Poll: Can you outgrow videogames?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I don't know if you can outgrow them entirely. More likely, as people get older, they might find their tastes shifting to one specific genre, or time period. It's like my Dad doesn't listen to FM radio; he listens to AM news radio. It doesn't mean he outgrew radio as he grew up - its place in his life just changed.

The way I think of people outgrowing games is more in the sense of not keeping up with the trends due to not having the time to play video games (work, family, college, whatever gets in the way) and progressively becoming removed from the improvements in technology after not playing for a few years. This even happened to me in highschool. For a few years, I went through a period of not buying any new games. Maybe getting one new one for my birthday.

I won't go into reasons for it, but, for a while, I really wasn't keeping up with gaming. With maybe a few exceptions, I was playing PS2/PS1 titles from 2002 or earlier until about 2006, when I got an Xbox 360. The gaming industry, and gaming as a whole had changed so much while I was busy with other stuff that it was almost overwhelming. So, if that could happen to me while I was still a teenager, I imagine it can be pretty alienating for someone in their fifties like my Dad, very rarely has the time to pick up new games (maybe one new PC game every 2-3 years, if he's not busy). He still plays games, but it will be the same title, or an old title. I'm pretty sure I've been listening to him intermittently play the same shooter for more than five years now.

So, yeah, it's not necessarily a case of outgrowing gaming so much as maybe having the gaming industry outpace you as an individual, or becoming out of touch with the evolving gaming culture, maybe. More often than not, though, people who grew up on games, or at least had gaming as an important pastime, will still pick up a game they loved from years ago and keep playing it, the same way they might watch an old TV show or movie, or read a book they read in high school again.

They may not be buying new titles, but that doesn't mean they've outgrown gaming. It just means they've had a lot of practice at becoming really good at a handful of specific games. ;)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Depends if that person looks at it as just a toy or is pressured out of it by those who believe it's just for kids.

I say 'No' though cause it's a hobby like every other piece of entertainment.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
If you put Galaga or some other game of that era in front of my dad he'll play. Other than that he's outgrown them. They thought I would too...lol

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
it you're eyes are so weak, and your mind so slow, and your hands so arthritic, so cant properly enjoy games, then yeah. any other time, no.

Cowabungaa said:
Depends on the person. I don't think I will any time soon. Games are an ever evolving medium that caters to almost every age group. Sure you might enjoy certain kinds of games, but games in general? I doubt it. One doesn't outgrow movies either, right?
ReincarnatedFTP said:
Sort of
Not as in "Video games are immature" so much as a "I don't have time for that anymore".
College freshman here, taking a five minute break.
I don't have time for recreation like video games though.
Which totally puts me off college. A life without recreation? Fuck that shit.
depends on what kind of student you are. i'm the biggest slacker ever and i totally have time for video games and physical recreation!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Not in general no, you could out-grow an individual game or even a genre, but not the medium itself.

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
My dad is/was 30 summin, and when I was a youngin we would play Soul Calibur and sonic and other Dreamcast goodness, he was what got me into gaming, and I think I'll still be playing TF2 when I'm 80 complaining about them youngsters and their TF12, and GTA Moon base.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
Not as a whole, but certain ones you definitely do outgrow. And I'm not just talking about the ones that you played when you were really little. Manhunt being a perfect example.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Dango said:
This is just a little topic that came up with me and a friend on X-box Live the other day, as the title says, do you think it's possible to outgrow video games?
Actually, I think this is exactly what happened to me - I was into gaming, and when I say into I mean addicted/sort-of. I stopped, got a girlfriend within literally 2 weeks, and have been playing way less to a point that I am now no longer playing games more than once a week. I still like playing them, I'm still scouring the planet for nice games, I just don't play very often anymore nor do I have the need to. I've had short breaks before, but this is different. I think I actually only play games for killing time and old times sake (and in awesome games, the gameplay).

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I definitely don't have the same interest in video games as I did a year ago. So I could be losing some interest, but I don't see myself stop playing them completely.

Minky_man

Mar 22, 2008
I was a big gamer 5-7 years back when I didn't have a job or money to go out. I would spend hours on Dynasty Warriors or Dissidia grinding away time like a fine powder.

Now? I play music, I go out, I watch sports, I keep the house in order, etc etc Whilst yes I still have time for games, I feel no compulsion to play them nearly as much as I did back in the day. I apply my personal logic to it: What do I get out of it? Playing music has me learn more about genres and become more creative, Going out gives some mediocore form of exercise and social conduit, Watching sports gives me a sense of pride for my support of a team, Cleaning my house keeps me busy AND happy with my surroundings.
What does gaming do for me Personally? It does what it has always done: Burn Time. An enjoyable way to burn time but nonetheless giving me, personally, no advancement in my life (personally).

If I need to wind down, de-stress as it were, I play my Mandolin, Smoke some cigs, Watch some comedy. Games are no longer, nor were they ever really in my case, a source of entertainment for me. When I do play them, it's for maybe an hour before I find myself yawning and prefering to try desparately to learn the Solo from Sabbath's 'Paranoid'

To answer, yes, you can find new interests and hobbies outside of gaming, But it also matters what you see Gaming as and what you get from it.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
Dango said:
This is just a little topic that came up with me and a friend on X-box Live the other day, as the title says, do you think it's possible to outgrow video games?
Video games are a medium. You may outgrow cartoons, but you will never outgrow television or Movies. You may outgrow children's novels, but you will never outgrow Novels in general.

Videogames are a medium, a medium cannot be outgrown. Even suggesting it is possible to outgrow Movies or books or music would be considered asinine. The same is true for videogames.

Dismissed.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
God I hope not, I love playing video games. but I'm probably not the best candidate for outgrowing things. After all, I'm 20 and I still haven't outgrown cartoons, Captain Crunch, or chocolate milk.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Can you outgrow music? Like that, there's nothing to outgrow.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Yes, as of late, I've become less interested in games. My Xbox broke months ago and I've been too lazy to turn it in because I don't use it that much. Usually I hang out with friends/play guitar/Boy Scouts/Tennis instead.