Poll: Best band ever!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Souplex said:
Zeconte said:
The Beatles, only people who come even close to their success is Elvis and Elton John. Sorry to disappoint.
While the Beatles have more total good songs and are certainly more successful, Rush and Queen reach much greater heights of quality per song, and the Beatle's reached much lower depths.
That's one of my three favorite Beatles songs, so each to their own, I guess. Play it backwards and read up on the "Paul is Dead" conspiracy. I don't buy into the conspiracy but the connections are remarkable in their way.

Bonus points if you listen to it backwards while alone in a pitch-black room. ;)

But yes, I wouldn't pick Rush or Queen. I'm more into Harry Nilsson, Babes in Toyland, The Beatles, The Who, Nirvana, King Crimson, The Doors, and The Hollies (actually, The Hollies before Graham Nash quit the band).

Oh yeah - and '70s UK punk. I'd take that any day over Rush or Queen!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Out of those two, they're both pretty terrible, but Queen gets my vote simply for the camp, so-bad-it's-good, awesome, niche value. Because. Queen. Is that. Awesome.

Also, where in the hell is Lazy Town? It's not a band, but it should still count, because Lazy Town.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Never listened to either of them so I'm going with Avenged Sevenfold, I own all their CDs and listen to them regularly.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Never listened to either of them so I'm going with Avenged Sevenfold, I own all their CDs and listen to them regularly.
I genuinely hope you're kidding. For your sake.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I notice a disturbing lack of Kinks in this thread. Honestly, I would never name Queen as best band ever and I haven't even heard of Rush. God save the Kinks!

If David Bowie says there isn't a Kinks song he dislikes, you'd better listen, son!

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Well damn. I've been forced to decide between "I hate music" and "Queen" on the poll...Guess it'll have to be "I hate music" so I can at least be truthful. I've heard of Queen, I've heard a few of songs, but I don't actively pursue or like them. Never heard of Rush before. I'm also not much of a rock music fan these days...yeah.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
I notice a disturbing lack of Kinks in this thread. Honestly, I would never name Queen as best band ever and I haven't even heard of Rush. God save the Kinks!

If David Bowie says there isn't a Kinks song he dislikes, you'd better listen, son!
How have you not heard of Rush? Do you live under a rock or something?

Also, my dad would be very disappointed in this entire thread, because Rush is the greatest band ever to him.

GundamSentinel

Aug 23, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Hardly, Rush just never was a thing in my country. A radio station here publishes an immensely popular Top 2000 of all times every december. You know the highest spot Rush has on it? Nothing. It wasn't even on there last year.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Hardly, Rush just never was a thing in my country. A radio station here publishes an immensely popular Top 2000 of all times every december. You know the highest spot Rush has on it? Nothing. It wasn't even on there last year.
Your radio station needs to get their shit together son.

Ten Foot Bunny

Mar 19, 2014
GundamSentinel said:
OMG, you're right!! :D How could we forget the Village Green Preservation Society? Or is it the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliates? The Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular?

Oh, who cares. I've got a girl who's oh-so fine, I got everything. ;)

God save The Kinks!

GundamSentinel

Aug 23, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
GundamSentinel said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Your radio station needs to get their shit together son.
More like the country needs to get their shit together. That was the result of 3.3 million votes.

Just face it, entire countries don't give a shit about Rush. :D

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Babes in Toyland
Babes in Toyland for best band ever?

Come on, I love all-girl grunge bands as much as the next person but they're hardly up there with The Beatles and The Who.

You sure you're not just trying to name-drop? :p

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
or maybe
That's my vote... (Then again, they're not really "rock" so it wouldn't count)

But out of the two, if I've heard anything from Rush, I wouldn't know it was them...
So, I suppose Queen...

yay process of elimination

Ten Foot Bunny

Mar 19, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Babes in Toyland
Babes in Toyland for best band ever?

Come on, I love all-girl grunge bands as much as the next person but they're hardly up there with The Beatles and The Who.

You sure you're not just trying to name-drop? :p
No, seriously! After all these years, I still listen to Fontanelle several times a month. All-girl grunge bands are one of my favorite types of music and Babes in Toyland are my favorite of them all. ;)

But in my collection, the band I have the most of is The Who. About 300 LPs, CDs, EPs, 7" singles, and I even have all of their autographs, including Keith Moon. Second place is The Beatles. Then Siouxsie and the Banshees. Then The Kinks. Then Blur. Then Saint Etienne. The waters muddy after that.

To me, music doesn't exist in a hierarchy. I like what I like, and I'd most certainly put bands like the Buzzcocks, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and, yes, Babes in Toyland, in the same boat as The Beatles and The Who.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
At this point in time, Queen is winning by majority (>50%), while Rush is in third place, slightly behind "I hate music". Seems appropriate.

...Although I'd vote for Within Temptation.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Ieyke said:
Xan Krieger said:
I genuinely hope you're kidding. For your sake.
Why would I be kidding? I was 100% serious. I've heard of both bands, just never listened to them.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
How convenient that when I come in here to see what people are saying, one of the two options in my poll is my favourite band of all time. So yeah, Rush all the way for me.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
How did you get it down to Rush and Queen?

There's no such thing as 'best band ever'. But if I had to rate the most influential bands (as opposed to solo artists), I would go with (in no particular order):
-Louis Armstrong's Hot Five
-Duke Ellington's Orchestra
-The Beatles
-The Rolling Stones
-The Velvet Underground
-The Beach Boys
-Bob Marley and The Wailers
-The Supremes
-Led Zeppelin
-Run-DMC

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Benpasko said:
Of those two? Queen. Personally? Queens of the Stone Age. Josh Homme is a goddamn genius. I'd also include Them Crooked Vultures in this, since 2/3(4) members were qotsa.
I like you.

My nr.1, on par with QotSA, is Radiohead. Anyone who disagrees is deaf or in denial.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
But joking aside, I'm curious as to what you mean specifically by more prominent.
Mostly the riffs. I'm a riff man, that's the most important aspect of rock/metal for me. Everything else comes and evolves around the guitar work. Solos are cool, but the riffs are essential. When it comes to Queen, I don't think I've ever really heard a truly standout riff. I'm not a big fan of Rush either, but the riffing is just on a much higher quality. Certainly no Tony Iommi of course, but still.