Poll: do you like jimquisition?

Sep 17, 2009
Nope. He is too direct, doesn't talk about interesting things, and is another ranter. The Escapist doesn't need another rant show, esecially when 2 of the 3 we already have are pretty damn good.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
I don't dislike him, I just think he serves no purpose. Between Yahtzee and Extra Credits I don't know why he's here.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Its alright. I'm not gonna vote in the poll, because I don't think this is a simple yes or no question. As been said, its not Escapist's finest. Jimquisition is no Zero Punctuation. But he makes some good points, and there is a little entertainment value, so I'll probably keep watching.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
i admit the first episode kinda urked me, but i like it now. its one more opinion show with some insightful topics. i don't think he has retreaded topics the other ones have done much, and he makes some good points. maybe his persona is acted out a little thick, but i gotta give him credit for doing that, when a lot of the others use slideshows and cutout-like representations of themselves.

YoungPeaches

Nov 15, 2010
I'd say I don't hate it. I frequent the Destructoid site and must have started to become desensitized to his persona because it doesn't really bother me. The shows have been getting steadily better, and I hop they continue to.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
not really, just another loudmouth fat guy trying his hand at dry humour, and i can only guess is satire...of sorts. seriously, between him and movie bob, if one more shows up, i'm gonna start calling "yahtzee clones"

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I like Jim ok. Its free content... so just remember you got more than what you paid for.

My complaint with the show is that ZP touches the comedic take on gaming, while EC takes the social introspective of gaming. The JQ seems like its going for the whole dark, Im going to tell the gaming community the cold hard truth regardless of if they want to hear it or not, but ends up coming off like the awkward phase between becoming a jolly fat man, and being less than a decade removed from your emo/goth/alternative/whatever days.

I do not want the escapist to remove the show, Hell, its decent content, just not what it can or prolly should be. At best it is a somewhat accurate pointing out of concepts that are pretty generally accepted. At worst (and in the case of what the show is going for, most effective) it invokes the emotion of "Your wrong Jim, and this is why" However that is fairly rare to occur thus far, and no where near often enough if thats the shtick the show is going for.

So let the show continue. At least till you find a suitable replacement. And while your at it Get Lisa to release a new EP. Robots has been on the main page for what? A month now?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
It's his last minute of hte episode that I can't stand.

If he stayed off of trying to cram as much bullshit as he can into an episode and lathering it heavily on the second half of the episode, I'd be more okay with it.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I only watched the first two shows and havnt since. In those two episodes Jim made some good points but it was everything else that I didnt like. The swearing was a big one for me because it wasnt done in some ironic or witty way to add context like when yahtzee does it. His version of swearing was just there and destracted me from the valid opinion he was presenting. Then there was the show itself which just seemed there. It wasnt like Zero Punctuation, Extra Credits, escape to the movies, or the big picture in the sense that it wasnt fun, interesting, or educational.

I know some people love Jim's style and thats great, Im glad they enjoy his show, but its just not for me so I dont watch it

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
His persona is instantly grating, and not in an amusing way. The character doesn't work because it isn't funny. He had to take the time to fucking explain the joke. The tone of the videos are annoying and every joke falls flat. He has no sense of timing or comedic presentation. He pretty much just says each tired joke with the same self-aware smirk.

I would say he should stick to writing, but his contributions to written segments so far were not even on the level of other contributors. Geez, it's only Yahtzee and MovieBob.

The most generous thing I can say about him is he is an effective troll. He apparently throws things in just to troll and get a reaction, like his idiotic take on Duke Nukem. What, you can't handle satire? Not even a little irony? You have to resort to trolling just to fill the time? This is what the escapist needs? Trolls? Is no one writing articles or reviews or comics that can take Sterling's place? Man I hate this segment. I have been using this site for years and years, and not once have I felt so strongly about featured content.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
UrKnightErrant said:
viranimus said:
I like Jim ok. Its free content... so just remember you got more than what you paid for.
That's not entirely true. The content is ad-driven, not free. People should no more tolerate bad escapist content than they tolerate bad TV. Personally I'd prefer they let him go and give someone else a shot at the slot.
Well I think that might also be contingent on your membership level too. Pub club members dont have the ads. People buy pub club for a lot of reasons. That also means they still have access to content other than the content for which they got pub club for.

As for quality of the show, It has all the same production value as anything else on the escapist. Beyond that is subjective opinion on what is good, bad or mediocre. I dont think the show is bad. I just think its fairly mediocre. And using the television reference, Think about what television would be like if we got rid of all the mediocre programming. You would have 5 hour a week of content tops.

I really think it would be better to gradually phase shows in/out to see what works and what doesnt, instead of abruptly stopping as they have done in some cases, or letting a show fade into obscurity. So unless something else has been established to be better, might be for the best to let it run its course till you can establish (not just replace) something else.

s far as I am concerned I will follow the words of Michael Ironsides "The job is yours until your dead or I find someone better"

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I find it alright. I didn't watch the first two episodes for fear of crappiness, though, so that probably helped my opinion.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Can't he have some sort of animation or something going.

No offence, but watching a fat guy scream for five minutes isn't really entertaining, now I'm not being mean, but it's true.