Poll: do you like punk-rock?

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
NO...

These bands are POP punk. Music that appeals to litle girls & teeny boppers. Green day back in their hay day were more punk rock than they have become nowadays. Rancid again were very punk but are no longer really respectable. You want real Punk rock? Look up Anti-nowhere League, UK Subs, Operation Ivy & The Exploited.

Thats Punk rock

EDIT:
SonicKoala said:
Dead Kennedy's Hell yeah! Gunna make a point of looking up the other bands on principle... TA chuck

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
Those bands where not even punk rock. They had pop punk roots. Listen to bands like Blondie, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, Buzzcocks, Patti Smith, Johnny Thunders, The Clothes, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Misspent Youth, and The Clash. Those where punk bands and sound nothing like your above named bands, and all where around when the roots of what was punk rock where laid down.

Hardcore punk took the place of punk in the US, With bands like The Misfits, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and I could go on, but you are getting the idea.

Blink 182 was never really more then a pop almost punk band while popular. Greenday was a hardcore/pop punk band until they reached megastar status, they lost the angst and are pretty much an emo band now. Sum 41 was always more of an alternative rock band then a Punk band. I see them with the label from time to time so I must assume some of their stuff reaches into the punk rock genres, just not anything I have heard from them. Not saying these are bad bands, just wanted to give everyone an idea so they didn't start saying their least favorite emo band was horrible and therefor punk rock is horrible. You kids these days seem to have no idea what real punk rock is/was.

If you lot can't tell I am big fan of Punk, and Hardcore, with some tastes leaning towards Psychobilly, Ska Punk, Folk punk, Celtic punk, pop punk, Oi!, Horror punk, and Grunge.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
S.R.S. said:
Only the old stuff though. Pre-grunge era.
Punk has nothing to do with Grunge. Punk is more of a political view of rebelling against the system & bringing anarchy. Grunge I always saw as more of a "merh I'm not gunna conform & I'll be angry at everything." Punk was always a matter of looking disturbing & outragous to what society dictated. Punk is a MASSIVE influence on what indy kids think they are doing nowadays but now it's become the norm. Go Camden in London & you'll se some true punks within minutes of getting off the train

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
S.R.S. said:
Punk has nothing to do with Grunge. Punk is more of a political view of rebelling against the system & bringing anarchy. Grunge I always saw as more of a "merh I'm not gunna conform & I'll be angry at everything." Punk was always a matter of looking disturbing & outragous to what society dictated. Punk is a MASSIVE influence on what indy kids think they are doing nowadays but now it's become the norm. Go Camden in London & you'll se some true punks within minutes of getting off the train
I didn't mean that punk and grunge were the same thing, far from it. I just needed a time period that shows there was no "good" (personal opinion) punk. I thought punk's essence/idealologies died with the vans tour IMO.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
manaman said:
Have you heard some of Sum41's later music? Literally post 2nd album they became a hell of a lot heavier. Hell man they always had hints of it anyway. Even that first track they released.

As for Greenday they were influential in my current taste in music but I agree they are now soooooooo EMO it does my head in. Dookie, Nimrod, Insomniac... Kerplunk AWESOME!

PUNK'S NOT DEAD

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Rancid0ffspring said:
S.R.S. said:
Grunge is a sub genre of punk that coalesced from hardcore, alt rock, and indy rock that was popular at the time in the Seattle area in Washington State. I lived in this state during that time. I am hesitant to say that Grunge is what got me interested in punk, becasue what I first identified punk as was a couple of early hardcore bands. The Misfits in particular, Black Flag as well.

As I delved more deeply into my new favorite genre (still my favorite genre) I quickly figured out the connection between grunge and hardcore. Listen a bit more to some of the early (mid 80's) grunge bands and not just Nirvana. They took more from the alt rock roots of the sub genre then the hardcore punk roots.

Rancid0ffspring said:
manaman said:
Have you heard some of Sum41's later music? Literally post 2nd album they became a hell of a lot heavier. Hell man they always had hints of it anyway. Even that first track they released.

As for Greenday they were influential in my current taste in music but I agree they are now soooooooo EMO it does my head in. Dookie, Nimrod, Insomniac... Kerplunk AWESOME!

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
You named Green day's best Albums right there. It all seemed to go downhill so quick after Nimrod, and even Nimrod had tastes of the flavors to come.

As for Sum 41. No I really haven't, everything I heard from them sounded kinda like a mix of hardcore and emo, commercialized up, and didn't appeal to me. Granted first time I really heard anything by them was well into the 2000's, but still didn't make a good impression so I didn't really look into them.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
S.R.S. said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
S.R.S. said:
I didn't mean that punk and grunge were the same thing, far from it. I just needed a time period that shows there was no "good" (personal opinion) punk. I thought punk's essence/idealologies died with the vans tour IMO.
PUNKS NOT DEAD.... (Check it out awesome album by the exploited).... You'll just find it was drowned by the tears of Emo kids & happens to be in a coma

Unless you really dig for decent bands you'll find new Punk bands are hard to find. Admittedly I lean more towards UK Ska punk nowadays. Check out Near the knuckle or Mediatrocity. Awesome bands that I've seen recntly. Got me skanking like a mother fucker

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Rancid0ffspring said:
S.R.S. said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
S.R.S. said:
PUNKS NOT DEAD.... (Check it out awesome album by the exploited).... You'll just find it was drowned by the tears of Emo kids & happens to be in a coma

Unless you really dig for decent bands you'll find new Punk bands are hard to find. Admittedly I lean more towards UK Ska punk nowadays. Check out Near the knuckle or Mediatrocity. Awesome bands that I've seen recntly. Got me skanking like a mother fucker
Sad that you where not around during the mid 00's in the Salt Lake City area. For some reason in Boise, ID and Salt Lake City, UT punk really is not dead. Really the only part I liked about the state was going to a show every other weekend, and occasionally running down to Vegas.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
manaman said:
Sub Genre? Yeah I can see what you are saying & agree. Apparently though... this is not my opinion I have to add... Emo is the natural progresion of Punk Rock, in the fact they do not care about what society thinks... God I hated the person who said that, just don't ask who it was. As for Misfits(I don't know a massive amount) Always thought they were a bit more Rockabilly (Nekromantix & Demented are go anyone?). but what a great band

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I've always liked punk, but I've only recently started really getting into it. I listened to Dead Kennedys and Misfits a little while ago and fell in love with them, (but, you know, a hardcore badass love). Unfortunately, most new bands that call themselves punk are not even close to the real thing, which is annoying when you hear people who think they're punks when they talk about Fallout Boy and whatnot.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
manaman said:
Ah... Funny you should mention Salt Lake City. Whilst I have yet to watch it there is a, supposedly, VERY good film called SLC Punk or Punk SLC. Either way I intend to watch it. As for films though I highly recomend This is England. Soundtrack is wicked. Mostly Skinhead music but not the racist kind.

Main thing I love about that film is that whilst its about skinheads, it focuses on the positive side of Punk/skinhead "culture" & points out the differences with the racist wanker skinheads. Main focus being when they talk about reggae melding with punk to become ska. Incredible scene

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'd say as a genre of music, it depends on the band. I like bands like Dead Kennedys but hate bands like The Transplants.

As a scene, it's a joke. It's something to laugh with friends about. They glorify anarchy in a capitalist society that controls it's population pretty tightly for large amounts of cash. It's hard to go on about corporate hate when you're part of a large corporate label. Personally, Dead Kennedys is as close as it gets to a pure punk spirit and even that has been washed away.

You have Iggy Pop in insurance adverts and you have Johnny Rotten advertising butter, two, what some consider, grandfathers of punk music getting involved in things they preached against. It's hypocritical. Modern punk is even worse as you either have people being stereotypically punk for money (e.g. Anti-Flag) or you have people who lost the message a while ago and you question why is it given the label of punk (e.g. The Transplants and Green Day).

So the scene is, essentially, a joke. A hypocritical scene that doesn't know what it wants while exploiting impressionable youth for money. Yes, people like rooting for the small man against corporations, David vs Goliath, but don't put on a little play for the kids when you're really friends. Off the top of my head, I'd say The Offspring is the only band that has done something I could consider "punk-like". Hell, you could consider Nine Inch Nails more punk than Green Day for crying out loud, since Trent has done more anti-corporate stuff than everything everyone in Green Day has done, put together.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
manaman said:
Sub Genre? Yeah I can see what you are saying & agree. Apparently though... this is not my opinion I have to add... Emo is the natural progresion of Punk Rock, in the fact they do not care about what society thinks... God I hated the person who said that, just don't ask who it was. As for Misfits(I don't know a massive amount) Always thought they were a bit more Rockabilly (Nekromantix & Demented are go anyone?). but what a great band
If you like Misfits, I'd suggest checking out The Creepshow. They're a female-led psychobilly/rockabilly band with obvious influences from bands like Misfits.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
lasherman said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
manaman said:
If you like Misfits, I'd suggest checking out The Creepshow. They're a female-led psychobilly/rockabilly band with obvious influences from bands like Misfits.
I raise your Creepshow with one Horrorpops. Not amazing but at last worth checking out... & of course the front woman is well HAWT. They got some really good songs, but can be quite hit & miss

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
I don't like Honest to Goodness punk from the actual punk era, but I do enjoy punk-inspired bands (Your Greendays, and a lot of the 90's post-grunge scene).

BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT: I needed to find a random forum to ask for help! I don't know how to start a thread. There's a thread that I've been wanting to start for some time now, and I can't figure out how to do it!!! Can someone help me?

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
lasherman said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
manaman said:
I raise your Creepshow with one Horrorpops. Not amazing but at last worth checking out... & of course the front woman is well HAWT. They got some really good songs, but can be quite hit & miss
Seems pretty cool... and uber hawt.