Poll: Body modifications?

MardukGKoB

Aug 11, 2010
None for me, thank you. But I do try to keep convincing other people that they should get an eye tattooed on the end of their tongue. Imagine the look on a persons face if while they are talking to you, you poke your tongue out a bit, swivel it side to side, then pull it back in.

By the way, I don't really recommend getting a tattoo on your tongue - it would be difficult, extremely painful, very bloody and possibly damaging to your sense of taste. Maybe some kind of prosthesis for occasional use would be better, with some kind of adhesive to stick it to the end of your tongue temporarily.

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Lethos said:
Just so you know, that's katakana not kanji :p
Naitomea (what you have in katakana on your arm) is still used in Japanese, but the native Japanese word for nightmare is akumu. Akumu is the one that would be in kanji.
Thanks for the info, been a long time since I've really been that deep into my Japanese language, those tats are 6-7 years old x)

And Nightmare/Naitomea is a band name, so yeah it's slightly different, but still comes across as the same.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I don't have any yet but when I turn 21, I fully intend to get a tattoo on my forearm instead of my first drink. Not yet decided on what my tattoo is going to be but I want it to symbolize something and not just be some random thing on my arm that I thought looked cool.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
No intentional body modification, but several hockey fight knuckle scars. I used to be a goon :)

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
As I said in an earlier post, here are my two memorial-tattoos:

The first one I got, a memorial over a friend that died 7 years ago. Poor bastard got into trouble with the wrong people. He was found in his stairwell one morning, he died on the way to the hospital.. This tattoo is a replica of the last thing he gave me, the night before he died he gave me a drawing he had made; a fetus and the text "Remember we're just kids".
The tattoo is old and needs to be re-touched, but I'm very fond of it.

Picture taken just minutes ago.

The second one is.. Very hard to talk about for me. It was made this spring, as a memory to my best friend. She died in cancer almost a year ago, and I still have a hard time coping with the fact that she's no longer with me. The rose is by her design, with a slight twist. Points to anyone who can find the three hidden themes of our companionship.

Picture was taken within minutes of it being finished, hence the swelling.

Satocreed

Oct 26, 2009
I want a tattoo really badly. However, due to an allergy to certain types of food and other such dyes, I probably wont be able to get one.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Satocreed said:
I want a tattoo really badly. However, due to an allergy to certain types of food and other such dyes, I probably wont be able to get one.
Many dyes (especially different red ones) can give allergic reactions even if it can take years for it to occur. There are options however.
If I've done my research correctly there are many tattoo-dyes that are hypo-allergenic, as I've already said though, red dyes are not among them. No manufacturers have been able to produce any hypo-allergenic red dyes.
So you should be safe to go, if you have doubts then a simple test should answer that: have your tattoo-artist put a little blob of dye on your forearm, if after 24 hours you have no irritation or swelling, then you are fine to go!
You should note though that many dyes contains metals, most notably nickel. If you have allergies towards that you should watch-out though.

Viirin

Jul 30, 2011
JokerCrowe said:
[snip]
Thanks for the explanation/clarification/warning. :)

I've thought about pretty much all of those things, and the only one I really think will be a problem might be the ramafications.
I was thinking about getting a tribal tatoo that covers my entire arm and goes shoulder and goes up a bit on my neck and down a bit on my chest and back.
I am also thinking about becoming a teacher... the two things might not combine so well. :p

Also my little sister has been taught by my step mother that everyone with tatoos is a criminal, and I'm an effing SUPERHERO in her eyes. So that is really why I'm a bit hesitant to actually go through with it.
My little sister used to look up to me too. All my cousins did, too. But that was years ago, as people grow and age they usually don't keep the same idols. Here's a biased statement, a history lesson, and a non-biased question for you:

Bias: Thinking of everyone with a tattoo as a criminal is pretty stereotypical and helps no one, it only makes you think lowly of someone who probably doesn't deserve it; ergo you cannot have as many or as varied a group of friends.

History: Tattoos originally (according the the prehistoric man's frozen corpse) were not used as decoration, but for medicinal purposes. Later on they became tribal markings, so people could tell who was from what tribe, or even their positions within their tribe. My little sister has tattoos (more than me) but they are commemorative. Her best friend died in a car accident, so his name is written with a 'rest in peace' banner on her shoulder. She isn't a criminal, she just misses her friend. Her daughter's name is written on her calf, in the middle of a rose (my mom, sister, and niece's middle name is Rose). Plus, the ratio of 'people with tattoos' and 'how many of them are criminals with or without a record' is pretty low.

Question: Eventually, your little sister won't look at you as a superhero. It's not a guarantee, but close enough. Now the question is, do you want to let it happen as it will happen naturally, or help your sister in the process, by getting a tattoo and removing an illusion from her mind- one that everyone with tattoos is a bad guy?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, no. I think it's all pretty much ridiculous.

About the only thing I'd have done is a tattoo in the shape of the Horde symbol. Yes I know it's from a game and is massively sad, but come on, I've been playing it for what, seven years now? When they finally turn off the servers I want souvenirs.
And since it's not looking likely that one of those souvenirs will be a girlfriend...

McKay

Jul 25, 2008
I have three dermals on my chest, one on the back of my neck, an industrial in each ear, vertical labret, snake bites (two sets), septum and I'm currently starting to stretch my lobes.

As for tattoos I have two. A FFX style (slightly modified version of the symbol Jecht has on his chest) and the word STILL ALIVE with a heart outline beneath (both a Portal reference and a personal reminder)

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Gulleko said:
When I find someone who can make a good picture of a Hell Bovine for me, I'll tattoo one on my shoulder. :)

Anyone here good at drawing that can make a hi-res one?
Get someone to draw it and I'll convert it to vector for you.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
tokae said:
MassiveGeek said:
Anyway, I just got my first facial piercing ever, a septum. I don't plan on getting any other facial piercings for the moment, though I do want a tattoo right below my neck eventually.

That septum piercing fits you really well actually, ever thought of a Medusa? Looks like it would be very pretty on you.
Thank you very much!

Yes, I have actually, as well as a labret and tongue piercing. :p But I'm settling for a septum right now, since it's easy to hide and won't have a chance of ruining my teeth.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Mosesj said:
MassiveGeek said:
Been a while since I made a thread on here(and this has probably been made before but lol whatevs).

Anyway, I just got my first facial piercing ever, a septum. I don't plan on getting any other facial piercings for the moment, though I do want a tattoo right below my neck eventually.

So, Escapians, do you have any body modifications? Piercings, tattoos, whatever? Why/why not? And could you show the rest of us? :)

Here's mine:

looks pretty cool.

hmm, I'm going to have to get glasses, and I have a lot of scars on me. I'll get a tatoo one day
Thanks!
Get glasses, get a tattoo! :D

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
tokae said:
As I said in an earlier post, here are my two memorial-tattoos:

The first one I got, a memorial over a friend that died 7 years ago. Poor bastard got into trouble with the wrong people. He was found in his stairwell one morning, he died on the way to the hospital.. This tattoo is a replica of the last thing he gave me, the night before he died he gave me a drawing he had made; a fetus and the text "Remember we're just kids".
The tattoo is old and needs to be re-touched, but I'm very fond of it.

Picture taken just minutes ago.

The second one is.. Very hard to talk about for me. It was made this spring, as a memory to my best friend. She died in cancer almost a year ago, and I still have a hard time coping with the fact that she's no longer with me. The rose is by her design, with a slight twist. Points to anyone who can find the three hidden themes of our companionship.

Picture was taken within minutes of it being finished, hence the swelling.
I really appreciate you sharing something so meaningful with us. :)

They're both great!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
MorphingDragon said:
Still waiting for the day where I can slowly replace my body parts with mechanical variants.
Same here...

Octogunspunk said:
None. Not a fan of bodymodding, I don't get why people do. I'd love to get an animated l'cie brand when organic circuitry allows though. :D
And this would be pretty tight, however I wouldn't be crazy and put it probably on my back, just so I can wear a shirt A-OK.