Poll: Do You Date?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, I'm bored, so I thought I'd start up a topic.

I was talking with my girlfriend the other night, and we were making jokes about the whole "don't do X before/on the first date" sort of things. You know, kissing, sex, whatever people normally say. So I joked about how even the most trivial thing we'd do would technically be impropriety.

We've been together nearly two years. We've never been on a date, and it's quite likely we'll marry before the first date, because we're unlikely to suddenly decide to go on one. And it hit me that I haven't really had a date in over a decade. And honestly, I never really liked dating. I like just hanging out with my girlfriend, being comfortable and whatnot with her in itself. I hated the whole dog and pony show of dating, and routinely had to go to places I wouldn't normally frequent to engage in a social ritual I don't particularly like.

So now I turn it around to other people: Do you fine Escapists date? Did you ever? Why or why not? Do you enjoy it? How am I going to operate my digital watch now?

Dec 14, 2009
I've never been on a date.

I've been in a 10 year relationship (one I've recently came out of), but I've never been on a date.

My idea of picking up girls in punching them is the leg and telling them they're smelly.

Hey! It worked for 15 year old me!

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I will, but it's not a necessary thing, I'm fine with just hanging out as well. I guess I prefer it that way honestly, but I do enjoy taking someone out every once in a while, diner & a movie & that whole deal. The last woman I was with we mostly just stayed at her house, she cooked me diner(which was awesome by the way), played with her kids & just spent time with each other. The only time we went out was when we went to a local amusement park after being up all night & half hungover. Not a good combo.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I think you must have a much stricter definition of "date" than I do, because I'd count hanging out as a couple as a date, assuming that you're not living together. And once you're living together, any time you go out for dinner alone would be a date, no?

I'm married, and the spouse and I do stuff together, so whether those things (concerts, dinner, whatever) could be dates, I'd think.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Well, I'm not very good at meeting females, but with the few I've been more or less romantically interested and have shown it, yes I date.

Dating is fun. You go out and have a good time with a girl you like. It is like going out with friends (if you picked correctly the girl) with the possibility of extra things. Even if things don't evolve past that, well, you just went out and had fun in nice places.

Captcha: wnat more? Sure captcha, sure I do.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It's been...I dunno...8-9 years since I last went on a date, due to a monogamous relationship making dating tricky. I both miss it and feel a sense of tremendous relief that it's gone. Dating can be a real thrill when it goes well...hard to top that endorphin high of a dynamite first or second date. It can also be a demoralizing nightmare when it doesn't.

Raikas said:
I'm married, and the spouse and I do stuff together, so whether those things (concerts, dinner, whatever) could be dates, I'd think.
From Wikipedia:

Dating is a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by two people with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or as a spouse. While the term has several meanings, it usually refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public, together, as a couple.

The protocols and practices of dating, and the terms used to describe it, vary considerably from country to country. The most common idea is two people trying out a relationship and exploring whether they are compatible by going out together in public as a couple who may or may not yet be having sexual relations. This period of courtship is sometimes seen as a precursor to engagement or marriage.
While long term couples like you and your wife or me and my girlfriend may be intolerably twee from time to time and describe our outings as "dates", we're WAAAAAY past the "dating" phase.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
While long term couples like you and your wife or me and my girlfriend may be intolerably twee from time to time and describe our outings as "dates", we're WAAAAAY past the "dating" phase.
Heh, fair point!

Although I think the term may be expanding in non-twee usage. I see people like my sister-in-law and people I went to school with (so we're talking women in their mid to late 30s) who post on FB about their "date nights" with their husbands, and it's usually code for "got someone to watch the kids and went downtown". I don't see it non-ironically from guys (or at least not from straight guys), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it migrates over into guy-speech pretty soon as well.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I didn't use to do much but these days I seem to date a lot. Be it uranium-lead, rubidium-strontium, uranium-thorium or even dendrochronology, I'm not too picky. I'm just glad I get out a bit.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Apart from teen "relationships", I've only ever had two long-term relationships and we never dated.
It was a more casual thing and then "oh, well, I suppose you're my boyfriend now.' :D

Apparently, no one wants to date me!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ha, women. I've had a few... umm experiences? Yeah, experiences with the females. So i'm not saying this from ignorance and honestly it's not really worth the trouble. Sorry girls, you may look nice sometimes but i'm fine without all the relationship hassle. The whole sex thing is just a little bit icky too. Like you have to be inside someone... Esh that's like 50 times too intimate for me.

However ladies, if you can pull off a beret without looking too hipster, are an A cup or lower (B-ish is as high as i'll go) and can boast an intellect to challenge mine I will consider it... Especially the A cup. That is so fucking attractive *_*

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My girlfriend and I go out on dates once every week or three. Sushi, movies or what have you...it's a great time even if we can't do it more often. So short-answer would be "yes".

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I do. Can't say I've ever been on a bad date, since I pick my battles.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Quaxar said:
I didn't use to do much but these days I seem to date a lot. Be it uranium-lead, rubidium-strontium, uranium-thorium or even dendrochronology, I'm not too picky. I'm just glad I get out a bit.

Well done, sir. Genuinely had me laughing out loud.

OT: Never have, and most likely, never will, simply because I focus more on work and my own leisure time than worry about courting females.
Will I regret that decision? Probably.
Can I be arsed to rectify it? Hell no.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I would if I could, but I can't, so yeah... I don;t have a choice...<.<

Oct 2, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
Apart from teen "relationships", I've only ever had two long-term relationships and we never dated.
It was a more casual thing and then "oh, well, I suppose you're my boyfriend now.' :D

Apparently, no one wants to date me!
T0ad wants to date you! Hes getting tired of yellow, he needs more Colour.
:D

OT: I think I've been on a few dates in my early teen years. But I kinda stopped since I was dirt poor and all the (also dirt poor) girls I was with always wanted to spend crap tons of money. Plus I thought it was stupid.
I'm ina 2 year relationship now and I don't think we've ever been on a date by any strict definitions of the word.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ehh, not really anymore.

i mean, we'll go out for a meal or something, but i wouldn't call it a date at all. we've been together for over 3 years now btw

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I went on a date once. Extended over two days or so. It was fun, although nothing romantic developed from it. We're primarily Facebook friends now, since she lives rather far away.

Oh, wait, I guess I was on a date with another girl at one point. It's possible she didn't think of it as a date, though, and we didn't stay in touch.

Maybe once I've spent some more time in the gym, I'll feel confident enough to try to get into the scene again. Until then, my reclusive attitude will keep me Forever Alone'd.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
My girlfriend and I go out on dates once every week or three. Sushi, movies or what have you...it's a great time even if we can't do it more often. So short-answer would be "yes".
Wait, just going out and doing things with your SO counts as a date?
Well then, yeah, I've been on hundreds!

I thought dating was that thing in the beginning, when you aren't a couple and you're getting to know each other and whatnot.
Beffudled Sheep said:
needs more Colour.
Everyone needs a bit more Colour in their lives. ;)