Poll: Do you know more than one language?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I can speak German, English, Dutch, snippets of Russian and french and a handful of words in Spanish.

Trilingual!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I speak Slovene and English fluently. I also speak Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrian semi-fluently (don't be impressed; since they are all based on the same dialect, knowing one language means you preety much know at least 90% of the other three languages).

Frankly, unless the one language you know is very widespread, it is quite hard to get by in today's world without knowing more than one language. Nowadays, knowing at least one foreign language is practically mandatory, with two or more being highly recommended.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I'm from Sweden, I speak Swedish, English and Japanese.

Swedish is kinda obvious, since it's my own language. English because everyone here has to learn it in school and we're surrounded by English in the media everyday. Japanese because I wanted to learn it, so I studied it at university.

Jondare

Aug 23, 2010
Yeah, being a Dane, you kind of have to learn another Language. You can only get so far with a language spoken by 5 million people.

So yeah, Danish, English (Who saw that coming?) and a little german.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Yes.

I speak Swedish and English fluently and I can manage speaking Spanish semi-well too.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
English and French, though I'm terrible at speaking French and its my 3rd year taking it. Soon to be 4

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
joshuaayt said:
I am fluent in English, semi-fluent in FutureBasic code and vaguely familiar with C++

...Oh, those languages don't count? Blast. English only, then.
You speak computer so it counts.

I'd add that to the poll, but the poll is fed up with me.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
I speak English (duh), and my Spanish is good enough that I can say "my Spanish sucks" instead of "I don't speak Spanish".

Give me three years, and I should also be fluent in German. That is, assuming my foreign language class does its job...

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
Bulgarian, my first language.
English
Small bit of German
and small bit of Russian

GingieAle

May 2, 2011
Sadly no. My school is absolute shit at teaching French (as are all north american schools). So I can't really qualify my self as speaking it. But one day, one day, I will travel the world and I will learn another language. Just as my father has done before me... Seriously my dad speaks fluent French (which is a big help in French class).

Edit: I'm Canadian BTW

crazygator

Aug 17, 2010
KingofallCosmos said:
I see a lot of people interested in Japanese. Do it, it's not that difficult, as opposed to chinese or so.
Agreed. I speak English and conversational Japanese. Japanese is not as hard as people make it out to be. Though like all languages it takes time and dedication, just a little more so than some others. It's very front loaded though. All the hard stuff is in the beginning; verb and adj conjugation, syntax, grammar structure, and learning 3 different writing systems. Once you have all that down, all the mid and high level grammar is just applying the formula. Nothing really new. The biggest hurtle is definitely learning to read (and even more so to write). It takes a really long time.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I'm originally (and still officially) Swedish, but as I Grew up moving around Europe and Africa I have picked up some extra languages (including English, obviously).

I know: English, Swedish, French and a limited amount of Spanish (being able to recognize some words and phrases of Japanese, doesn't count)