Poll: Do you know more than one language?

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i speak english, and can ask french women if they want a shag. I used to be able to speak Gaelic.
thought about learning Hebrew for the hell of it.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
As a Dutchman, I speak Dutch obviously, (A useless language by the way) I speak English, basic French and German and I know the standard "Nani!?" phrases from the countless anime I watch. :3

I would love to learn japanese, but I've heard that speaking is not the difficulty but the reading and/or writing is?

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Heh, I don't know if completely broken Spanish with most of the phrases either spoken wrong or set up wrong grammatically counts as knowing another language. I'll just stick to English.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
No. Just english. I did learn Spanish for 3 years in secondary school, but it was so poorly taught that I barely remember any of it. The problem in the UK is they don't teach us a second language right from when were young, which is when they should start. Instead they waited till you're already a teenager and it's a bit late to start then.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Only english, and probally only english becuase languages are balls hard.

-From the US

Captcha: switching novens

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Natural Languages:
German (native), English (fluent), Latin (basics), Norwegian (basics), Swedish (basics), Italian (can understand a little bit), French (car read a little bit), Dutch (can read a little bit)

Programming: C,C++,Python,PHP,bash,batch,Java,JavaScript,C#,LotusScript,Perl :D

And yes, one can actually talk in programming languages.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
English, Filipino, Spanish (we were colonized by those white sods. :3), and a little bit of Japanese

- from the Philippines

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Dutch(native), German(decent), French(hate it), English((almost)native), Spanish(it's easy), Latin(it's a *****). That's about it :)

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Native English speaker, near-native-fluent in Japanese. I work in Tokyo for a Japanese company.

One thing I've always been sort of shocked by is the amount of pride people take in not only their native language, but whatever language they are studying. I think people, especially those who have not particularly tested their own language ability, tend to claim "fluency" in a second language even when they're at more of a "can get by as a tourist" kind of level.

I studied Japanese intensively for 2 years at a Japanese university, and have pursued it at least a few hours a day for 5 years since then and have only recently felt comfortable claiming myself as fluent. I don't see anyone but an idiot savant becoming "fluent" in a language in under a few years at least, and even then only if they spoke/studied it daily.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
Definitely.
Fluent in Dutch and English,

And I know my way around German and French.
More than enough to get me a few beers anyway!

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
English, Spanish (broken), and German (broken).

Ich habe eine katze im mein hosen! ^_^

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I'm fluent in Danish and English.

I can understand Swedish, and the older form of Norwegian, as well as most German words when I hear them, but I don't speak the languages or know the grammatical structure.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
My native tongue is Swedish, on top of that I'm fluent (or at least fluent enough) in English and I used to be fluent in Italian, these days I've lost a lot of it, but I still understand the language pretty well.