Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Drake666 said:
What do you like about 8 ? (really curious, it's rare to see someone who likes it)

I mean, the idea of being a from a school of mercenary is pretty good... but the setting and weaponry are weird. I like the time compression thing at the end, but the rest is so out there. There's missiles and explosive... so why not use them against the sorceress ? Why does Seiffer turns evil :S (I mean, he was a douche, but come on!) ? The GF causes amnesia is also pretty lame. The weapon creation system is bad and the magic drawing is a time killer (or an obligation to play cards OR to transform creature into cards OR to transform items into magic which is weird... why not sell magic while you're there ?).

But, still, I love the fact that they show us playable flashback (I know they're supposed to be "time travel experiment" by Elise, but I prefer to call them flash back ;)), I love the GFs (their design and their powers) and I find the sorceress character interesting. However, those little good points are not enough to make a good game (I think). Did I miss something ?
Can't really explain it to be honest, I've always loved it, it was the one which introduced me to the series. Guess you could say it's nostalgia but i still replay 8, 9 and 10 every now and then, sometimes i will attempt 7 but I've never truly got into that one (unlike just about everyone else). I would have voted for XI if it was on the poll as i spent a good few years on that game.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
loc978 said:
Damn whipper-snappers... I started with the first game in 1988...

But yeah, the series peaked at VI. The plots started losing cohesion in favor of pure spectacle in the PS1 era, and have only gone further in that direction since.

So I guess my rankings go
VI
IV
VII
V
I
IX
VIII
III
II
...the rest [http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/255016/tidus-laugh.gif].
You. I like you. I also agree with your opinions on the series, as a fellow old fart. I might shift the exact rankings around a bit, but same general idea for the same reasons. I only finished X out of spite and because I'd already played all the other games in the house and my laptop was being repaired under warranty that week, and it was enough to turn me off from the series entirely ever since. It's a shame, because they used to be so much fun.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'll go with IX.

The only others I've played are:

XIII: Awful because of Hope, and the paradigm system.
XII: Why the hell is Vaan the main character?
X: Awful because of Tidus.
VIII: Awful because of the draw system. Also Squall is a whiny *****.

I liked VII, but not as much as VI or IX. I got V coming in the post, so I might end up with a new favourite.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Why does XII continue to get a bad wrap? The story is actually well done with quite a bit of intrigue that kept me playing through many long hours. Vaan is not a traditional main character either, since he is not the focus of the story. He is just a normal person being dragged through unusual circumstances unintentionally. It would be like if one of us got thrown into such an insane adventure, and I can appreciate that since NOTHING would ever be explained if he wasn't their to ask questions on what everything is. If he wasn't there, details would be murky since everyone else already knows all the details. The story belongs to Ashe, Balthier, and Basch, all of which have demons they have to face across the adventure. Also, we had some of the most compelling villains in this game.

Anyway, the best one is VI. No questions asked. When you have the best story, characters, and game play, you win hands down. But I can order everything in my view from best to worst in the main series.

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy IX (Better story than VII, but the game play is not as good IMO)
4. Final Fantasy XII (Sorry fan boys, the game is very good despite some game play flaws.)
5. Final Fantasy IV (The story has too many holes for me to get around)
6. Final Fantasy V
7. Final Fantasy II (The story is actually decent all things considered, but the game play... oh lord.)
8. Final Fantasy III
9. Final Fantasy I
10. Final Fantasy X (The only thing keeping this up this high is fun game play mechanics. Overrated as hell.)
11. Final Fantasy XIII (Did anything happen and should I give a damn? Oh, and Hope exists, who is THE worst character.)
12. Final Fantasy VIII (The worst story, game play, and some of the worst characters in the series.)

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
TOP 5:

5: I
4: IV
3: X
2: IX
1: VI

YES, I PUT 1 on number 5! I LIKED THE FINAL BOSS THEME IN THE ANNIVERSARY!

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Crisis core. Fuck the system. I just love the combat style, the fact it isn't a lazy prequel story wise and the side missions.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I'd have to say I have never played a better game than FF IX. And I played it for the first time less than 2 years ago, so I'm not nostalgia blinded. It looks gorgeous, the characters were out of this world and the story was amazing. The only downside is the slow paced combat, but at least there the amazing music kept the ball rolling.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
To answer this I first asked myself which, if any, of the FF games that I've played (V, VI, VII, IX, XII, Tactics) would I consider playing again. Out of those the only ones I could genuinely seeing myself replaying where IX and Tactics.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Bear In Heaven said:
Final Fantasy IX was always my favourite. I remember back in my internet novice days lurking on various vidya game sites such as Gamespot and GameFAQS, FFIX was universally (save for the regulars on the game's GameFAQS forum) reviled as the one of the most disappointing of the main series and FFVII was universally heralded as the epitome of vidya games. Fast foward about a decade (I'm old, I know!) and it's esentially reversed. FFIX is the bee's knees and FFVII is overrated. But if everyone thinks FFVII is overrated, then who actually over rates it?[SNIP]
I think most people who rate FFVII as "God's Gift to Gaming" on a scale from one to five, do so because of what the game meant to the world of gaming upon release, rather than how it stands on its own. (One should keep in mind that the best-looking JRPG up to that point came on a chunky cartridge rather than three discs, and didn't look very different from LoZ: A Link to the Past.)

While it IS a great game in its own right, its hour of glory is over and people who play (and review) it in 2013 tend to just see some blocky graphics and obsolete gameplay rather than the revolution it was back in 1997. Certainly, those who give it a chance will still find a deep and immersive storyline, but anyone who goes in expecting an experience worthy of the rabid fanboyism which to this day remains the norm amongst the veteran crowd is bound to come away disappointed.

FFIX, on the other hand, was nothing really fancy when it came out - except, of course, for the usual "New Final Fantasy Game" buzz which was still a really big deal at the time. It was just another instalment in Square's flagship series. It did its job, it did it well, but sales initially suffered due to disappointment over its more "primitive" style as opposed to the increasingly sci-fi'y feel which, even then, was a FF tradition. Ironically, this may very well be exactly why IX is the more popular game today: No absurd expectations!

Personally, I think that the refreshingly low-tech fantasy setting, with its glorious green forests, steampunk-y airships and generally upbeat feel, may also be a contributing factor.

On topic: Even though FFVII was my first FF game, and even though it blew my mind, FFIX has been my favourite FF game since the day it came out. (Literally - I actually DID buy it the day it came out!)

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Maxtro said:
The way these threads go, it always breaks down into what gen the person played their first FF game.

If they started with the SNES they will claim VI.
If they started with the PSX they will claim VII
If they started with the PS2 they will claim X.
If they started with the PS3 they will claim XII (the poor souls)

For me, the best one is VI. It's just an amazing game. But it was also my first FF game so I that does boost it up a bit more.
Little hole in your theory... I played in this order (Not counting very miniscule time in IISNES and IX before buying any):

I & II Dawn of Souls
XII
X
Anthology (V&VI)
IV Advance
TA
V Advance
VII
VI Advance
IX
VIII
T
Etc, etc.

My favourite is VI. Am I an exception?

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Add all of the titles if you make a poll pertaining to an entire series again. There will always be someone who likes one of the ones you don't include, this is the internet after all.

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
Cheesepower5 said:
Maxtro said:
Little hole in your theory... I played in this order (Not counting very miniscule time in IISNES and IX before buying any):

I & II Dawn of Souls
XII
X
Anthology (V&VI)
IV Advance
TA
V Advance
VII
VI Advance
IX
VIII
T
Etc, etc.

My favourite is VI. Am I an exception?
No. That theory is wrong. I don't know why people think this. Maybe there is quite a few who like the one they started with, but then there's a lot of people who like the first of whatever series they played. Played since 1 on NES, Top 3 are VI, IX and IV.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Dash85 said:
Cheesepower5 said:
No. That theory is wrong. I don't know why people think this. Maybe there is quite a few who like the one they started with, but then there's a lot of people who like the first of whatever series they played. Played since 1 on NES, Top 3 are VI, IX and IV.
Ah good, I guess that means I'm normal. In the interest of keeping so, I will conform and post a ranking list:

1. VI
2. Tactics
3. IX
4. X
5. Tactics A2
6. Crisis Core
7. XII
8. Tactics Advanced
9. IV DS
10. V
11. VII
12. Any other version of IV
13. I
14. X-2
15. VIII
16. III
17. II
18. Mystic Quest
19. XIII

9001: Dirge of Cerberus

Everything else you can either assume I haven't played, forgot about or didn't really get a chance to form a lasting opinion of. I am not counting Adventure or Legend I/II/III (Secret of Mana 0 and SaGa 1-3.)

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Of all the main Final Fantasies I've played (including the ones not in the poll), this is my ranking:
IX
VII
X
VI
VIII
XIII
XII
TA
IV
I
X-2

I'm assuming IV, not V, is the one with Cecil.

VI would have been my second highest, if not highest if it weren't for the fact it has SNES era graphics. It's just hard for me be get immersed when this is as intense as the game can get:

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
The lack of love for Tactics makes me weep. Tactics is in all likelihood my favorite video game of all time. It's the only Final Fantasy I've ever beaten more than once. The Cloud and Aeris cameos are especially heartwarming for Cleris fangirl like myself. Otherwise I've had the most enjoyment out of VII and X. Aeris and Auron are my favorite FF characters and have developed into a crack! pair of mine.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Bear In Heaven said:
Yes, even Ramza's crotch piece armour is genius.
I have to say, that made me smile. So thank you. On that note, I'mma boot up my PSX Emulator and play me some Tactics. Booyah.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Maxtro said:
The way these threads go, it always breaks down into what gen the person played their first FF game.

If they started with the SNES they will claim VI.
If they started with the PSX they will claim VII
If they started with the PS2 they will claim X.
If they started with the PS3 they will claim XII (the poor souls)
Gotta say when I first started reading I was ready to troll, but DAMN son you're right I started on PS so guess which is my favorite? (psst its on your list.)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't like many FFs probably because I got introduced to the series 'late'

Tactics is by far my most played FF title, it's very solid, has a fun story, is easily the most repayable given the variety of options in team composition.
However the War of the Lions 'redo' was just terrible ruining the battles, messing with the music and adding characters that really don't fit in a visual standpoint and just worthless new classes.

VII is my first FF and it's got a lot going for me, the setting the art direction and style, music, yadda yaddah. It's just a damn good game. I don't like how Cloud magically became a depressed emo after the game but whatever.

VI I have a hard getting into, that is a whole 'nother explanation mostly involving Phantasy Star IV to blame.

V I only played part way through and that was ages ago on the PSOne.

I just got IV: Complete on the PSN sale, so I'll be trying that next.

VII: Crisis Core was pretty good but I didn't like the added characters into the plot or trying to make the Buster Sword something special when it's just a slab of metal. Also Genesis, what a unfitting character.