Poll: Do you like germany?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i am german and i like my country but hate my government(the current one, not government in general)
and the autobahn is overrated, while there is no law the speed is limited by the other drivers and since we had hundreds of years to build settlements everywhere there is always a slow car passing by the truck that is always driving on the right lane.

edit: because several people brought up censorship: games do not get censored by some government agency, they can be denied a rating i which case you can't advertise them and can't stock them on your shelves (but you can sell them from under the counter). To avoid this a lot of publishers tend to make subtle changes(like removing the dismemberment from fallout games) and then it's not compatible with other version in MP and if you important a game getting DLC to run is ***** but possible.
But since importing from the UK (or Austria if you like German translations) is very easy in this day and age it really doesn't matter much.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I don't really know much about Germany, German culture, or German history other than the nazis so with that limited knowledge to go on i am going to have to lean towards the negative.

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
Ich will Deutschland besuchen! (I want to visit Germany!) xD. But joking aside, I am mostly German and I've been learning the language (I enjoy it thoroughly). I also want to go and live there someday. Maybe not for the rest of my life because of their government is very different than our own, but experiencing the culture would be amazing to me.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
I've lived in Germany for the past four years, mostly as a student. It's a nice country, all in all - not without problems, but a better place than, for example, France or Spain. Keep in mind everything I say is based solely on personal experience - I've not done any surveys or anything, and since I'm a university student, I only really come into contact with certain sections of society.

I don't like the soccer fanaticism (and, conversely, the horribly offensive way a lot of Germans talk about women's soccer as not being a real sport), the fact that smoking is "just another way of life" (where I grew up, it was universally agreed smoking was a disgusting habit, and those teenagers who did smoke were usually ashamed to admit it), and the fact that there are certain seedy elements of society that like to hang around public places drinking and leering at passers-by (again, not something I ever saw in the Canadian suburbs where I grew up). I also hate the GEZ (extortion agency for radio, internet and television, basically), and the fact that there are two states (I think?) where far right parties have managed to be elected (including the one I live in at the moment, Saxony).

But I do like how people (the students I come into contact with) are often actually quite funny and casual. I've met a lot of French and Spanish people who just seem to take themselves too seriously, but Germans seem better at relaxing and shrugging their difficulties away. They also have more sensible attitudes towards sex than other countries I'm familiar with - sex is simply a part of life, just like it should be. I find they also have more respectful attitudes towards their friends - I've never had German friends try to push me to drink, smoke, say stupid things, or otherwise make myself uncomfortable (acquaintances are another matter), but I can't say the same about other European, Canadian, American or British friends I've had.

The German language is also really fun, and there are some very interesting philosophers and other thinkers I've been exposed to since I started living here. I also like how well everything is organized here - my sister lived in Spain and had such a hard time with the horrible bureaucracy down there. In comparison, I've had things really, really easy. Also, Germans make great pastries.

It's worth mentioning that I feel (today's young) Germans get too much crap from everyone for the Second World War, and they shame themselves way too much for it as well. Every German I know complains about how intensely the whole Nazi story was drilled into their skulls every year in school, and I get the impression the education system is actively encouraging teenagers to stop listening whenever the topic comes up. Not good.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I love Germany I love there for 6 years and met a grand total of 7 assholes, I meet more assholes then that here in America in one trip to the mall. Plus the food is delicous, the country is gorgeous, and everything is built to last, I never saw a cracked sidewalk ot pothole in my whold six years in Germany.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
I like to keep my relationship with Europe strictly professional so as to avoid any awkward situations.

[BDS]Omega

Mar 29, 2010
Yes. They make better beer than Americans and they make more reliable cars too.

Not to mention that all Germans I have ever met have been really polite and friendly. The leadership may have made a mistake in the past but those people are gone now. I like Germany almost more than my home country.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
My closest friend was born in Germany, so I have at least some fondness for the place.

From my travels around the world, I've come to the conclusion that people are people, no matter where they're from, what their culture is like, or what their history has been. A few are good, some are bad, most are somewhere in the middle. I haven't been there personally, but I suspect it's just as true there as anywhere else.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Germany is home to one of the worlds biggest Metal festivals (Wacken Open Air). You bet your ass I like Germany. Plus, they are responsible for some very awesome Metal bands as well.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Hell yeah!

I've taken German for two years now, and I've always had a burning desire to go visit the country. Hoping to make that a reality in the next year or so.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
What's not to love about Germany? They've given the world delicious food and yummy beer!

Besides, it's my heritage, so I can't hate on my fellow krauts. Would love to live there.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Ruka said:
See above.
What are you thinking about germans?
This is...an incredibly random question laced with uncomfortable undertones. Do you not like Germans or something? Have they done something to you?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Blablahb said:
I've spent many holidays there because they have nice cities and landscapes I can't find here in the Netherlands.

Pretty nice place, even if they have some serious issues with violent extreme-left groups they need to adress.
That´s violent EXTREME RIGHT groups!

the difference:
left wing violence is beating up Neo Nazies and demonstrating against the nuclear power plant mafia and other goverment activities that cater to the lobbyists and not to the people.

right wing violence is burning down immmigration asylums and their inhabitants beating up homeless people and smearing Hakenkreuz-Symbols on jewish graveyards is their least crime.

Being a FASCHIST is not an attitude - it´s a crime.