Poll: Best 90's Cartoon?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Darkwing Duck made the list but DuckTales didn't? Really?

Out of the restrictive choices, definitely animaniacs. They make learning fun.

Tanis said:
And Black Sabbath is still a 'rock' band, just like The Beatles.
Yes. That's why when you take a history of rock class you will study both Black Sabbath and The Beatles. Because they are both rock, just like anime is a type of cartoon.

Tanis said:
It's like saying 'what's your favorite Sci-Fi movie' and putting Moon in with a poll that has Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, and Dune.
Star wars is Science Fantasy.
Star Trek is Science Fiction.

They are not all 'Sci-Fi' titles. They are all Speculative Fiction titles which is the name of the genre as a whole. Just like 'cartoon' is the name of a genre under which there are various sub-genres including anime.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Starik20X6 said:
Wait, this is actually a question? The goddamn Batman!

[sub]Pick another poll option. I dare you.[/sub]​

[small]Oh no. I'm being threatened by a billionaire dressed as a bat.[/small]​

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Pebkio said:
I stand by that claim... mostly because I added the "mostly" addendum. But even so: Ren and Stimpy, Batman, Gargoyles, Animaniacs; have you guys ever... gone back to watch all of the episodes now that you're not a kid? Sure, there are the occasional classics, but as a whole, they're kind of... terrible.
I'd almost be angry at you if I didn't feel sorry for you. I've gone back and watched quit a bit. I have, within the last 5 years, re-watched all of Gargoyles, X-Men, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Exosquad and aside from the animation being a bit dated all of those series hold up fine. I am currently in the process of re-watching Batman: The Animated Series and not only has the show has aged incredibly well but it has served as a reminder to me just how crap the soundtracks for more recent cartoons are.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
A Satanic Panda said:
Starik20X6 said:
Wait, this is actually a question? The goddamn Batman!

[sub]Pick another poll option. I dare you.[/sub]​

[small]Oh no. I'm being threatened by a billionaire dressed as a bat.[/small]​
I declare this the best comment on this thread.

Now I feel sorry for not fitting Daria somewhere in there.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Glad to see Batman winning, still don't know why it isn't 100% though.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I don't think that matters. It very much peaked in the 90's in terms of popularity(it was EVERYWHERE!) and alot would argue in terms of quality too...as you did.
I have season 4 and 8 on DVD. While 4 is enjoyable, Season 8 has to be the best. Seriously, My all-time favorite episode and like 5 of my top 10 episodes came out of that one season. 1)You Only Live Twice, 4)Homer Vs the 18th Amendment 5) The Springfield Files and 6)Bart After Dark, 7) Supercallafragilisticexpiala-Annoyed Grunt-cious... Okay, looking at an episode list, that isn't quite accurate, but my God...

Then there is my second favorite episode of all time, Season 3's "Homer at the Bat."
Number 3 comes from Season 9, Simpson Tide.

All during the 90's.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
war planet shadow raiders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXDH2NUYrgg
was and still is the best show ever

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Batman. I preferred Superman myself because I'll always prefer Superman to Batman, but Batman's contributions to pop culture are undeniable and all Superman did was ride the wave.

Captcha: all singing

I am all singing. I am all dancing.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Anything from cartoon network, Pokemon/Digimon and of course...

EDIT: After going through a heep of 90's cartoons...the award for best cartoon intro goes to

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Sonic SatAM

Dr. Robotnik has already taken over everything and all thats left is a band of freedom fighters. Characters died, others sacrificed themselves so others could go on all in all a nice dark cartoon from the usual happy based kids shows that were out in the 90s.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
I'm going out on a limb and say ALL OF THEM!

weither or not they was nothing to be learned form watching 90's cartoons back then if you look back at them now they had a messages they were trying to tell the viewer but they were cryptic

ex. In Rocko's Modern Life. Where was the restaurant they always hanged out?
A: Chokey Chicken
Now think....
Congrats you just unlocked a cryptic message about 90's childhood.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Animaniacs - check
Batman: TAS - check

No Freakazoid ? No Eek ? No Powerpuff Girls ? No Biker Mice from Mars ?

Z of the Na said:
Not one mention of Street Sharks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Sharks] in this entire thread.

I am very disappoint.
Hey, I remember that one. I used to have a Street Shark action figure when I was in kindergarten. Holy crap were those things heavy.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Holy Nostalgia! there were so many great 90s cartoons that I'm ashamed that half of them slipped my memory. I loved 90% of the shows mentioned here, even though some of them required mention for me to recall.

What's most frustrating about this thread is how long it took for someone to mention the Spiderman animated series at all. For my taste it was right up there with Batman, and it was the one I liked most of the two shows; although to be fair, as a kid you can't properly "get" Batman until you get into your teens and the angst and frustrated anger sets into your psyche.

X:Men was great, though I always felt that it too often got convoluted. Spiderman began to go that way in the late seasons aswell.

Recess and Hey Arnold! deserve mention in all this good company.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Tanis said:
Rawne1980 said:
Tanis said:
DBZ is an anime, not a cartoon.
Before someone comes in and laughs at you i'd like to point out the painfully obvious....
Anime are Japanese cartoons and computer animation. The word is the Japanese abbreviated pronunciation of "animation".
Anime IS a cartoon.
And Black Sabbath is still a 'rock' band, just like The Beatles.
;)
And manga is just a BnW comic book, but if you told that to DC/Marvel fans they'd freak out.

When it comes to the polling options, DBZ doesn't 'fit' with the rest of them.

It's like saying 'what's your favorite Sci-Fi movie' and putting Moon in with a poll that has Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, and Dune.

Sure, it's "Sci-Fi", but it's a different sub-genera.
It's still an animated series of images, making it a cartoon. Black Sabbath is just to the Beatles as to what Family Guy is to Steamboat Willie. (Though saying that, Helter Skelter is still heavy as hell today)

And yes, Manga is a comic book, which happens to come from Japan. Manga is just our western way of defining where it comes from. The only DC/Marvel fans who would freak out are on the same lines of people who would complain that DBZ isn't a cartoon.

OT: Gonna have to go with Batman because well, Batman.

But there were so many great 90s cartoons out there, Freakazoid, Pinky and the Brain, Mighty Max, Spiderman, Superman, X-men, Fantastic Four, Pokemon, Digimon (Seriously that show is so underrated sometimes) Hey Arnold, The Mask, Bucky O Hare, Ed Edd and Eddy, The Real Ghostbusters, Earthworm Jim, the list goes on.

The great thing is, is that a lot of these shows hold up today, having gone back and watched a lot of them. I'm sure some of them may be a little dodgy to watch, but they were all quality animation and really well done.