Poll: did i pretty much make this kid snap?

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
So, there's this kid who rides on my bus and one of my friends is also friends with the dude.

My friend kind of messes around with the kid so I did a bit of the same. He tended to laugh at it a bit because it wasn't name calling or anything. I mean, we'd tell a racist joke or two, but it wasn't strictly on him. We did it to must people and even each other. We'd also say his name in like a funny way, but nothing really discriminating. Just in a cuban accent (by the way, he's cuban).

Yesterday, this other guy on our bus that morning had a poptart and put it on the dudes head. Now, the dude stabbed my friend in the arm first with a shank he made out of a pen thinking it was him. Then, in the afternoon, he does the same to the kid that actually put the poptart on his head. The kid punches the dude in the face.

They get off at the same stop, so on the poptart dudes way home the cuban kid stabs him with a knife in the chest and it punctures his lung. He's now in a lot of trouble. My friend says that us messing with him isn't what caused it, but the counselor at our school says otherwise.

Anyway, I want to know, am I at fault here? Did I pretty much stab the guy because I messed with this one kid just sort of joking with him? Or do you think he was already messed up and just had bad anger issues? Just as some more information, he has had some violent behavior before I even really met him.
Fixed that for you as best as I could. Also, why would you fuck with the guy who has known anger issues?

Yes, it is your fault. You shouldn't be a dick.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
He probably had something else going on, but what you guys were doing didn't help.

This is why people shouldn't make fun of others, you don't know where the potentially insane are.

RandomWords

Aug 16, 2010
You were probably at fault. From what I can decipher from your wall o text and assuming there was a bit more that you cleaned up to make yourself look better (I am not saying for sure, but in this situation I would do the same) you were essentially bullying him and he decided not to take it anymore. Yes, he probably has some anger issues, but you provoked him.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
The way I grasp it, I've got a couple statements to make:

First off, you and your friend are assholes. If someone's being bothered by your 'teasing' then knock that shit off. If they're not laughing or avoiding letting it get to them, then you need to bug off, there are people willing to put up with asshattery like yours and clearly this guy wasn't one.

Second, the moment he starts trying to pass the blame to you guys is when you call his ass out. Yes, you PROBABLY were the straw that broke the camels back but you know what? HE made the decision to use the knife and HE punctured that guy's lung, NOT you.

A stable person may not 'accept' the teasing he gets but he also learns to not take out his frustration or stress on others. This guy CLEARLY is not stable. Maybe it's his environment, maybe he's crazy, I dunno, but he's got the makings of a bad person. First it's stabbing and then... Well, it could be more.

So, next time you talk to the counselor, I advise you to do this, admit you were wrong in taunting him and apologize for it, but do NOT accept AT ALL that you guys are the cause of HIM STABBING the other dude. Once more, HE made the decision to stab the guy in the lung, not you two.

That's all.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Obviously there's no excuse for stabing someone, but to be fair you arn't free from blame either. I just hope you realise that words can hurt people(not as much as knives........but still.) just do your best not to harm anyone on purpose.
This actually kind of reminds of something that happened to me when i was in school. I was waiting in a lunch line and the guy next to me somehow got it into his head that I cut in front of him, he got very upset and stabed me in the arm with his fork. I found out later that he had been bullied severely for weeks and was totally on edge. I felt bad for the guy, he was hurting more then me even though i was the one bleeding.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Seems pretty obvious that he has mental issues. You trying to give him a playful hard time doesn't help him at all. Either way, you didn't know it and thought it was all in good fun, so I doubt anyone can blame you, as long as he laughed at the teasing, otherwise, you're an ass and need to learn not to mess with people you don't have a trust bond with.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Ampersand said:
Obviously there's no excuse for stabing someone, but to be fair you arn't free from blame either. I just hope you realise that words can hurt people(not as much as knives........but still.) just do your best not to harm anyone on purpose.
This actually kind of reminds of something that happened to me when i was in school. I was waiting in a lunch line and the guy next to me somehow got it into his head that I cut in front of him, he got very upset and stabed me in the arm with his fork. I found out later that he had been bullied severely for weeks and was totally on edge. I felt bad for the guy, he was hurting more then me even though i was the one bleeding.
I don't think you should have felt bad dude, you should have taken a semi-aggressive approach, something to get the point across that he's more pathetic for attacking an innocent bystander like you than those guys were for teasing him in the first place.

It's one thing to be bothered by bullying, it's another to cave and submit to violent/irrational behavior.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Kyogissun said:

First off, you and your friend are assholes. If someone's being bothered by your 'teasing' then knock that shit off. If they're not laughing or avoiding letting it get to them, then you need to bug off, there are people willing to put up with asshattery like yours and clearly this guy wasn't one.

Second, the moment he starts trying to pass the blame to you guys is when you call his ass out. Yes, you PROBABLY were the straw that broke the camels back but you know what? HE made the decision to use the knife and HE punctured that guy's lung, NOT you.

A stable person may not 'accept' the teasing he gets but he also learns to not take out his frustration or stress on others. This guy CLEARLY is not stable. Maybe it's his environment, maybe he's crazy, I dunno, but he's got the makings of a bad person. First it's stabbing and then... Well, it could be more.

So, next time you talk to the counselor, I advise you to do this, admit you were wrong in taunting him and apologize for it, but do NOT accept AT ALL that you guys are the cause of HIM STABBING the other dude. Once more, HE made the decision to stab the guy in the lung, not you two.

That's all.
just saying, he joined in, and acted like he was having a good time when we did it. he laughed with us, he messed with other people with us(whom also mess with us, we don't mess with anyone that isn't our friend and that we don't know if they're cool with it or not. and yes, i realize that obviously he must not have been cool with it) he just seemed like he was having a good time.
and yes, i did apologize to the counselor, admitted what i did was wrong, but he still treats me like i was the one that stabbed the dude.

twillman15

Jun 6, 2010
In my humble opinion, you were probably more of a friend to him then an enemy...buuttt the insults you and the cuban kid traded to each other while probably seen as friendly on the outside, unconsciously the cuban kid most likely took these insults personally and took his aggression out on the pop tart kid. Sort of like an earthquake the pressure just builds up and then violently releases all at once.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Jadak said:
How was he even still in school at the end of the day after 2 stabbings?
the second one was later after he was off the bus heading home, and the first one was as deep as that part of the pin that comes out after you click it. the first guy didn't tell. in fact, it was the bus driver that told on the stabber, not the dude who was stabbed. everyone was trying to protect him cause he is one of our friends.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Kyogissun said:

That's all.
just saying, he joined in, and acted like he was having a good time when we did it. he laughed with us, he messed with other people with us(whom also mess with us, we don't mess with anyone that isn't our friend and that we don't know if they're cool with it or not. and yes, i realize that obviously he must not have been cool with it) he just seemed like he was having a good time.
and yes, i did apologize to the counselor, admitted what i did was wrong, but he still treats me like i was the one that stabbed the dude.
Let me just say that if you're not telling the truth here and there's something you've left out for us to make it look like you haven't done anything wrong, then ANYTHING bad that comes your way, I'm sorry but you'd deserve it. The only thing worse than having done what you did would be to lie about what extent it went to.

BUT, I prefer to be trusting and I'm accepting the idea that you don't have anything to gain by leaving out details. I re-read things and saw the whole 'he went along with it' comment and so yeah, I still stand by my original statement:

You guys are dicks for messing with him in the first place but do NOT let anyone plant the blame on you. Someone could have given him the shank/shiv/knife but HE (And again, everyone reading this needs to realize this is the most important point) made the decision to stab that guy. It wasn't in self defense, it was the result of him succumbing to a weakness and deciding that 'violence' was the 'best' way to solve his problem.

VicunaBlue

Feb 8, 2009
DaggerOfCompassion said:
klaynexas3 said:
so, there's this kid who rides my bus, and one of my friends is also friends with the dude. my friend kind of messes around with the kid, so i did i bit of the same. he tended to laugh at it a bit, cause it wasn't like name calling, i mean, we'd tell a racist joke or two, but it wasn't strictly on him, we did it to must people, even each other. we'd also say his name in like a funny way, nothing really discriminating, just in like a cuban accent(by the way, he's cuban). so, yesterday, this other guy on our bus, that morning had a poptart, and put it on the dudes head. now, the dude stabbed my friend in the arm first with a shank he made out of a pen, thinking it was him. then, in the afternoon, he try's to do the same to the kid that actually put the poptart on his head. the kid punches the dude in the face. now, they get off at the same stop, so on the poptart dudes way home, the cuban kid stabs him, with a knife, in the chest, and it punctures his lung. he's now in a lot of trouble. now, my friend says that us messing with him, isn't what caused it, but the counselor at our school says otherwise. anyway, i want to know, am i at fault here? did i pretty much stab the guy because i messed with this one kid just sort of joking with him? or do you think he was already messed up and just had bad anger issues? just as some more information, he has had some violent behavior before i even really met him.
Well obviously you were at fault. Not fully of course, your friends helped, but you sure did a lot.
Fitting screen name, ehh?

No, you aren't. If he wasn't confident enough to ask you to stop, but had enough balls to shank someone, he probably has a few issues.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
klaynexas3 said:
Kyogissun said:

That's all.
That's because you're still trying to minimalise the whole thing. Stop saying 'oh, he joined in...it was only a LITTLE bit racist (like hell it was)...he was having a good time...'. Assholes like you say that all the time. If he was having a good time, he wouldn't have reacted like that. More like he was trying to laugh it off in the hope that you'd go pick on someone else, and didn't want to give you the satisfaction of knowing he was upset.

Stop making excuses and accept your responsibility.