Poll: Best band ever!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
After years of consideration, I have narrowed the list of greatest rock band of all time down to two candidates. However; they are so completely different that they seem to be beyond compare, and as such I must resort to...
*Shudders*
...Popular opinion.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Zeconte said:
The Beatles, only people who come even close to their success is Elvis and Elton John. Sorry to disappoint.
While the Beatles have more total good songs and are certainly more successful, Rush and Queen reach much greater heights of quality per song, and the Beatle's reached much lower depths.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Of those two? Queen. Personally? Queens of the Stone Age. Josh Homme is a goddamn genius. I'd also include Them Crooked Vultures in this, since 2/3(4) members were qotsa.
The rhythm of 3s and 7s is a particular favorite of mine, the whole song goes back and forth between with the rhythym and directly opposite it in a way that took a few tries to follow.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
Pink Floyd? Led Zeppelin??

If I had to choose between the options you've provided I think the easy choice would be Rush.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Rush is by far the better of the two. That, and I'm tired of the internet dick riding Queen like they're the only band in existence.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
So generic Souplex, those are too obvious.

Personally, I'd be rooting for more along the lines of or maybe

But if we have to keep it classic and mainstream, and aren't bands, but they're the best.

EDIT: I suppose for a solid band, my vote would probably be cast for
There are apparently no good versions of 21st Century Schizoid Man on youtube :/

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Rush for me. If you're talking about individual members, I think Freddy Mercury is a unique talent all to his own and is something of a legend, but if you're talking as a complete band, it's Rush all the way.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Zeconte said:
The Beatles, only people who come even close to their success is Elvis and Elton John. Sorry to disappoint.
The Beatles are so incredibly overrated. Yes, they were crucial in cementing the genre. No, they're not even close to the best band ever.

I gotta go with Queen for this one. Never been a huge fan of Rush.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Trick poll question, it's Tenacious D.

Plebeians, the lot of you!

But seriously, out of those two I'd pick Rush. Little bit of an odd comparison though.

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
Freddie was certainly 1 of the greatest song writers and vocalists but as for band? It'd have to be 1 of these...

Led Zep
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
only heard of one those bands (queen but it's way before my time and more importantly their music isn't very good) I'd say the Ramones are the best band ever

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Out of those two, I'd say Rush as the guitar work is far more prominent. But really, you're not being very generous when inquiring about a "best band". If we're talking influential, old school rock/metal bands, I'd put Black Sabbath over either of them.

But then, my two favourite albums of all time were written by completely obscure bands only a handful of people know about. So perhaps my opinions toward massively successful rock bands should be taken with a grain of salt.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Zeconte said:
Success ≠ greatness. If it did, Justin Beiber and the Spice Girls would be right up there, and we all know they're shit!

As I've grown older, I've found that I quite like a few Beatles songs. For the most part though, they seem a bit lightweight.

Of the two choices offered, I'd vote for Queen, but I've only reached that decision due to never paying any attention to Rush, so there's no decision to be made. Brian May isn't an utterly amazing guitarist. I've often joked that his pedal-board has one setting, marked 'Queen'! I'm a Pink Floyd fan, and feel that they're one of only a few artists that have managed to create a perfect album (more than once too!), with no duds at all.

There can be no definitive answer, as it's all subjective. It's a good thing though, as all this variety has made for an awesome and varied collection of music for me to listen to.

EDIT: Sorry OP, I skewed your poll results by selecting 'I hate music'. I don't really, but you didn't put an option in there for 'Bacon'.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Sorry but the best band ever is and will always be The Beatles. At least to me.
Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones come pretty close too.
Queen is one of the greatest bands, no question about it, but it's hardly the best band ever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Between Rush and Queen... Radiohead.

Honestly, I'm not even familiar with Rush, but from those three examples their music sounds very samey.