Poll: Do You Date?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I haven't been on a proper date in ages. My current relationship (been 2 1/2 years so far) didn't start with a date, we just kinda said we liked each other and that was that. I mean, we have date nights, but it's more of a formality than anything else and probably doesn't really count.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've never been on a date. Then again I've never had a girlfriend, but to hell with that. I've got too much other stuff to worry about and waste money on, like video games.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
I've got one this weekend.

Can't say I'm fond of them, though. I ultimately feel put on the spot and feel really nervous. The consequence is usually an okay time that leads to the halt of development of the relationship with the party in question.

Maybe this time will be different? I dunno. I would much rather watch Netflix, talk, and cuddle than pretend I give a shit about anything in a shopping center. Can I do that? I'd like to do that.

Libra

Feb 4, 2012
Never been on a date. When I was young I promised myself I wouldn't date until I had a career going, and I'm sticking with that. Of course, considering the current economy that could wel last quite a while

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
My idea of picking up girls in punching them is the leg and telling them they're smelly.
I've punched girls in the leg and told them they're smelly, but never at the same time. I'll try and keep that in mind for the future!

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I generally just consort with loose women and get down to the real fun early.

I have been on dates, but I prefer to just fuck.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I've never been on a date, I don't think I'd like them, either...does anybody? Seems like a really awkward, stressful experience. Two people grilling each other and trying to force conversations...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
We've been together nearly two years. We've never been on a date, and it's quite likely we'll marry before the first date, because we're unlikely to suddenly decide to go on one.

So now I turn it around to other people: Do you fine Escapists date? Did you ever? Why or why not? Do you enjoy it? How am I going to operate my digital watch now?
Okay, first a question - you and your girlfriend never go out to dinner? Or to a movie? Because, generally, one would consider going out to dinner or to a movie to be a date.

For that matter, staying in and watching a DVD together could be considered a date.

A lot of it depends on what you consider a date. Arguably, any recreational activity that the two of you do together, without anyone else involved could be considered a date. And, if you add in double-dates, anything you do with other friends who are also a couple (like dinner or gaming) could be considered a date or date-like.

So yeah, I can't really answer your initial question unless I understand your definition of what a date is. Because I would normally say that my spouse and I go on dates as often as we can - assuming dinner at P.F. Chang's counts as a date.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
With me it's kinda 'there's this art-exhibit at this museum I've been meaning to check out. Want to go with me so we have something to discuss about while we learn things about each other to know if we'd fit together as a couple.'

And no, I don't have enough of it. The last woman I dated turned out to have an aversion to blood and guts, so she didn't want to go to see the Body Worlds-exhibit. Probably good that didn't develop further, since if she would have problems with lot of the stuff I keep in my refridgerator...

(I keep animals, my fridge has dead animals and their parts in it, for food and preservation. Also my flat is full of spiders and other invertebrates. I think it's a good idea to find out their reaction to that stuff, for example by going to a zoo together, than letting them see everything all at once)

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
My girlfriend and I go out on dates once every week or three. Sushi, movies or what have you...it's a great time even if we can't do it more often. So short-answer would be "yes".
Wait, just going out and doing things with your SO counts as a date?
Well then, yeah, I've been on hundreds!
I thought dating was that thing in the beginning, when you aren't a couple and you're getting to know each other and whatnot.
See, this is the issue I was having. For me, a date is any recreational activity that myself and my sig-other do together. That's why all the people (like you) saying you'd been in year+ relationships and never been on a date baffled me.

I'd call the "thing at the beginning" a "first date" (or first dates). And... yeah, we didn't have many of those because my spouse and I were friends for like three years before we got together. We already knew one another really well. Our first "date" consisted of a walk in a park, dinner (where we talked about how we'd both had feelings for one another bottled up for some time before actually talking about them), another walk in the part (to get back to the car), and about nine hours of sex (with a break for dinner).

Edit: Anyway, when my spouse and I are going out to do something recreational without our kid along (and thus require a baby sitter), we call it a "date night". As in, an activity that we're doing together away from other people.

Oct 2, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
My girlfriend and I go out on dates once every week or three. Sushi, movies or what have you...it's a great time even if we can't do it more often. So short-answer would be "yes".

I thought dating was that thing in the beginning, when you aren't a couple and you're getting to know each other and whatnot.
Beffudled Sheep said:
needs more Colour.
Everyone needs a bit more Colour in their lives. ;)
Is that another invitation? ;p
I'll call up the orgy group.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
Colour Scientist said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

Beffudled Sheep said:
needs more Colour.
Sheep, you have a problem.
If you don't seek help soon, we're going to have to put you down. :D

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Unless drinking too much beer at a party and somehow ending up kissing/having sex counts as a date no i don't date. Never been into it because i've yet to meet someone who seemed worth the investment. Being a very risk averse investor I need the investment to have a high ROI and little risk. If it doesn't then i don't invest (in this case: time and money which going on a date require).

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
I'm married, and my wife and I used to go on what we considered dates about every weekend. Then we had a kid. Dating ground to a stop, as neither of our families live close enough to babysit and paying a babysitter is a bit of a drag. Whenever we convince/coerce/cajole/blackmail some friends to babysit, we go on a date, but that occurrence is a rare one these days.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I guess I used to date? But that was when I was like... 14.

If I wasn't in this realtionship I tend to get into a romantic scenario with woman by befriending her first and actually doing things as friends before a relationship forms. Or the flip side I would just go out to a bar a pick a girl up for the night.

I don't exactly have a middle ground.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Hell no. I've been in 2 relationships, one lasting a couple months in high school which barely even counts and the current one which just passed the 2 year mark. The one I'm in I'm feeling pretty confident about but if it doesn't work out I'd never do it again. The girl I'm with now was my best friend beforehand. I found her attractive, but she didn't sleep around so I figured I wouldn't even try anything. SHE asked ME out which is the only reason I even considered it, and even then I didn't expect it to actually work out in any capacity. I figured I'd give it a shot, maybe we'd last a week or two, I'd have a nice little reminder of why I don't date, and I'd move on with it.

I wouldn't say it's changed my perspective though. In that case there was an emotional connection already, but I'd never go out of my way to try to create one. I feel like any sense of satisfaction I get from the companionship is because of the specific person I'm with, not because I like companionship in general. Even with her, whenever I have to obligationally bite the bullet and do courtship things it's pretty painful. (I'm currently working on a machine that will create a black hole which will forever remove February 14th from existence.)

But anyways, really long answer for no. If this relationship doesn't work out that's it. If I feel lonely I'll get a dog. And if I need to have sex I'll fuck the dog go to a bar and treat some skank with low self esteem like I'm better than her.

Oct 2, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Colour Scientist said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

Beffudled Sheep said:
needs more Colour.
Sheep, you have a problem.
If you don't seek help soon, we're going to have to put you down. :D
I've been put down before. Not a fan, I much prefer being on top :D

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Pff. Romance. Relationships. Only lame people have those. All the cool people, like me, stay single forever! :D

[sub]*Sobs in corner*[/sub]

Dec 9, 2009
I think there is a bit of a problem in how different people will define dating and dates a different way. To me at least dating someone is when you're initially getting to know them and testing out the waters of the relationship. This period of time can be as brief as weeks or long as years. It's just one of those things that you know it when it's happening, but can tell when it ends. A date on the other hand can be just about anything. From the typically date night movie and a show to rock climbing or backpacking. Going out on a date has always been something I've seen as a planned event you do together with your significant other. The planning doesn't have to be substantial, it can be a spur of the moment thing, but some kind of agreement to go do something has to be there. Anyway this is mostly just me rambling on about what I think so take it however you will.