Poll: Do you Like Unlocking Characters?

UpcountryGecko

Oct 19, 2008
Depends how the unlocking is implemented. If you unlock by doing what you where going to do anyway then I'm happy for the 'you've unlocked [insert name here]'. What I hate is when they ask you to do something unenjoyable to make you unlock something which was heavily advertised so you'd assume that it would be there from the start e.g Subspace Emissionary and Sonic and Solid Snake.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
The only game I've played where you had to unlock characters was SSBB and I didn't mind that since I mostly played by myself, it gave me incentive to keep playing.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I'm fine with "You must kill X number of baddies or win X matches or pick a certain dialogue tree" unlockable characters.

I'm not fine with the ones that are tucked away somewhere that you wouldn't think about without consulting a strategy guide or being an omniscient mastermind.

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
I like unlocking characters in fighting, adventure and just about all action games. But I don't like having to unlock characters in shooter games or party games where I have no real reason to even get the other characters.

Helimocopter

Oct 5, 2009
not in a local multiplayer type thing
in a racing game, i actually kind of like car unlocks, so long as it doesnt always set you up with people with better cars

im always for cosmetic unlocks

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Only in Fighting Games.

Tekken comes to mind. I loved unlocking characters by beating the shit out of them.

ThatsBitch3n

Mar 25, 2009
i like it in most fighting games, but as ive heard about Super Mario Galaxy, you unlock Luigi, and then play the same game again, but basically just in a different skin.

Toastergoat

Jul 1, 2009
Think maybe there should be a choice when you load up the game, you know like a party mode. Tell the game "I've got friends over we want to play dammit" and it should give you all the characters. It would be nice to have a choice

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Yes and no. I don't mind a few extras tucked away. However, I HATE when I get a game I want to play online or with friends but have to play something I don't want to in order to unlock everything. Smash Bros Brawl comes to mind. It can take forever to unlock half the cast which is stupid for a party game. Street Fighter 4 required one to play the Arcade mode several times with specific characters, which got tedious, and unlocking Akuma and the other guy is a pain. I'm also not a fan of Modern Warfare 2 and it's unlocks because some of the later stuff is so good. Even with the nerf, Akimbo 1887's are ridiculously good, and someone who has them has a big advantage over someone who doesn't. I often feel like I'm screwed from the start since I haven't played the game religiously and don't have all the unlocks and pro perks.

Basically unlocks should be a bonus. It shouldn't restrict someone from the majority of the content, nor should it give someone an advantage.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
In a RPG sure, but when I got smash brothers and I had to unlock Sonic I was pretty annoyed. They hyped the hell out of him and Snake, even had them on the back and you had to do a lot to unlock them. Total BS and not fun.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Yes, i enjoy unlocking characters, if gives you something to work for. Which is why I didnt like Guilty Gear that much when I got it for the Wii, I mean..if you have someone to play with, I guess its fun, but when there isnt anything to unlock or characters or anything..then whats the point???

Also, they usually give a sense of accomplishment, especially if they require some diehard paying. Someone said F-Zero GX a while ago on here and it is a perfect example of it. I have unlocked all the AX racers on that game (without going to the arcade machine for it), that is no easy feat, and I think I deserve a medal of endurance for such a feat.

mklnjbh

Mar 22, 2009
It was used to a different extent in MW2 because you had to play for a certain amount of time to use the better weapons. I hate it with a passion.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
I think it is pretty awesome
Even if you have a bunch of crappy characters, there is pride in having many characters to choose from

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I dunno. I remember half of the fun of smash bros melee at the time was anticipating what new and exiting character we would unlock next. Now there isn't much of a point because all that shit is up on the internet before the game even comes out. Definitely not if the requirements are like "beat the last boss in 3 seconds with your TV off and no blocking" or anything overly time consuming like "beat the 6 hour game with 30 characters" but if they're relatively easy to unlock, so to say that your average player could unlock all of them with a bit of effort, yeah I like it.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Doomlord1375 said:
Well, it all depends, really.

If the character is advertised on the box, you should be able to play as him/her from the very beginning. However, it is nice to have a few secret unlockables at the end.
*Sees racing game with cool car on cover*
Awesome game! *buys game*

I can't wait to cruse with this sweet ride on the cover! *sees you start out with a clunker*
..... D: