Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
My mother tongue is Dutch, with English as a second language. I can understand French and German, but speaking it goes beyond me. I'm planning to learn Japanese in the near future.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Bobbity said:
Je peux parler français un peu. Je l'a appris pour quatre ans, mais je ne l'apprende pas maintenant, parce que mon prof cet an etais terrible. :(

That was probably pretty atrocious, but essentially I've been doing French at school for four years, and I used to love it, but this year I've had an awful teacher who's sapped my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the language, while I've fallen behind a bit. Now I'm dropping it, although I feel a little bit guilty. :(

Also, wo hui suo yidianr hanyu. :p
I've had the polar opposite, in Years 8 & 9 I had this massive #### of a teacher that I felt had it out for me but this year she seems to have lightened up and french is really coming together for me (I'm also learning spanish this year(brilliant) as well as Irish (eh, I'm good at it, though it's not my favourite).

sombod

Aug 5, 2008
bassicly, i speak norwegian and english fluently, and i do make myself understood in german, and i do know the tiniest bit of spanish.

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist
translated by me
oh, and i have learned german for two years now, and i love german! tut mir leid (dopnt know what means, sry) when my german is not perfect.

ICH MUSTEN MEINE KUGELSCHREIBER ESSEN

i cant write german for shit tho

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Ok, headin' to bed now, jeez, I love how there's a little sub-conversation going on in German here, tomorrow I might hit up Google Translate to get the jist of what you're saying(inb4 ''Y U NO German?'' my school doesn't teach it as a standard language)

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
native language : dutch
second: english
third: german (understanding 90%, speaking .. well enough to get by )
i can decipher SOME french, if they go DEAD slow. but an 8 year old with an interest can do better. oh and i know the elder fulthark alphabet :p

english cause i want to
german cause i had to.
fulthark cause of THE AWSOME.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
sombod said:
bassicly, i speak norwegian and english fluently, and i do make myself understood in german, and i do know the tiniest bit of spanish.

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist
translated by me
oh, and i have learned german for two years now, and i love german! tut mir leid (dopnt know what means, sry) when my german is not perfect.

ICH MUSTEN MEINE KUGELSCHREIBER ESSEN

i cant write german for shit tho
Haha. And "tut mir leid" means "sorry" (ironically) and "wenn" means if.

And you had to eat your pen? That doesn't sound healthy. :D

sombod

Aug 5, 2008
i must add, my german is not from school, i learned it all on my own, with the help of a german friend of mine

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
thahat said:
native language : dutch
second: english
third: german (understanding 90%, speaking .. well enough to get by )
i can decipher SOME french, if they go DEAD slow. but an 8 year old with an interest can do better. oh and i know the elder fulthark alphabet :p

english cause i want to
german cause i had to.
fulthark cause of THE AWSOME.
Wieso müssen Sie denn Deutsch lernen? Ihre Elter, oder Sie wohnen in Deutschland, oder?
And what's fulthark? lol

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Finnish is 1st English 2nd (Learned 90% of it from internet because my teachers suck) and 3rd swedish which I hate but thanks to school I have to.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I've studied German for five years at school, I picked it because I'm of German descent and my dad speaks it semi-fluently. I'm still not fluent and still have trouble understanding native speakers.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I know bits and pieces of French. If speaking Scot slang is considered a second language then I speak that quite fluently. And I know bits and pieces of Italian and Greek. Not enough to carry on a conversation. And because I live in Southern California I have unfortunately picked up some of the Spanish spoken around here....The one language I DON'T want to learn....

AntonicKnight

Feb 9, 2011
Fluent in Russian,French,English and now currently learning German....maybe later i'll learn Japanese as well

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I speak Latin. Sure its a dead language but you can find traces of it in English everywhere. Plus because of it I have a basic understanding of all the Romance languages including Spanish and French.

platinawolf

Oct 27, 2009
I'm Swedish so swedish and english with danish and norwegian being close enough to swedish to understand.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
platinawolf said:
I'm Swedish so swedish and english with danish and norwegian being close enough to swedish to understand.
So from the Skåne then? Because I can't understand danes one bit ._.

OT: I learnt English as my second language back in grade school. It´s mandatory to take English here and as such I was kinda turned off from it to begin with, but it grew on me and I have to say, I like it a lot better then Swedish since it´s easier.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
ejb626 said:
I've studied German for five years at school, I picked it because I'm of German descent and my dad speaks it semi-fluently. I'm still not fluent and still have trouble understanding native speakers.
Ja... hören ist sehr schwer, aber lesen und schreiben ist so einfach. Ich versteh nicht, wieso kann ich schreiben aber nicht hören.

Five years is impressive, I've only been studying German for a little over two years.

LinwoodElrich

Dec 1, 2009
do programming languages count lol? I voted based on my experiences with French however, which was certainly not motivated by desire to learn it xD

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
Well I'm Danish, so I speak Danish. It's mandatory in the public schools in Denmark to have English education for at least 5 years. And 2 to 3 years more for the 80-90% who chooses to continue in highschool. So I speak English.
It's even mandatory to have a 3rd language for 3 years in the public schools, so I speak a little bit of German aswell, and I even managed to be pushed by my parents to have French as well, that I luckily got to quit after a year, so I do not speak French! No offence France, I just didn't see any need for me to learn French

platinawolf

Oct 27, 2009
kebab4you said:
platinawolf said:
So from the Skåne then? Because I can't understand danes one bit ._.
Actually from middle Sweden (Västerbotten). But understanding a danish person is easier than understanding a Chinese one. Isn't easy mind you :p