Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

LifeSentence

Sep 25, 2010
Gentlemen, you are looking at a man who's owned THREE PS2s. First one overheated, second one got pulled to the ground by controller cord via dog, third one just died.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Just once, actually. It was one of the earlier models which had a fault in the software for when reading discs. In short, it began to give you alot of "Disc Read Error" nonsense and was the subject of much rage. So, I bought a new one, which actually kind of shocked some friends of my sister, 'cause you have to recall that these things are expensive.

My current PS2 is in reasonable working order, much like my original Playstation. Between these two and a backwards-compatible PS3, I can play any Sony game I ever owned without fail.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
My fat PS2s lens got worse and worse after about a year of purchase, but it still kept reading games for 1 more year. After that it started to have problems reading games, specially new ones like Tekken 5 and such.
The funny thing: if the disc got loaded, and the game started, there was no problem at all while playing, but the problem was getting the darn thing to get to that point.

So i consider it "broken" but i actually still play with games, backed up on the hdd, thats connected to the system, and i also have a slim PS2 i got around the time the fat PS2s lens broke down, now that still works perfectly!

SiegeJack

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, unfortunately, I had to open it to fix something and the On-Off switch popped off.

I miss Ace Combat and Battlefront 2.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Had mine since 2001, no problems with it or my PS1.

I haven't lost any 360s or PS3s either, so maybe my house is made of magical pixie dust or something.

tehannihalator

Apr 6, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
K84 said:
I need to replay San Andreas once in a while.
Keeps me happy.
Me too.
But I eventually got it for the PC for mods.
Still, when I want to play a great Burnout game (like 3 or Revenge) I got to go to the ps2.

My ps2 never broke but I refused to buy one until they worked out the kinks. If something has a reputation of breaking easily, I wont buy it.

Speaking of that, what's the failure rate of the new 360s? I want a console that gets good support.
I don't know about the failure rates on the new 360 but in my personal experience they're pretty well designed with mine accidently running for 48 hours and surviving. However the touch screen buttons for the interface are very sensitive.I dont know how many times the cat has ejected the disk drive.

OT: No my ps2 slim has never broken. Even though its been pulled off shelves, had bits of doritos fall into the ports (never lend a console) and its Crowning Moment of Awesome, survive somebody put 20kg of luggage on to it.

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
got mine the Christmas of the year they came out and used it religiously until it was fried by lightning and at that point 360 had come out and i didn't care any more.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
My ps2 was a saint. It never died or broke at all on me.

Just wish I still had it. -.- My uncle sold it for crack money.

HalfChance

Apr 5, 2011
The PS2 sitting under the bed in the spare bedroom was purchased about a week after launch, It still works perfectly apart from the disk tray can be a little stiff, In fact I dig it out every now and again for a bit of nostalgia.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
I still have my old original design with the S400 port in the front. man that thing is old. =(

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Wow, only 6% people who answered never owned a PS2, doubt you would get such a low number with any other console (yes I realise it is the best selling console ever and that people without PS2's specifically may not be drawn to the pole).

OT: mine is still working, had it since just after Vice City was released.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
More than once. It got the dreaded Disc Read Error problem, so we sent it off to Sony. Took about 3-4 weeks to get it back, and it worked... For a couple of weeks, when the DREs returned. Another 3-4 weeks later, and it was fixed for yet just another couple of weeks. I can't remember if we set it out a 3rd time or not, but if we did, it also broke yet again, because it's currently buried in my brother's room somewhere still not working properly. Eventually we got a slim PS2, which needed to get its power brick swapped out because the power bricks Sony shipped with the first run of slim PS2s had a minor defect where they might just catch on fire. Aweeeeeeesome. >_<

Combine that with the problems I had with my 60GB PS3* and relatively close to launch PSP Go**, and I will never trust a Sony product at launch again.

*Blu-ray laser died, so I couldn't play PS3 games; I did play PS1 games on it until the coffin arrived though. after that, it became more and more of a noise maker and space heater every time I turned it on, and fearing a possible YLoD and losing all my copy-protected saves, I got a slim PS3 (which had been out about 5-6 months at this point) so I could do the data transfer utility to keep all my shit (which finally worked after multiple failed attempts because the utility would just freeze at around 90%. took the better half of a day just to transfer some save files and DLC, thanks Sony.).

**Screen didn't work out of the box, then it came back and worked for about a day, then died again. And they didn't have the web repair request form set up for PSP Gos yet, so I had to deal with a customer service rep on the phone who kept questioning my model number. "It's N#####." "2000 or 3000?" "No, it's N####, it's a PSP Go." "...So a 3000?" "IT IS A PSP GO!" "Oh, it's a PSP Go. Okay. Why didn't you say that earlier?" ... http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/3.png

Magyarman

Jul 26, 2009
I kept my PS2 in a drawer under my TV, unaware that would spell death for any normal console. It stayed there from the time I was 12 until last summer. I am 19 now, and my dad now uses it to play Madden all the time. It still works perfectly. I don't know what kind of magic is in that thing, but I bet I'll be able to show my grandkids Sly Cooper.

Edit: mine was the old one too, not these new slim things.

RogerKevin

Oct 3, 2010
Had mine for years, never needed to get it fixed, still serves my sister faithfully to this day. Because, you know, she robbed it off me. I have Persona 3 and 4, unused for months now.