Poll: Canadia

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
For me, it's Scott Pilgrim, Michael J. Fox, Dan Aykrod, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Cree Summer, Terry Gilliam, Leslie Neilsen, and Jim Carrey. A few good actors/comedians seem to come from there...

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
The correct answer is poutine.

http://i.imgur.com/gslId5v.png

As a Canadian, I consider poutine to be the single greatest culinary breakthrough the world has made in all of humankind's existence.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The only association I can make with Canada is I had an expat Canadian girlfriend once in primary school.

But given the complete lack of knowledge of Canada beyond this and their history, I can say that the only thing that stands out for me personally is William Shatner. Though that being said, he was kind of a dick to the cast on Star Trek.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Oh Canada, borders my home and native land. You've done some terrible things in the past, like burning down the White House (Yes, really, look it up)
Hey, that was the British. We just held off the Americans poorly thought out invasions. Then, the English troops who burned Washington didn't get the message that the war was over and wandered down to New Orleans.
It was Canadians on behalf of the British.
I'm pretty sure it was British Regulars. When the extent of the American threat was realized, the British Empire sent veteran troops from the Peninsular War to Canada to bolster the Canadian Militia and mount a counteroffensive into the States.
I don't know, the British never took the war too seriously even by the end of it (hell the reason the US government surrendered was because of the fact that 95% of the British armed forces where no longer tied up in Europe in a war they considered more important). Most of the war had militia as the bones and meat of our fighting forces. Though it is funny how half the US was openly defying the federal government with refusals to fight, refusing to allow the army to enter their territory, and trading with the UK.
Surrendered? The U.S and the British signed a treaty that pretty much just said "This was silly, lets stop now."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
freakonaleash said:
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Oh Canada, borders my home and native land. You've done some terrible things in the past, like burning down the White House (Yes, really, look it up)
Hey, that was the British. We just held off the Americans poorly thought out invasions. Then, the English troops who burned Washington didn't get the message that the war was over and wandered down to New Orleans.
It was Canadians on behalf of the British.
I'm pretty sure it was British Regulars. When the extent of the American threat was realized, the British Empire sent veteran troops from the Peninsular War to Canada to bolster the Canadian Militia and mount a counteroffensive into the States.
I don't know, the British never took the war too seriously even by the end of it (hell the reason the US government surrendered was because of the fact that 95% of the British armed forces where no longer tied up in Europe in a war they considered more important). Most of the war had militia as the bones and meat of our fighting forces. Though it is funny how half the US was openly defying the federal government with refusals to fight, refusing to allow the army to enter their territory, and trading with the UK.
Surrendered? The U.S and the British signed a treaty that pretty much just said "This was silly, lets stop now."
Yes, which just happened to be at the moment the French stopped being a problem for the British in Europe and also the moment where the bulk of the British navy and army could be sent to the US. Surrender may have been a strong word, the war was a lose for the US and a victory for the Empire.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:
Well, we were a British colony back then, so technically, the Brits won the war..kind of won

I like the outdoors here. Always a place to explore, no matter where you live in the country.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
President Bagel said:
Barbas said:
Twintix said:
Maple syrup.

My sweet tooth beckons. Maple syrup is love. Maple syrup is life.

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE OVER HERE?! WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT MORE OFTEN?! *wailing*
It's like honey, only less filling, so it makes you think you're eating something healthier! :D

I used to love it with hotcakes at McDonald's.

Believe me, hot cake syrup is not anything close to maple syrup.
Actually, I think you'll find they are exactly the same thing...

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Out of the choices I say hockey and the awesome players we get from there. A lot of maple syrup also comes from Vermont, so we could live without Canadian syrup if we had to.
Oh yeah, and the bulk of ICBM early warning radar is installed in Canada, so if we're about to get nuked that's where that information will come from, but I think there will be bigger things to worry about at that point.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
Well we have some good beer here. Oh and... Poutine the best food period. Add what ever you want to it and it just improves the dish.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Spot1990 said:
President Bagel said:
"An early form of peanut butter was first patented by Marcellus Gilmore Edson in 1884."

Also forgot to mention Nanaimo Bars. Those things are delicious.

"The roots of basketball are firmly embedded in Canada. In 1891 the game was invented by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian who hailed from Almonte, Ontario."

http://www.nba.com/canada/History_of_Basketball_in_Canad-Canada_Generic_Article-18023.html
I misread that as Marcellus Gilmore EDISON and for a brief moment had a great image of him running in to his family excited about his incredible new invention only to be beaten to the punch by his cousin bragiing about this "lighbulb" thing he just made.
Plus his name was Marcellus.

the_retro_gamer said:
Well we have some good beer here. Oh and... Poutine the best food period. Add what ever you want to it and it just improves the dish.
Truck stops in this country really need to get on the Poutine train big time, because they would make money out the wazoo by doing so. I'm picturing the mountains of weird Scottish currency already, carpeting the glens and munros as far as the eye can see.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Souplex said:

Anyways, stuff that Canada has given the world. Well, me, obviously. I demand satisfaction.
Yes and no British at the time but their ancestors would all be Canadian since Canada didn't exist and was just a part of Britain then.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Chris Hadfield.

Not that Canada needs justifying, it seems (from an outsiders perspective) to be the best of Britain, France and the U.S., combined into one superior nation.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
tricky-crazy said:
I remember a while back I was at my friend's place, it was a Saturday night and it struck me how Canadian I am.

My boss likes to hunt and whenever he have leftovers he gives us some stuff so me and my mate had moose meat and we had some poutine leftovers we had for lunch. Since poutine can be quite plain on its own, we mixed it with the moose meat which was surprisingly good.
Of course we had to drink something so my mate picked up a bottle of Sortilège which is a maple syrup alcoholic drink. I doubt we even export the stuff but if for some reason you visit Canada and you find a bottle of Sortilège, try it it's very unique.

So me and my friend go to his living room, we turn on the TV and the first thing we hear is the Canadian national theme playing at a Monteal Canadian's hockey game.

I've lived here all my life and it never struck me how much Canadian I am but that moment just felt very special.

So anyway, my answer to the poll would be... all the options !
Dammit, you are now officially the most Canadian person here. The sheer glare of your Canadianity makes mine look so dull in comparison that it might as well not be there.

Oh well, I've still got my Scottishness. Much like John A. MacDonald, our first prime minister, who once went to an election debate so drunk he vomited, and jokingly claimed it was due to how much his opponent's ideas disgusted him.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Heh, i just moved to calgary from croatia. It's a nice place, people are really friendly, lots of jobs everywhere. It's fuckin cold though. But too bad there wasn't any "domestic tea" on your poll because that's what makes Canada great in my opinion

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
jklinders said:
OP mentioned that he didn't care for maple syrup. I really hope he is talking about that Aunt Jemima abomination that many people think of as maple syrup and not the real thing which is thinner, sweeter goes great with many things and costs a small fortune. Pancake syrup has about as much and common with maple syrup as Justin Beiber has with music.
I don't like either. The real stuff is way sweeter and stickier than the fake stuff.
I like my waffles/pancakes with savory toppings such as eggs, bacon, and Canadian bacon.