Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I heard a friend claim of his DVD drive breaking after some years, but mine never had any problems, even after I tore the cover off.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I still play on the same ps2 i bought 10 years ago. It sometimes refuses to play some dvds, but other than that it works fine! I still play Buzz! games when i have a few friends over. The most reliable system i ever played on, that´s for sure.(ok, my girlfriend´s NES is still alive and kicking so that might not be completely accurate)

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
Haven't had any issues with the pre-owned PS2 Slim I've had since 2008 (despite it having been dropped to the floor about 3 times, while on and with a spinning disc inside), except that Quake 3 Revolution barely works on it, but that was a used game I got from GameStop, and despite replacing it 3 times I always get discs that look like they've been rubbed against sand paper, so I don't think these problems were the fault of my PS2.
Just bought a second PS2 Slim, not pre-owned this time, and it'll be interesting to see if it will outlive the PS3 I bought last month.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
ten.to.ten said:
After literally about two-dozen people quoting a remark I made in another thread about how I never knew anyone who didn't have to replace their PS2 at least once, I couldn't help but get curious. How many escapists had their PS2 break on them, and how many times as it happened to you?

I've gone through two PS2s, the first one I got in 2002 as a bundle with Final Fantasy X, and that lasted until 2005, when the mechanism that moved the laser died. I then bought a slim PS2 in a bundle with GT4, which, thankfully, still works perfectly to this day. What about you?
same thing happened to me and a friend of mine.. Think that must have been a weakness on the ps2 on that issue..
Have only replaced 1 machine though, got it when it first came out, had to replace after 3-4 years, then the next machine i sold when ps3 came out..

The machines was in use every day, often for many hours a day, and i also watched movies on it so all in all it lasted MANY hours..

Ascarona

Jan 24, 2010
I got my PS2 back in... 2003 I think? It still works like a charm. Someone modded mine so it can also play DVD's but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

benwins

Dec 29, 2008
Mine started making lots of grinding noises long ago, but never actually stopped working. That was an original chunky one.

The ps2 slim I bought my girlfriend however was forever refusing to close, or turn, on or read discs or whatever else it didn't feel like doing that day.

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
My fat one had some problems reading discs, but that was because I dropped it once. I did replace my fat one with a slim and that one hasn't failed me either (my fat one actually still works, but just has some problems reading discs. You have to reinsert certain DVD's a few times before it can read it).

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Just the once, and that was my fault- I had it sandwhiched under a monstrous old style cathode ray TV- no ventilation and a massive crushing force soon saw it away.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I had to go through two PS2's and a controller before I got a full working system in the first year after launch. Since then the one system has held up fairly well against the test of time. The only thing to note is that recently I've been getting this large black square over the screen when I want to start up dvds, but that may be an issue with the new hdtv trying to handle the cables - since when I flip back to 'tv' or some other mode then back to the ps2, it regains normalcy.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
The only PS2 I have ever had break was the very first one I bought, but that was the fault of my angry girlfriend (guys I know that game is fun, but break away and spend time with her or she will throw it out the window). Aside from that I never had one fail on me. You may be able to attribute this to the fact that I didn't play it that often after the first year, but I have a friend who games around 10 hours a day (no job no life) and his never broke down either.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
After 10 years. But only because it gathered dust. If I had cared for it, I don't think it would break at all. Sturdy as hell.

bloodmonkey

Feb 4, 2009
I bought it mildly broken, nice and cheap cause it took 5 minutes too boot a game and I haggled Gamestation out of another tenner for it ;-)

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
My slim didn't break, but the laser only read like 3 games towards the end. I owned it for only about a year and a half, but it was used.
I did choose once though as I had to replace it. My silver PS2 has been wonderful, though.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
I'm on my third PS2. My first one I opened to fix the laser, cause I sure as hell didn't want to pay for that, and it died the 2nd time I had to do it. 2nd one was a slim that overheated in a week. I'm back to the old school model, and it's been working perfect for over 4 years.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I bought mine around release (like 2 months after release) And the thing drove me to distraction. I kept having to open the thing up and clean the laser manually. Also there was some black crumbly rock/plastic nonsense that kept popping up in it.

With all that said.. It lasted me until about 2008 when it finally gave out. So despite its flaws it still turned out fairly long lasting.

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
I found that, for me and every friend of mine that owned the orignal, the Original PS2 broke after about 3-4 years. The slim however has never failed me. I still play it to this day. Lots.

I love my PS2 :D

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
My bro killed it with his fist out of frustration over GTA: San Andreas...
It didn´t die per se tho, it was just disabled, it couldn´t read DVDs anymore for whatever reason, but CDs where fine.
And that San Andreas DVD had a nice scratch on it...