Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
I think the first one I played was VI in some forgotten part of my childhood. The one that really sticks out through nostalgia is VII, I used to love to play that game with my brother..

But niether is the best in my opinion. List as follows:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy IV (DS-version)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2
Final Fantasy X-2 (Don't hit me!)

I guess I'm pretty alone in thinking that the Crystal Chronicles-series is better than the original series, or even in having played it. And X-2 well, SHUT UP! It's fun!

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Well, I've played (or at least tried to play) FFVI, FFVIII, FFIX and FFX. And out of all those, Final Fantasy X is the one that stuck with me. I like the story, I like the characters, I like the music, I like the voiceacting (yes, even the infamous "HA HA HA"-scene. It is MEANT to be awkward!), and it is the game I've gotten the furthest in before drifting of to do something else.

I should probably boot it up so I can finally defeat Sin once and for all...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Maxtro said:
The way these threads go, it always breaks down into what gen the person played their first FF game.

If they started with the SNES they will claim VI.
If they started with the PSX they will claim VII
If they started with the PS2 they will claim X.
If they started with the PS3 they will claim XII (the poor souls)
Nope, I started with 1 on the NES. Loved that game back in the day. Wasn't free like Dragon Warrior, but it was a superior version as well. Started long before the PS, but my favorite is VIII. 7 and 8's days were in my college years, and I really didn't have time for all of the grind. VII REQUIRED hours of grind I couldn't give it. VIII was the perfect solution. Once you drew up to 100, you were done with that spell forever. With many spells, I did that in 1 encounter. It was a beefy game that actually limited grind. Good for me at the time (and to this day as I am employed.)

Nothing wrong with folks who perfered the grindy ones. Some people just like that kind of thing I suppose. MMO's have fans and they are ALL grind and no payoff.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
VIII is my favorite, followed by IX. I lost interest after X. Possibly due to over zealous fanboyism towards everything VII related.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
loc978 said:
Damn whipper-snappers... I started with the first game in 1988...

But yeah, the series peaked at VI. The plots started losing cohesion in favor of pure spectacle in the PS1 era, and have only gone further in that direction since.

So I guess my rankings go
VI
IV
VII
V
I
IX
VIII
III
II
...the rest [http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/255016/tidus-laugh.gif].
Everytime I see this, I bring this up:

WATCH IT IN JAPANESE. IT IS WORSE. THE SCENE IS SUPPOSED TO FORCED AND AWKWARD AS HELL.

Eeesh, context people, context.
I actually got that from the english dub as well. I get that
he's not human, or even there at all
what I don't get is why... anything... in that storyline. It moves from setpiece to setpiece, showing off the PS2's (impressive for its time) rendering power with only the thinnest excuse for a plot to add context.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
FF6 has always come across as the most polished of the series although I'm going with FF4 here. I think FF4, including the more recent After Years expansion / DLC is easily my favorite title out of the whole series. In short it was just a lot of fun to play. I enjoyed the story and meeting all of the different characters as well as exploring the world aboard a high tech airship. It had this neat 'high fantasy' feel to it, along with a solid soundtrack. I included two of my favorite soundtracks below. Enjoy :)

My second favorite though would have to be FF X. I don't care what anyone says on this one, I felt the story was genuinely moving.. and a bit tragic, bad voice acting and all. :3

Also, if anyone was wondering, I had a Nintendo and the original FF1 way back when it was new. I've tried to play all of them, time permitting, including the Gameboy titles, FF Legend 1-3 and Adventure (which was pretty fun actually).

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I haven't played the SNES games (an Android port would change that, Square-Enix!), so my vote is IX, followed by VII, XII and Tactics. I think some of the negativity XII catches is crossfire from people who hated X and XIII and never actually played it. The game itself is actually excellent, much better than any of the Final Fantasy games from (or since) the PS2 era, and definitely better than VIII. That's just my humble and insignificant opinion, but it's also objective fact.

There's a certain style that appears in VIII, returns in X and completely absorbs the series in XIII and its sequel that really turns me off. Everything's highly stylized and empty. The stories are extremely focused on a couple of characters to the detriment of everything else, and those characters are just as horrible and boring as the rest of them.

On the plus side, the one thing they can never seem to screw up is the music.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Final Fantasy VI is like my Lord of the Rings. As much as I love other stand outs in the series like IX and IV, and have played more FFXI than any other game in my life and absolutely love FFXII.. No game has ever impacted me like Final Fantasy VI. So many great characters, each with deep and engaging stories together in an ever deeper and more engaging overarching narrative. Just thinking about Kefka's laugh can give me chills.

I still play it every summer. I hope Square never gets it in their head to remake it. They'll never improve on it.

(Though, if they were to do so, I'd happily ignore it if I weren't happy with the result)

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I'm going to cheat, my favourite for the PS1 would be a tie between 8 and 9, and for the ps2 it would have to be 10. Finally for the 360 it would have to be 11.

P.S i voted for 8.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
My favourite is probably XIII because it's the only one I've ever managed to completely finish. I also like most of the characters and the story and stuff. But then I am a bit simple so the deeper themes of the other games probably go over my head.

As for the games in the poll, it's a toss up between VII and X. I probably preferred X overall (pretty much because Auron), but VII doesn't have as many bosses that instantly spring to mind as soon as the game is mentioned that are so difficult that I don't want to play it ever again.
Gosh darn Mt. Gagazet.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
2 actually is my favourite, and I roll it out every now and again on an emulator. But of the choices you gave 8 by far.

DelinquentTurtle

Mar 3, 2012
It's all about FFIX for me. The characters, story, music and art style was just a perfect mix. I play it over and over again close to once every two years or so since release to relive what was one of my most amazing gaming experiences.

FFX is also very underrated in my opinion for its characters and story (the end was very well done.. damn FFX-2 retconned it) and the only weak link for the game imo was its combat/level up system where the sphere grid allowed you to become damn near invincible with sufficient investment of time the only challenge really being Penance.

I'm sorta intrigued about FFVI now with the glowing reviews you guys are giving it. Any specific port or version of it you would recommend for me to play?

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
FFIX. FFVII may have been my first game of the series, and I have played all the FF games, but IX really moved me. It had a really nice combination of light-heartedness and "shit just got real" that melded really well together. Its character ensemble (except Amarant. Seriously, fuck that guy. And you know what? I think he was a parody of all the worst traits of the Squalls and Clouds out there) was one of the most colorful, memorable ensembles of any of the games, the Active Time Event system was a really nice touch, its world map was one of the most expansive and interactive maps of any RPG I'd played in that era (and this was before X and up decided FF games didn't need world maps...), Tetra Master was addictive as hell and fixed a LOT of the problems that came from Triple Triad, and quite frankly... it's rare that ANY game so clearly reflects all the love and celebration of a franchise that IX did. IX moved me so much that I think a lot of my disappointment from X and up (aside from them being mediocre at best) stems from how poorly they compare to IX.

Purists won't acknowledge IX because they feel the series died at VII, and newcomers won't acknowledge IX because "lolanimugrafix," but it really was an ambitious project with a lot of emotional ups and downs, a main character who could truly call himself a hero, and it will always be the one I remember most.

Also, I'll be damned if you didn't enjoy Chocobo Hot and Cold. DAMNED, I say!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'd have to say XIII. Mainly because, despite plenty of years as a gamer, the only three FF games I've played are XII, XIII and XIII-2. And as much as I love Balthier's voice, I can let Gideon Emery tongue my earholes in Dragon Age 2 with the exact same voice, because my love for Balthier does not trump my hate for Vaan.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
My ranking goes...
VI
VII
T
IV
V

Granted... VIII was the last one I played, so I've still yet to experience the glory that is IX. Something I've been meaning to do for a while. My nostalgia for VI is prolly too strong for it to ever be dethroned, though. I absolutely adore that game: I still replay it start to finish every couple years, and I love it even more every time. If it's not my fave game of all time, it's at least in my top 3.