Poll: did i pretty much make this kid snap?

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
So.. a cuban guy stabs another guy because he put a poptart on his head? Yeah thats not your fault. Hes just fucked up in the head. If he was angry enough from your treatment to get violent, you'd of seen it

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
tthor said:
I was also bullied a great deal at a period in my life, and it drove me to dispair, depression, even contimplated suicide many times. words affect people different, some its merely brushes off there shoulder, and some its like a punch to the gut. it builds up over time, and can be very painful. it can haunt a person for their entire life, bring a person to the point where they are ready to explode on the next person who makes them feel hurt. was what this child did alright, definitely not! but i understand how he got to that point, and i feel pity for him.
I'm sorry to say, but I got a very low opinion of people who have to resort to violence, be it against others or themselves, to make themselves feel better, this goes to both bullies and the victims.

Sorry, but I don't like putting up with stupid "imma go kill myself now because some kids shoved and said mean words to me" bullshit.

Never once when I was getting bullied did I think "Gee, this sucks, better go off myself", or "Gee this sucks, better go and stab/shoot somebody."

I just don't see how this can go through peoples heads. Different upbringings I suppose. Given the fact my parents said fight back or get a thicker skin. I did a little of the former and more of the latter since the ones bullying me tried little psychical bullying.

Do I feel sorry for the kid getting 'bullied' well, going from the opening post. No, not at all, if he was laughing along and joking with them it seems he was fine with it, now if he was just playing along hoping they would stop, you can't really blame the ones that were teasing him, they are not fucking mind readers. He should of spoke up.

Of course, if the OP isn't telling the truth and the kid DID ask them to stop then yes, him and all his friends are douchebags. But that still does NOT excuse any sort of stabbings, I don't care WHAT his state of mind was. It was assault the first time and attempted murder the second, he should be behind bars.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Paksenarrion said:
Successful Troll is Successful.

To clarify, the title of the thread, the grammatical errors, and the wall of text lead me to believe that this is a troll thread. If the title was, "Am I at fault?" or, "Did I cause him to stab other people?", the thread would sound more genuine.
i am usually a pretty good judge of character and basic psychological stuff, this doesn't seem like a troll thread. the wording sounds like that of someone who feels confusion, shock, remorse. if a person wanted to make a troll thread, it would be highly doubtful to be like this, theres not enough conflict to cause people to want to trully flame it, it doesn't aim to get a strong reaction from them like a troll thread would.

and even if it was, i believe in situations like this, it is much beeter to feel sympathetic of a lie than it is to feel cheated by a truth.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Delritho said:
tthor said:
I was also bullied a great deal at a period in my life, and it drove me to dispair, depression, even contimplated suicide many times. words affect people different, some its merely brushes off there shoulder, and some its like a punch to the gut. it builds up over time, and can be very painful. it can haunt a person for their entire life, bring a person to the point where they are ready to explode on the next person who makes them feel hurt. was what this child did alright, definitely not! but i understand how he got to that point, and i feel pity for him.
I'm sorry to say, but I got a very low opinion of people who have to resort to violence, be it against others or themselves, to make themselves feel better, this goes to both bullies and the victims.

Sorry, but I don't like putting up with stupid "imma go kill myself now because some kids shoved and said mean words to me" bullshit.

Never once when I was getting bullied did I think "Gee, this sucks, better go off myself", or "Gee this sucks, better go and stab/shoot somebody."

I just don't see how this can go through peoples heads. Different upbringings I suppose. Given the fact my parents said fight back or get a thicker skin. I did a little of the former and more of the latter since the ones bullying me tried little psychical bullying.

Do I feel sorry for the kid getting 'bullied' well, going from the opening post. No, not at all, if he was laughing along and joking with them it seems he was fine with it, now if he was just playing along hoping they would stop, you can't really blame the ones that were teasing him, they are not fucking mind readers. He should of spoke up.

Of course, if the OP isn't telling the truth and the kid DID ask them to stop then yes, him and all his friends are douchebags. But that still does NOT excuse any sort of stabbings, I don't care WHAT his state of mind was. It was assault the first time and attempted murder the second, he should be behind bars.
just because it may seem stupid doesn't change the fact that many people do take their own lives because of bullying, even if it may be for seemingly stupid reasons. tho your experiences are valuable insight, you, just like all of us, are different in mind, emotion, and experiences. we do not share the same mind nor experiences as everyone else, and thus others may react in ways that seem strange to some of us. i laughed at many of the bullying directed at me, but it was only to hide my hurt feelings, and to not let them see that they successfully hurt me.
you seem like a logic oriented person. but majority of humans are emotional creatures, making them often act illogical and irrationally.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Theninja said:
Maybe. Human minds=complex as hell.
But could he tell when you were messing around?
well, he was laughing and joking around with us when we did it, and we mainly did it to each other so i guessed he knew that. maybe he didn't. but no one knows if it really was us messing with him or something else, maybe he was having a bad day or something. either way, the counselor's are looking at me and my friend for the dude stabbing the other guy.

Theninja'skatana

Aug 29, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Theninja said:
Maybe. Human minds=complex as hell.
But could he tell when you were messing around?
well, he was laughing and joking around with us when we did it, and we mainly did it to each other so i guessed he knew that. maybe he didn't. but no one knows if it really was us messing with him or something else, maybe he was having a bad day or something. either way, the counselor's are looking at me and my friend for the dude stabbing the other guy.
Again complex as hell but really only he (the dude) would know why.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I don't think you're the reason he snapped. Though if what you are saying is completely true, you may still be at fault. He may have not liked you joking around and wanted you to stop it without telling you, so you may be at fault for that.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
Impposter said:
Sheesh, who brings a knife to a poptart fight?
I laughed hard at that.

At OP: From what YOU described, it's not your fault. That kid is messed up. If he was distressed he should have told an adult like anyone else would, not try to murder someone.

At most replies: BULLYING IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR MURDER! I know alot of you were bullied at school and it was hell, but come on. Messed up kids get bullied and do messed up things; bullying alone (especially the kind in this situation) is not cause enough for extreme violence.

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
Well, partly. Partly your fault. But not entirely.

A) The kid should have told you to stop messing with him. And instead of STABBING someone when they get a pop-tart on their head (really, that big a deal?), tell them that it's not cool. He took action too fast and got violent when he should have tried diplomacy first.

B) Kids are cruel, I teased, was teased. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon with friends and make fun of someone. I think it's pretty common, almost natural for kids to do. School isn't easy. For anyone (mostly). Everyone experiences bullying. His problems probably stem from many issues, but bullying definitely didn't help.

C)I hope the kid with who got his lung punctured makes a full and healthy recovery. And I hope all of you learned a valuable lesson that you can take with you for the rest of your lives. Teasing can be fun and jovial with friends, but there are lines. Make them clear.

Good luck, mate.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Racist joke, read at your own discretion
I think he did it because well, he is cuban

But now a more serious answer. I don't think you're the reason he would go through such extreme measures as to stab somebody for that. Must have been years of repressing something else and then he took it out on your friend.

However, if you ARE the reason, that kid REALLY needs to be locked up. Stabbing somebody just because they are bullying them is just... well lets just stick with FUBAR.

RickF7666

Jun 11, 2009
Do not listen to these people who say you are responsible for someone else's actions. I was bullied a lot as a child and I got over it. Do not make more of this than it is and don't let these other people lay their problems at your feet.

The only thing you should take from this is to try to be a kinder person and that's it. All of this anonymous finger pointing is hateful and is it self a kind of bullying. Don't listen to it.

Apr 29, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Irridium said:
If he was prone to violent tenancies, then it seems you and your friend are more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type thing.

That being said, even though you apparently were just the straw in the matter, it is still your fault. Why would you mess with a kid who was prone to violent behavior?
i didn't know til after the incident that he was like that. he always seemed just chill, and he'd laugh with us and shit when we'd messed with him, it seemed like he was having a good time.
That's what he displayed on the outside, but inside could have been an entirely different story.

Taxicab Samurai

Dec 23, 2008
I say no.
You can't do anything about people with violent tendencies.
Provoked or not the kid most likely would have attacked someone else for something.
He seemed ok with it, you didn't know he was packin' shiv.
Don't feel bad.

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
I'm sorry. To me this whole thing sounds like common joking gone wrong. Seriously, I call my best friend fat every time I see him. He calls me gay in response. We both know full well neither of us mean it.

I get the impression that is what the OP is saying the relationship seemed like to him. If this is indeed the case, then no. I would say you are not at fault here, but I will say, be a little more careful on guaging reactions. Whenever I tell a joke that may not work well, I watch to see how they react, especially if I repeat it. Of course, this assumes that the story wasn't sugarcoated. I've been bullied enough to recognize the "going with it" response, and that may be what this guy was doing. If this is the case, you may have a part in causing him to snap, but I agree with the posters who say that you shouldn't blame yourself for the stabbing. If it had just been an asskicking, then sure. But the stabbing goes a lot farther than you.

Now your counselor, again, if the OP is true, then he could use a good verbal asskicking himself. He is clearly not doing his job right.

Eijarel

Jul 13, 2010
ah well you lucked out this time,
is gonna stay in your mind for sometime, so be careful next time XD

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
ya know this is something you would find on /b/.

Thankfully the response is more than civilized.

OT: All factors are questioned so yeah, you may have something to do with it.