Poll: Do you know more than one language?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
English, Russian and Hebrew.
Russian parents and live in Israel so that's where the second two come from. English is quite a must in today's world I believe.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I know English, German, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. I can read and understand Pennsylvania Dutch pretty well, but can't really speak it. I'm studying French now too.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
English, Turkish, and a bit of French.

I'm in the US, if that makes a difference. I'd hope not, but I've met way too many people who can barely speak English correctly, let alone any other language.

Jack the Potato said:
Or just sign up to be an interpreter, then the military will PAY YOU just to learn a language. And yes, Spanish is available. BUT DON'T PICK FARSI. I can't stress enough how much it sucks to learn.
It must suck to learn, but you'd never have to worry about job security - we're going to be needing Farsi interpreters for a long time. Honestly, either that, Arabic, or Mandarin are probably your best bets if you're going to learn a language and you're seeking a career. Only problem is, they're all really hard...and Mandarin is supposed to be the hardest language on the planet.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Icelandic, English, Danish and soon Swedish (as its 50% danish).

I also just finished Spanish 101 and am going to Spanish 201 next semester.

Coraxian

Jul 22, 2010
freaper said:
Dutch and Flemish are actually the same, it's just that their accent grew apart over the last 50 years. Dutch and German split way before that. Also, people from Switzerland speak a different kind of German than the Germans, but it's still called German.
That might be true for a linguist, but for me personally it means that whenever I have to deal with Dutch people, there is a whole array of words I can't use. That's why I count it as a different language on this list.

And didn't you forget a 0 after that 50? If anything, they grew closer the last 50 years.

/end derailing

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
This might be the highest concentration of German speakers I've ever run into...

that said, I speak English and German fluently.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
I'm Swedish aka fluent in that. Thus i can also understand Danish and Norweigan seeing how they are similiar.

Fluent in English, the majority of all the music/movies/tv/books/games i consume are in English.

I can read German, understand most of it and speak a few sentences.

I can understand and read a little bit of french, aswell as speak a few common phrases.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
English and Dutch fluently, German takes a bit more work but when I get in to it I can have almost any conversation without much trouble.

I also used to be able to speak a good word of French but while I still know almost all the important grammar rules my vocabulary has diminished dramatically. :(

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Going into second year spanish, but I passed a distric spanish equivalency test that's based off the one they give to adults in New York, so I think I know a bit.