speed. It's not a big deal though, we usually just play GTA cooperatively in free mode.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Project_Omega said:
*Plays with a girl online, never sees her face*
*Becomes friends with them, and enjoys playing with her, becoming real close*
*Starts flirting*
*Get friend-zoned because she is either a lesbian or has a boyfriend*
*Disappears, to never come back*

I hate myself sometimes...
I feel your pain, that happened to me twice. Except for the flirting stage, to embarrassed to flirt with a girl, even if it's just online. I would very much like to, but I'm not sure what she will say once I flirt, It might turn out like:

-"Hey, we've known each other for quite some time now, do you want to be like... girlfriend and boyfriend or something?"
-"You mean like, on Xbox LIVE?"
-"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea"
(Forever alone)

I can only wish for a girl to ask me out.
-Tries to hold cry in-

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I treat girl gamers the same as other gamers. That includes being a massive dick to gamers (female or otherwise) that are annoying as balls or trying to pull the race/gender card or otherwise interfering with my gaming.

Aerakade

Aug 15, 2008
I usually only talk to my friends (both genders) online. Other gamers are usually sexist, racist, homophobes (I play a lot of xbox- this is the reason). I've played with 'strange' females before and not really given them any grief but I did mute the kids on my team that kept yelling "make me a sandwhich"