Poll: Canadia

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Souplex said:
Barbas said:
Redlin and Marter.
The point of this thread is to argue for the continued existence of the Red Menace, not against it.
<3 u 2

OT: Saskatoon berries. A berry so delicious that yanks are actually trying to change its name to 'juneberry' because it's too hard to pronounce or spell down South. [http://globalnews.ca/news/1526393/saskatoon-berry-found-under-different-name-in-usa/] They do make delicious pies and crumbles but come on... Saskatoon isn't even the hardest Canadian thing to pronounce correctly...

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
You forgot to include Devin Townsend therefore your poll is irrelevant. Devin Townsend is the one and only reason Canada's musical output is not 100% awful.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Catfood220 said:
You forgot to include Devin Townsend therefore your poll is irrelevant. Devin Townsend is the one and only reason Canada's musical output is not 100% awful.
Beat me to the damn punch. Hevy Devy rocks all.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I've always been quite a fan of our neighbors to the north. As a boy I would stay up late to watch SCTV and from then on, I was a pretty big fan of all things Canadian. Plus, Bret Hart.

But if anyone is thinking of voting for anything other than William Shatner in the poll, allow me to share this with you. I think it will definitively prove that he is the greatest thing ever.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
They kicked the Germans out of most of my country in 1945. But they did give the world Justin Bieber and they club baby seals to death so it all evens out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
People here are massively underestimating the perfection that is good poutine. Why is it not leading the polls with a 40%+ margin?

Also, seal furs. :D

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rabbitboy said:
They kicked the Germans out of most of my country in 1945. But they did give the world Justin Bieber and they club baby seals to death so it all evens out.
You give them flowers, they give you Bieber...harsh...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Redlin5 said:
OT: Saskatoon berries. A berry so delicious that yanks are actually trying to change its name to 'juneberry' because it's too hard to pronounce or spell down South. [http://globalnews.ca/news/1526393/saskatoon-berry-found-under-different-name-in-usa/] They do make delicious pies and crumbles but come on... Saskatoon isn't even the hardest Canadian thing to pronounce correctly...
Seriously? FFS, "Saskatoon" is a city in Saskatchewan. And "saskatoon" is too hard to say? Maybe I can use this as trolling material.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Redlin5 said:
Seriously? FFS, "Saskatoon" is a city in Saskatchewan. And "saskatoon" is too hard to say? Maybe I can use this as trolling material.
I thought it was a joke article until I saw it was Global.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Maple syrup.

My sweet tooth beckons. Maple syrup is love. Maple syrup is life.

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE OVER HERE?! WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT MORE OFTEN?! *wailing*

GoodOmens

Apr 23, 2011
People are forgetting the disporportionate number of awesome Canadian pro wrestlers. Bret Hart was mentioned earlier, but Lance Storm, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Edge, Christian, Owen Hart and Roddy Piper, not to mention Trish Stratus and Nattie Neidhart...that legacy speaks for itself.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As a Canadian myself I'm not sure exactly what Canada has given to American culture but, since it's the most logical choice, I have to say Rush. I mean, Rush is pretty much the best totally year round long lasting thing Canada could provide to any other country.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Catfood220 said:
Devin Townsend is the one and only reason Canada's musical output is not 100% awful.
That statement is full of hateful lies!

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Oh Canada, borders my home and native land. You've done some terrible things in the past, like burning down the White House (Yes, really, look it up)
Hey, that was the British. We just held off the Americans poorly thought out invasions. Then, the English troops who burned Washington didn't get the message that the war was over and wandered down to New Orleans.
It was Canadians on behalf of the British.
I'm pretty sure it was British Regulars. When the extent of the American threat was realized, the British Empire sent veteran troops from the Peninsular War to Canada to bolster the Canadian Militia and mount a counteroffensive into the States.
The British played up the value of Canadian militia men/volunteers and that helped shaped the nature of our country for years to come (those cowardly Americans did attack while the empire was stomping on a certain small french man and expect us Canadians to rebel for them, what bloody idiots). Also we can all love Brock but without laura secord there might not be an upper Canada left.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
soren7550 said:
They keep our heads warm, so that's something.

America keeps our chin warm and us looking kinda manly. Plus America is a better beard than we are a hat.
Souplex said:
President Bagel said:
The poll lacks options for: Poutine, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and blah. We also invented basketball, which to me is better than hockey.
Terribly sorry. Added a poll option for Poutine.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we invented Basketball. Also I'm pretty sure George Washington Carver invented peanut butter.
Well the creation of Basketball is American (first game was in Springfield, Massachusetts) the creator James Naismith was in the province of Ontario.

Also the fact that we burned down the White House is a pretty good reason for Canada's continued existence. It means we can take you down whenever we want, and you continue to live only by our mercy. Also we are your biggest trading partner.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Souplex said:
Catfood220 said:
Devin Townsend is the one and only reason Canada's musical output is not 100% awful.
That statement is full of hateful lies!
Okay, let's put it to bed right now. A list of Canadian bands/musicians that people tend to like:

- 3 Inches of Blood
- Tommy Chong
- 54-40
- Alexisonfire
- Strapping Young Lad
- Annihilator
- Anvil
- Devin Townsend
- April Wine
- The Arrogant Worms
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive
- Tom Cochrane
- Barenaked Ladies
- Big Wreck
- Kim Mitchell
- Joni Mitchell
- Billy Talent
- Brian Adams
- Jann Arden
- The Guess Who
- Neil Young
- RUSH
- Finger Eleven
- Gob
- Great Big Sea
- The Watchmen
- Stutterfly
- Gordon Lightfoot
- Bif Naked

There you go. And this is a short list.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Twintix said:
Maple syrup.

My sweet tooth beckons. Maple syrup is love. Maple syrup is life.

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE OVER HERE?! WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT MORE OFTEN?! *wailing*
It's like honey, only less filling, so it makes you think you're eating something healthier! :D

I used to love it with hotcakes at McDonald's.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Suhi89 said:
My fiancée comes from Canada so that's pretty awesome.

However, since the thread has been generally positive so far, I feel the need to inject a dose of British negativity.

Canada has Caesars. I mean, wtf? They're the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Clamato is an abomination in itself. And poutine, maple syrup, Albertan Steak, all taste great but will lead to an early grave.
The heck is an Albertan steak refer to, do I live to far on the Atlantic coast or something to not know how it's prepare or is that like a mad cow disease joke.

Suhi89 said:
And the cold. I don't know if Canada invented cold but it sure felt like it when I was in Edmonton for Christmas a couple of years back. What do you mean can I walk the dog? It's -40 out there!
No, the Russians invented it, we perfected it so no living man could best us in the arctic ring

Suhi89 said:
Also, gay marriage (ish). How dare you get in there first(ish), making other countries look and feel bad for being so backwards. I thought you were supposed to be polite!
Don't worry Harper hates gays, maybe he will make lot of the world look good by trying to revoke gay rights ... until he's kicked out of office for being a dunce.
Suhi89 said:
Yeah, so fuck Canada (hoping to move there next year).
Eh fuck you to buddy (hoping to see you here next year)

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
Also the fact that we burned down the White House is a pretty good reason for Canada's continued existence. It means we can take you down whenever we want, and you continue to live only by our mercy. Also we are your biggest trading partner.
Saying that bugger the American import costs, it costs less to order minis from great bleeding Britain then for it to march up from new york.
Also book prices are kinda stupid, books printed in Canada, written by Canadians, published in Canada and often printed on Canadian soft wood lumber (thanks Chretien) costs up to 10 dollars more to purchase in Canada.