Poll: Can England be invaded

Datalord

Oct 9, 2008
AS history has shown, England is NOT the strongest power in the world. You could invade, but seriously, what would you gain? A few islands, bad food, and a hilarious british accent?

stormyfs

Sep 15, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
It's 28 million available for military service, 23 million of which are battle fit.
Works for the Russians and Chinese, why not the Brits, eh?
Would you trust even 50% of the abject rookies that you'd be entrusting your life to? Not to mention the clusterfuck that would happen if their weapon jammed. Like I said before, enthusiasm cannot replace body armour or anti-tank weaponry, and considering that armour can be dropped out the back of aircraft, the same aircraft that can very easily reach the UK from the mainland US (for example, pick Australia if you want to use a couple more in-flight refuels) and landing that armour on the beaches doesn't seem like such a problem, does it?

The laser guns were actually a joke. I won't respond to the Spitfires and Hurricanes part because again, I don't want to turn this into a WW2 thread.
I know, but they promised us lasers in all the TV shows :'(

There are hardly lots of beaches for landing on, in fact there are only a handful, of which would be heavily guarded. The rest of Britains coasts are pretty much impossible to launch a full scale invasion on.
See above reference to airdrops. Plus any heavy defences can easily be nullified by bombardment, infiltration and collaboration.
I'd love to be able to stand up and say that Britain is impregnable, but it isn't.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Probably, it's mainly flat land with a few hills here and there, but hey, we know it better than everyone else and we have the SAS and military expertise on par with the US. Who knows? If the shit hits the fan we'd probably start launching nukes anyway.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
sooperman said:
Trivun said:
-snip-

Schmee said:
England can be invaded, and has been a couple times. I'm fine in Scotland, so far unconquered, and since we werent included in the "invulnerable" statment then uhm, we could just walk over the border, invasion commences.
By the way, England hasn't been successfully invaded since 1066. Since then, the English have beaten the Scottish in several wars and it was only the rise of the Stuart monarchy that finally united the two countries. Hence your comment is historically BS. Sorry, but any history textbook will support my statement over yours.
I agree with you about UK invading US and vise versa, but I'm pretty sure that U.S. Armed Forces have first-hand experience with U.S. military training, as well. And as a legitimate question, does the UK military have the newer guns, like you see on Discovery Channel?
Yes, we do. We happen to have some of the newest and most advanced weapons technology around, although that said I'll admit the US has more of that technology, we aren't exactly far behind. In fact we come very very close. And you forget back in all the major wars of the last century it was Britain who devised most of the newer technology the Allied forces were using in battle, some adapted from Axis technology admittedly, but still mainly developed by British munitions factories and laboratories...

Ventuquies

May 7, 2009
I think actually, also adressed to the typical arrogance of America(ns), small countries are much more difficult to control and conquer. Why? Because people from small countries often feel more close to their nationality and their country, its easier to manage the military and to keep an eye over anything and small countries normally have well knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses. Also, many smaller countries have actually strategic advantages due to their location or geopraphy, also England.. I think: when you attack America, its easy to just get into any border and once you are really inside the country, its much harder to stop you. With a small country however, you have to first crack through the hard shell...

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Zombie Badger said:
The only uninvadeable countries are Russia and Canada. Napoleon and Hitler got the shit kicked out of them trying to invade Russia, and when the US attacked Canada in the War of 1812, they lost and the Canadians burned down the White House.
You forgot Greenland. It's 836,000 sq mi of ice and snow. I doubt anyone even wants to invade that.

r4ndom

Aug 24, 2008
Wales would get stuck in and help England, as would Scotland.

So no, you wouldn't be able to take this island

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
TheMODS1990 said:
Trivun said:
sooperman said:
Trivun said:
-snip-

Schmee said:
England can be invaded, and has been a couple times. I'm fine in Scotland, so far unconquered, and since we werent included in the "invulnerable" statment then uhm, we could just walk over the border, invasion commences.
By the way, England hasn't been successfully invaded since 1066. Since then, the English have beaten the Scottish in several wars and it was only the rise of the Stuart monarchy that finally united the two countries. Hence your comment is historically BS. Sorry, but any history textbook will support my statement over yours.
I agree with you about UK invading US and vise versa, but I'm pretty sure that U.S. Armed Forces have first-hand experience with U.S. military training, as well. And as a legitimate question, does the UK military have the newer guns, like you see on Discovery Channel?
Yes, we do. We happen to have some of the newest and most advanced weapons technology around, although that said I'll admit the US has more of that technology, we aren't exactly far behind. In fact we come very very close. And you forget back in all the major wars of the last century it was Britain who devised most of the newer technology the Allied forces were using in battle, some adapted from Axis technology admittedly, but still mainly developed by British munitions factories and laboratories...
Holy shit my reg. are geting new weapons in 3 weeks...wait...how the fuck!
By the way, how are you guys doing over there? I heard a while back the Government are going to start pulling British troops out of Afghanistan, but I'm not sure when or how many, I think it was on the news a few weeks ago though.

Zani

May 14, 2008
During World War 2 Germany changed their started Operation Barbarosa (Invasion of Russia) after some months of heavy fighting over the British-Channel - known as Battle of Britain - if Hitler would have persevered he would've been able to invade England, since the RAF was low on both pilots and planes.

RyVal

May 19, 2009
Britain.
It's called Britain.
England is a region; we don't refer to the USA as Texas, you don't refer to Britain as England.

BubbleGumSnareDrum

Dec 24, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
If factoring in Airstrikes no, infantry wise the UK has always been difficult to topple we are a naturaly fortified island with whats considered one of the worlds strongest navy but a show of supperior force would make it a war of attrition.

If we think about our European/American Allies yeah we are pretty much untouchable.
Yeah, you don't fuck with British special ops, some of the best trained soldiers in the world. In my opinion, and as an American, they make our Marines and SEALS look like pussies.

But maybe that's because every Marine and SEAL I've ever met was just a jagoff with a tough guy complex.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
stormyfs said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
It's 28 million available for military service, 23 million of which are battle fit.
Works for the Russians and Chinese, why not the Brits, eh?
Would you trust even 50% of the abject rookies that you'd be entrusting your life to? Not to mention the clusterfuck that would happen if their weapon jammed. Like I said before, enthusiasm cannot replace body armour or anti-tank weaponry, and considering that armour can be dropped out the back of aircraft, the same aircraft that can very easily reach the UK from the mainland US (for example, pick Australia if you want to use a couple more in-flight refuels) and landing that armour on the beaches doesn't seem like such a problem, does it?

The laser guns were actually a joke. I won't respond to the Spitfires and Hurricanes part because again, I don't want to turn this into a WW2 thread.
I know, but they promised us lasers in all the TV shows :'(

There are hardly lots of beaches for landing on, in fact there are only a handful, of which would be heavily guarded. The rest of Britains coasts are pretty much impossible to launch a full scale invasion on.
See above reference to airdrops. Plus any heavy defences can easily be nullified by bombardment, infiltration and collaboration.
I'd love to be able to stand up and say that Britain is impregnable, but it isn't.
I think some people here need a reality check. It is impossible to land enough ordinance using only airdrops to conquer an area the size of Britain. Lots of people pretending to be well informed are sadly mis-guided in the real logistics of an invasion.

Cue people saying they would drop in task force to open up a bridgehead blah blah blah...

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
CaptainEgypt said:
But maybe that's because every Marine and SEAL I've ever met was just a jagoff with a tough guy complex.
I thought those people became Blackwater mercenaries. :)

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
sure you can its just arrogant if you think that they can't.... just throw some nukes and bomb the shit out of the major cities and then just send in the Scandinavians from the east whilst Germany, the Benelux and east Europe take south with the French and other Mediterranean taking west. oh and Iceland taking the north and persuading the noble Scots to join in.

that's how I would do it if I were some super villain.... muahahahha

in reality none of Europe is really invade-able material...