Poll: do you like jimquisition?

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
I'm not a fan of his comedy persona, but I really like the things he has to say. He's a smart bloke, and can talk about a more down-to-earth topic (e.g. Defending Call of Duty, his older episode about Host Servers) in a refined way which I wouldn't find elsewhere. Jim's kinda like a comedy character in the Escapist sitcom - he's funny since he helps break up the routine for all the other straight-men (Extra Credits, Yahtzee), even though you'd think that kind of guy is a dick in reality.

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
I'm surprised with all the negative feedback to be honest. He's funny and has some good points.

I'm just appalled at people saying he's full of himself and offensive. Do you not realise that that's sort of the point? That's like not liking Frankie Boyle for being offensive. That's what he does. That's his 'thing'.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
In the beginning he kinda annoyed me, but he grew on me by the third video, they are much much better.
Penitent said:
I'm not a fan of his comedy persona, but I really like the things he has to say. He's a smart bloke, and can talk about a more down-to-earth topic (e.g. Defending Call of Duty, his older episode about Host Servers) in a refined way which I wouldn't find elsewhere.
I agree. His persona sometimes gets in the way of his points to me. I watched some of his other videos on youtube and he really is smart and he makes really points, but I wish he would tone it down a little.

Aug 25, 2009
Simply put, no.

Every video series gets three attempts to impress me.

Yahtzee did it in one
ENN did it in one
LRR did it in one
Lisa did it in two
Extra Credits did it in two
Rebecca Mayes did it with the third vid

Game Dogs and Jimquisition made me stop the videos partway through on all three videos and go and do something else for a while to calm the rage before I returned to them. Jimquisition 1 was one of the worst things I have ever seen given any sort of 'professional' look, and frankly I think most ranting religious right wing shut ins would have been ashamed to have put out that video, and numbers two and three were so interminably boring they actually made me want to revise, or do my laundry, or trek across town to go shopping, or call home. All of which are activities I engaged in before finishing the videos.

Jimquisition is so godawful, I don't even think I have to add a clarificatory statement.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
No, his ebullience, hand movements and... chin, are all too off putting. That and the fact that he isn't funny...

Apr 28, 2008
I enjoy it.

Granted I enjoy his articles much more than his videos, but I still find them enjoyable.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
No, Jimquisition pales in comparison to shows like Extra Credits, Escape to the Movies, Zero Punctuation.

Awesome74

Jul 21, 2010
In the beginning I thought it was just some strange vulgar man standing at a podium for five minutes with random pictures showing up at random times. Now.. well, it's the same thing, but now it seems a bit more sensible. Heck, let's use his latest video as an example. In his first few videos it seemed that he thought he was the coolest thing ever and that we should too. But now his demeanor is a part of the joke. He also seems to get off his high horse more often than before and make rather good points.

Mantheron

Jul 10, 2009
I gotta say, I only watched the 'Too Cool...' episode, and not only do I think it's quite funny, I also think The Escapist is the perfect forum for it. The over-the-top-arrogant pundit style without any self awareness works better (for me, obviously) placed in this context of actual, uhm, punditry.

The negative emotions it conjures seem a little over the top, but then again, there's enough that pisses me off to no end when I should really simply ignore it, so just try not to pop a vein...

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
I will admit that the episodes hes put up on the escapist havn't been the best so far, but his original series on destructoid was great, so I'm still interested about what hes thinking, he is laying on the persona a hell of a lot more on the escapist which I am finding a bit annoying, the subtlety is gone.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Ravnican said:
No. I feel he not only doesn't say anything new or interesting, but he also believes vulgarity is a substitute for actual humor.
Wheres the rate a comment scale when you need one? Tis my feelings exactly.

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
I absolutely despise him. His show has poor production quality. Just standing in front of a blank wall holding a microphone and reading his lines whilst he doesn't even bother to edit out the lines he stumbles on. He just swears loudly to make it seem like he is invested in the drivel he is reading into the microphone. All of the while thinking up really controversial things he can say so that people will pay him and his "show" attention. *End of rant* Yes I do not like the show or the presenter.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
This is probably gonna sound a bit mean but I don't mean it to be.

Jim, like Moviebob and Yahtzee is an uncharismatic and unpleasent-to-look at guy. However, unlike Bob and Yahtzee who deliver their stuff in quick rants, Jim shows us this.

His points are quite interesting and informative but I feel he is presenting it in a format that doesn't suit his style or lack thereof. I'm not saying he should switch to the rant with slideshow thing but as it is it just doesn't work for me.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Jelly ^.^ said:
Yes, I like the Jimquisition, but I preferred the stuff he did for Destructoid.
^ My thoughts. Saw a bunch of him when he was there. Was doing a lot better than he is now. And even if you don't like his persona, his style, you must admit he often brings up good points. And what I like about his persona is that its a slap in your face that tells you to pull your head out of your ass sometimes.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I loved it on Dtoid...Love it just as much here, due to butthurt people saying "EC IS BETTER! WAAH! ESCAPIST HAS HIGHER STANDARDS!" in the comments.