Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I've had mine since 2002, fat, and it works just fine. The last few years I've used Swap magic to play imported games, but it still works fine, although sometimes it may have slight problems reading a disc or detecting a memory card, but that's nothing a reset won't fix.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
My 1st did.

My 2nd one, while dusty, still will work.

Unlike a certain OTHER console at the moment. *cough* 360 *cough*

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
As far as I can tell my original PS2, release year model (SCPH-39003), is still working. I last used it on holiday to play some Star Wars Battlefront 2 after I crippled myself sleeping in a bed too small for me on the Isle of Wight. Ended up stuck laying motionless for 3 days but for hobbling to the toilet and to bed. Anyway, it worked great, SWBF2 and Burnout 3: Takedown worked beautifully on it.

After I bought my PS3 it had a few falls off some 3 foot high drawers onto hard wooden floors, so I was worried, though it seems it survived unscathed. I hope to be able to still be using it nostalgically well into my 30's if not for longer.

My old Playstation works fine too, but the lid is a bit loose, sometimes needs weighting down.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
My PS2 is a veteran, survived the most horrific moments of the Sony-Nintendo-Microsoft war. It has seen horrible things that left it traumatized for ever.

It stills run SW:Battlefront 2 like a champ tho.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
I got mine the day the PS2 was released and I've played it for countless hours and it has never failed me. Though ironically I've played my PS3 for about 40 hours and it has already failed me several times.

Same with my Xbox 360! And Wii!

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
It never broke on me once. A very few small number of disks (Blue bottom surprisingly) scratch and is unreadable but for 7 years, thats not bad at all.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
it stopped playing cutscenes for certain games like God of War 2 and Killzone, but thats about it. It never failed me.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
Mine only broke because my fat idiot brother walked across the room and straight into the wire for the controller pulling the whole thing off the shelf.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
My ps2 never broke, it's 1st controller port began to fail so, with fingers crossed, I traded it back and got an xbox as halo was all the rage.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I've never had to do anything with mine, it's been dependable since I got it (Christmas 2001 i think?), I still fire it up to play a couple older games like Jak and Daxter or Kingdom Hearts

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mine had an issue where the laser module kept slipping off the lead screw, and as such the PS2 couldn't read the discs. A little 3-in-1 oil fixed that problem.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
PS2's were prone to breaking?! You learn something new every day...

None of my friends EVER had a PS2 break on them. Fat or slime, bought new or used. Among my circle of friends, at least, the PS2 was known for being reliable in functioning.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I never had a problem with my PS2. It only died because of dust collection then I got the slim in '06. Still lives on to this day

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I have a launch day PS2, it has a lot of issues, disk reading being one of them. It will randomly decide that it doesn't want to read the disk anymore and no matter what you do it will never read that disk again. Seriously I have a copy of GTA3, that I got in highschool, the game went nuts one day, disc read error, still to this day it refuses to play. And the disk looks fine.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Once, but it was my fault - I accidentally yanked the controller cable, and the unit fell off the shelf and the little laser driver shaft got knocked out of alignment. A bit of Internet consultation, some screwdriver work and crossed fingers later, it was back to normal.