Poll: do you like jimquisition?

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
Dammit, teh intarwebs prevented my lengthy post, so I'll keep it short this time:

Yes, I do like Jimquisition, but it's an acquired taste. The looks and sound of the show are cheap, Jim's voice is a tad too high pitched to be called soothing, and he talks in a kind of breathless and too quick way.

Also, I didn't like the content at first, as I thought it would be in depth commentary and analysis á la "The Big Picture", just for video games. But it is obviously not. As soon as I got rid of that expectation, I started to enjoy Jimquisition for what it is: A satire show with a generous topping of intentional "trolling". And as that, it's pretty effective. If you look behind the strong language and inflammatory statements, the show is actually quite thought-provoking, even if I don't agree with everything he says. (For example, I do think that the duke is effective satire BECAUSE it's played straight.)

So keep up the good work, Jim. Just catch a breath, talk a tad more slowly and possibly stand a foot or two away from the wall.

and this post turened out not to be much shorter than the original one...

EDIT: Also, it baffles me how negative his reception is, many people seem to take what he says quite literally and are offended, even though he outrightly states that his show is satire.

PeacanPie

Jan 17, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Oh joy THIS thread again. -_-

I like it. Not as good as his Dtoid stuff, but it's good. I get that some people don't like it, but there have been worse series on this site. Some of the arguments against it are fair enough, but a lot of them come off as pretentious whining.

My personal favorite? People whining "The Escapist has better standards than this!" When the most popular video series on this site is about an angry British man making various dick jokes in a review of games.

And as for the "We already have Extra Credits" argument, does another perspective or another show discussing gamer culture REALLY hurt the site?
Agreeing with this entirely. Though I love both ZP and EC, I'm not sure how him being here detracts from their shows. He's not replacing them.

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Oh joy THIS thread again. -_-

I like it. Not as good as his Dtoid stuff, but it's good. I get that some people don't like it, but there have been worse series on this site. Some of the arguments against it are fair enough, but a lot of them come off as pretentious whining.

My personal favorite? People whining "The Escapist has better standards than this!" When the most popular video series on this site is about an angry British man making various dick jokes in a review of games.

And as for the "We already have Extra Credits" argument, does another perspective or another show discussing gamer culture REALLY hurt the site?
I agree 100%.

I don't understand the irrational hate the guy gets in the comments. Jeez people, I don't enjoy unskippable but you don't see me wasting my time posting hate over there. Cause people enjoy that show so I don't even need to bother.

It irritates me that some people here think "Oh no I personally don't like this part of the site, therefore it must be objectively crap with no redeeming value and you all are crazy for watching it" like they are the only ones here with taste and they have to show the rest of us what to enjoy.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
So far, I haven't found him terribly funny. I get the joke of his persona, but it's done with too heavy of a hand. Doing a straight-faced parody is dependent on playing the joke as hard as you can without winking to the audience.

And he's yet to be particularly thought provoking with any of his topics. The episode on weird games probably came the closest, which can be summed up in one sentence that most people wouldn't argue about: if you're doing a weird game, make it fun for the player to be weird. His defense of Call Of Duty had some potential, but comes across like just about everyone who has ever whined about their uber-popular game becoming a popular punching bag.

But I enjoy his theme song.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I feel kinda weird replying with a reason why I don't like it despite the fact I watch it...

I guess that's because nothing else is on..

Anyway, back to topic...
It's not so much the vulgarity that gets to me, christ if someone is insulted by something like that they better DARE not step out into the real world...

It's just that he's repeating everything else everyone else has said before...
Sure, the "too cool to be cool" one makes a valid point I haven't heard before... But, it's not so much the topics covered as it is Jim himself... he's just like every other "heap up their ass" dingbat who thinks he's top shit.... Sure, that's probably just the character he's portrayed to be, but still... You don't win awards for being the best "self-motivator"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No I don't.I merely watch it to entertain myself and to see what other nonsense comes out of his mouth.